Which gardening approach is best?

sipi

The wife uses (what I call) "shotgun" gardening. Broadcast a hundred seeds and maybe 8 germinate.

I use (what I call ) "spotlight" gardening. Plant a dozen seeds and nurture them to get 8 plants.

Same result, different approach.

I guess it comes down to the price of seeds, which is practically nothing. And what plants grow where, which is where the wifes method seems to work best. If they die, they were never meant to be.

I generally scatter a little rice straw over the seedbed, seems to help. Anyway I am a great believer in sowing in rows. meaning you can easily do a first hoeing and then mulch. The people in the village don't like this.

It depends on the seed. If they are quantity seeds and/or groundcover, then sometimes it makes sense to broadcast. If special, few, or expensive, then individual. the depth of earth over top should be about the same height as the size of the seed. As with every rule, there are exceptions, like avocado (they can poke up a bit).

I reside in northernmost Thailand, but 2.5 yrs ago I was along the coast north of Krabi and noticed some amazing small trees. They looked like thin spiky aloe leaves and the fruit was like a big bright pink pineapple, but hard and inedible. I took one of the fruits, and carefully sprouted the seeds in Chiang Rai. Out of a start of 8 seeds, I got two plants now growing hardy (in spite of neighbors' goats, cows, sheep and whatever coming on to my land to graze - TIT). I'm now taking pieces from the two hardy plants (about a meter high and 1.5 meters wide) and propagating them. I've done similar with other plants - too many to articulate right here right now.