Sakura on doi pui... Flowering yet?

happysanook

I was mountain biking up there midweek. Must've blinked coffee1.gif

I agree its pretty feeble but if you were a Thai visiting from Bangkok it would be more interesting together with low temps.

This is a photo from last year and it was taken on 23 January. OP It could be in full swing next weekend?

post-113867-0-77243200-1452428232_thumb.

If you have never been up there, as I hadn't, you should be aware that the final stretch of road is single lane, but is to accommodate two-way traffic. There are "shoulders" on one or the other side of the road, but the drop-off can be 90 degrees and very deep -- from a few inches to a foot or more, in the dirt.

I saw one pair of girls (Thai I think) who had had to move to the side and fell over the "shoulder" and ended up at the bottom with the bike literally upside-down on top of them.

The road has some serious potholes and unless you are familiar with riding two-wheelers, you need to steel yourself before going. I saw several tourist drivers with determined looks of both apprehension and fear on their faces (along with, "Oh shit, there goes the deposit"). Even a Thai cop on an old Phantom got sideways in the "shoulder" and just barely shimmied out -- with a big grin, I might add.

Needless to say, unless you are accomplished, don't take your chopper up there like I did today. It's not a suicide mission, but if you are unlucky and have to move off the bitumen, there are "shoulders" you would not want to try to get off of and back on the blacktop, particularly given you are either going very uphill or down.

If you have never been up there, as I hadn't, you should be aware that the final stretch of road is single lane, but is to accommodate two-way traffic. There are "shoulders" on one or the other side of the road, but the drop-off can be 90 degrees and very deep -- from a few inches to a foot or more, in the dirt.

I saw one pair of girls (Thai I think) who had had to move to the side and fell over the "shoulder" and ended up at the bottom with the bike literally upside-down on top of them.

The road has some serious potholes and unless you are familiar with riding two-wheelers, you need to steel yourself before going. I saw several tourist drivers with determined looks of both apprehension and fear on their faces (along with, "Oh shit, there goes the deposit"). Even a Thai cop on an old Phantom got sideways in the "shoulder" and just barely shimmied out -- with a big grin, I might add.

Needless to say, unless you are accomplished, don't take your chopper up there like I did today. It's not a suicide mission, but if you are unlucky and have to move off the bitumen, there are "shoulders" you would not want to try to get off of and back on the blacktop, particularly given you are either going very uphill or down.

Saw these pics on FB

post-99758-0-72529500-1452558738_thumb.j

post-99758-0-55814400-1452558859_thumb.j

Edited by MESmith

Before the concrete road was extended from Doi Pui to the village you never saw any of these traffic jams. The bombed out, steep cratered dirt road kept a lot motorists out. The villagers get more visitors because of it though, sell more stuff to the tour groups arriving in minibuses and songtaows. Weekends can be very busy when the blossom is out.