Clueless Pattaya visitors

toenail

I have read those reviews as well. It would seem that many tourists never return because the beach is so polluted, in fact it seems the main complaint. Im surprized (not) that this isnt being taken seriously by local business. Wouldnt expect city hall to care but surely the beach hotels would do something to protect their futures. As an aside, at low tide on the beach opposite the Hilton you can stand in the warm slimy water that is the overflow from the Hiltons toilets and restaurants, but they are one place thats doing well so I guess they dont care either.

Why would the beach hotel managements care? The more outside the gates is offputting, the less likely the guests are to leave the grounds, thus eating at the hotel restaurants, shopping in the hotel arcade. They all provide a swimming pool, so no need to go to the beach anyway.

There is obviously a never ending supply of gullible western tourists that do no more research on Pattaya than look at the pictures in a travel brochure.

The beach polluted, LOL. Compared to the years of the great stink some 30 odd years ago, the sea now is pristine.

I was just posting the views of many people that have posted their reviews on websites, they wont be returning, might be a never ending supply but is it enough to fill the hotels, doesnt seem to be this year and can only get worse. Pattaya is a long way to travel for a hotel with a swimming pool.

I don't get the swimming pool obsession myself, but it's real enough. I know someone that would only stay in an hotel with a pool, and most tourists seem to spend a very long time lying beside it. Crazy, barking world we live in, pay lots of money to sit by a pool thousands of miles away, when could go to Spain, if in Europe, or Florida if in the US.

.................... but those su - ummer ni- ights................

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the swimming pool obsession myself, but it's real enough. I know someone that would only stay in an hotel with a pool, and most tourists seem to spend a very long time lying beside it. Crazy, barking world we live in, pay lots of money to sit by a pool thousands of miles away, when could go to Spain, if in Europe, or Florida if in the US.

Maybe it has something to do what this town was built on. wai2.gif

So what? If it's too sleazy and dirty for them there will always be a new crop. Or so the Thais think and why shouldn't they?

The crop may have gone from high yield to low yield

now days.

its a bit like the pie is the same but the filling is diluted.

Are you talking about the buyers, or the sellers ?

Absolutely not. Go to Hua Hin or any of the islands and all the expensive hotels have pools, despite being right by the sea. Even Chiang Mai is full of hotel pools. No you know what of any consequence in those places.

Absolutely not. Go to Hua Hin or any of the islands and all the expensive hotels have pools, despite being right by the sea. Even Chiang Mai is full of hotel pools. No you know what of any consequence in those places.

Are you referring to me ?

Are you referring to me ?

I was replying to you. "You know what" refers to "what this town was built on".

Sorry mate lost in translation.

don't know what your on about

Pattaya was built on the sex trade.

I was talking about tourists staying at hotels with swimming pools. Don't know why you think I was on about the sex trade, and people don't stay in hotels with swimming pools because they think every sun lounger comes with a free bargirl.

May be you should have one less chang then.

Excuse me.

But my point is people come here for the sex trade

that's way they don't go to Spain !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Always have done always will.

despite how people want to dress it up. facepalm.gif

Excuse me.

and it's much better that way, instead of trying to tout pattaya as a family destination - nonsense.

So what? If it's too sleazy and dirty for them there will always be a new crop. Or so the Thais think and why shouldn't they?

now days.

Both.

Low grade Chinese tourists, ( little money to spend)

Way to many business selling the same things

Excuse me.

Yes, many do, but thousands get fooled into thinking Pattaya is a family destination by the travel agent lies, and they didn't come for the sex trade. So my point still stands that THOSE people could find a beach and a resort with a swimming pool in Spain.

Talking of clueless visitors, the best example I ever saw was the farang woman that emerged from her hotel on 2nd Rd dressed up to the nines on the LAST day of Songkran thinking that none of the thousands of people throwing water around would target her. She walked off up the road only to return about 5 minutes later soaked through.

now days.

Both.

Low grade Chinese tourists, ( little money to spend)

That is the Asian way. In Singapore when I was living there in the 70s ( so ages ago ) a big building called Chinatown had about 200 shops all next to each other selling sari cloth. Never could work out how the guys in the middle ever made any money.

Excuse me.

Yes, many do, but thousands get fooled into thinking Pattaya is a family destination by the travel agent lies, and they didn't come for the sex trade. So my point still stands that THOSE people could find a beach and a resort with a swimming pool in Spain.

I kind of don't think so,

people can type in any destination on on the web and you can know all about the place in 2 minutes flat, maybe people are as stupid as your making out,

I don't know.wai2.gif

I would like to know how pattaya is marketed Boucher content wise in say China.

is it done as family destination but has a pic at the bottom of the girly scene of pattaya or is there no mention of any racy stuff at all.

Anyone know ?

Talking of being clueless, how can someone who claims to know so much about Pattaya, apparently spends so much time here, hates swimming pools come to call himself a thai beachlover?? Does he know what a half decent beach is because it certainly ain't Pattaya beach?

Talking of being clueless, how can someone who claims to know so much about Pattaya, apparently spends so much time here, hates swimming pools come to call himself a thai beachlover?? Does he know what a half decent beach is because it certainly ain't Pattaya beach?

Well, I certainly didn't go to stay in Pattaya for the beach, nudge nudge.

Over my many many years visiting LOS when I was working, I spend the majority of my time on the beaches of the south. I tried Samet and Chang, but they were both below average, Hua Hin was horrible, the beaches of Prachuap Khiri Khan province are amazing, Tao is too overbuilt and has rubbish beaches, Samui is too expensive now, but was amazing 23 years ago, Phi Phi was gorgeous 23 years ago, but is a pile of crud now, Phuket has only average beaches and has too many downsides to go there anymore, Railay had to have the best beach in Thailand but has succumbed to the resort disease, Lanta has fantastic beaches, but only bad reports in the past few years, so that left Phangan, which I stayed at most times- wonderful beaches, but get there soon, as once they complete the road they'll be concreted over with resorts and swimming pools.

Certainly didn't make it to many places, but there's only so many beaches can be stayed at in 3 weeks a year.

Thailand beach lover- better believe it.

BTW worst beach in LOS has to be a draw between the big beaches on Koh Larn, but that's what the Bkk money men want for all Thailand's beaches.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

I am very sorry for you that you live and work in Pattaya (NOT).

Did someone put a gun to your head forcing you to live in Pattaya?

Just tell you friend: "Pattaya is a dump and I am embarred to live here. Let me book you a hotel in Jomtien or Bang Saray", instead of bothering TV readers with your frustrations.

All this bitching about Pattaya is getting real old...

Curious as to why you are looking at Pattaya for your group, as contrasted with some of the other places you mention, if you feel Pattaya has all the problems you describe.

-- I live in north Pattaya; my work is a 20 minute drive from here; thus, this is why my friends are coming to Pattaya. I live here.

Edited by does

When you speak of Pattaya it generally refers to Pattaya City and surrounding area. I live in a lovely area 30 minutes drive from the city center. The center is like any other city except for certain areas. I use it occasionally for shopping, visiting restaurants etc. I wouldn't live anywhere else.

The trouble is that...Pattaya is advertised as a "Family Destination. Thailand wants families to come here? Several years ago, some daft woman in charge of TAT that was in a previous Gov that got punted - cant remember who was vaguely in charge at the time? Did a campaign in India to attract Indian families here for holidays.

Hence the sad sack Indian mum and granny sweating in a Sari pushing baby buggies along beach road behind some gormless dad wearing a long sleeve shirt, black dress trousers and black leather shoes with no socks.

As for the European guy walking down the Sois with the standard frumpy, middle aged granny wife, grey hairs coming through the blue rinse, with a face like thunder, there is no sadder sight.

I can think of a few sadder ones. But I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

So can I.

Excuse me.

I kind of don't think so,

people can type in any destination on on the web and you can know all about the place in 2 minutes flat, maybe people are as stupid as your making out,

I don't know.wai2.gif

I would like to know how pattaya is marketed Boucher content wise in say China.

is it done as family destination but has a pic at the bottom of the girly scene of pattaya or is there no mention of any racy stuff at all.

Anyone know ?

reading the reviews not many people seem worried about the racy stuff. they probably dont wonder the streets at night and they will know what to expect if they go to Walking St. Its the rubbish on the beaches and in the water that they complain about

When do Travel Companies ever give you a true summary of a destination, if they did they wouldn't be in business for very long.

What I have noticed in photos in the brochures they show the sea around Pattaya as bright blue, not the grey colour it actually is, nice bit of 'airbrushing'

Have you never seen a bewildered looking Western married couple wandering around Pattaya looking in an utter state of shock?

The wife in a state of total horror, gripping the husband's hand a little tighter; scanning his eyes intently, lest they wander so much as an inch towards the content of a bar; the husband usually looking deep in thought thinking "How can I dump the missus for a few hours and nip out to check this out on my own?"

It's a common sight along the beach front.

Exactly what I found in Hua-Hin 10 years ago. Me walking along with my now wife and one old chap's eyes rolling into the back of his head in despair as his missus was yapping on , still makes me smile.