Heavy rainfall in January , whats going on ?

balo

Man made emissions, sometimes known as global warming.......oops, climate change, unless it's been renamed yet again to keep everybody on their toes, and confused.

Joking, incidentally. It's just rain in January as it was last year..

I"ve lived in Thailand for 27 years, There is no doubt climate has changed due to Global Warming. Until the late 90's the seasons were clearly defined as "wet" and "dry". And the "dry" season meant pretty much Zero Rain. Tree leaves used to turn brown by the end of the "dry" season. And then of course, what is the reason for Songkran Festival, it was started thousands of years ago to celebrate / signal / Welcome the coming of the "wet" season so farmers could plant their rice. And like clockwork back in the 90's the rain would start right around Songkran.

Make no mistake, climate change due to Global Warming is affecting every corner of the earth. It just shows up in different forms. For Thailand it means the end of a clearly defined "wet" and "dry" seasonal pattern. Lucky it doesn't mean the end of the "wet" season or we'd all burn up.

It's actually probably better now cause we get lot's of really nice weather in what used to be the "wet" season and vice versa we get rain when it should be "dry" season, but we must stop and consider why this change has happened so fast when normally climate changes this large are referred to in blocks of time such as 10,000 years.

Cheers

Yeah yeah global warming.

Last year, 2014, we had an unusual long and cold winter period with temperatures not reached in more than a decade and lasting for more than a month..

The usual global warming activists were screaming from the roofs that global warming was causing this.

Guess what. This year we had a very normal winter, with a cold spell starting before Christmas and ending shortly after new year as usual, but again GW activists are saying we have a winter that is too hot.facepalm.gif

I explained earlier in this thread already that 2008 was even worse than this year regarding rain in the beginning of the year, but in the 7 years between everything was normal.

Well, I guess people need something to complain about so let them complain, but global warming is just another myth to get money out of your pocket.

Yeah,yeah,they call people like you an ostrich.Global,get it,not just your plot.In my home town in Oz we just had our hottest winter after the hottest winter the year before.Now in summer,it is 37-42 most days,well above normal.Be glad to get back to cool Thailand.7 billion people cannot continually shit in their own nest without consequences,this is the result.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I promised them a nice sunny day and no rain , guess who¨s paying for the beer tonight...... bah.gif

take a trip to Chiang Mai.......little bit brisk in the morning, later 30 centigrades, clear blue sky.....

No smoke from burning fields today?

The first year I was here in 1996, it rained on Oct 31st, moved to new apartment that day, and was then dry until Feb15th, wife's birthday. This was the cool dry season I expected, even had a car with heater which I used in Christmas day '96!

Slowly over the years the length of the dry season has gotten shorter with more showers in January, and the temperature has ben increasing in the cool season.

Guess we have to get used to new seasonal weather.

Ever heard of the term "climate change"? Rain in December/January was a rare as rockin' horse poo up to a few years ago except in the far south and east of Thailand. This year weather is further disturbed due to El Nino. The weather patterns have been changing slowly for at least 15 years and not only in SE Asia.

Anyone who wishes for a drought here had to be sub-moronic. We did not get enough rain from the last (weak) SW Monsoon as it is.

And radiation leakage from Japan? Please keep that kind of twaddle in your empty head.

" And radiation leakage from Japan? Please keep that kind of twaddle in your empty head "

hmmmm.....Why do you see the need to launch insults? ermm.gif

I merely made the observation after reading a recent article that scientists are raising some interesting questions. One could say that you are the one that has the empty head because you don’t seem to be willing or capable of questioning the status quo particularly when there are some unanswerable anomalies. Some scientists have doubts about El Niño because of area of the Pacific which has heated up to an abnormally warm temperatures and covers a much larger area than ever seen before. Do you have any evidence to refute this?

Fukushima radioactive contamination is rapidly warming North Pacific seawater.

As of July 30 2015, NOAA sea surface temperature amnomaly maps, show that 60 to 70 percent of the north Pacific is abnormaly warm. Those same maps show that a massive area, ”as much as 50 percent ” of the abnormaly warm area is as much as 5 degrees celcius above normal ! While it is true that some of this warming is to be expected due to the ongoing EL NINO, this cyclyic phenomenom generaly produces abnormaly warm water in a region confinend to a few hundred miles of the equater ,beginning along the west coast of South America and extending westward to the central pacific. El Nino does not cause the vast majority of the Pacific to warm as it has now warmed. Has the radioactive waste pouring into the Pacific from the Fukishima meltdowns caused this warming ? I, do not know, but what I do know is that this vast expance of abmormaly warm ocean water stands a very good chance of wrecking havoc on the earth’s climate in the very near future

http://optimalprediction.com/wp/fukushima-radioactive-contamination-is-rapidly-warming-north-pacific-seawater/

First, thanks to UncleE for the only other relevant and accurate contribution.

For Asiantravel, my comment results from study and decades of climatic observations around the world, especially Thailand. I will apologize for what you took as an insult but you need to be better informed than reading just one article (and believing it) before you start positing Japanese radiation leakage as the reason for January rain in Thailand! Climate change combined with a very significant El Nino is the reason. If the Japanese radiation was that severe then the Japs would have no fish locally and deadly sashimi riots! Remember, the weather has changed everywhere, not just Thailand!!

Thank you nauseuswai2.gif

actually though I think you may have misunderstood.

I simply posted this information in this thread to perhaps stimulate a conversation on whether a sudden increase in the temperature of the Pacific Ocean (which is indisputable) would contribute to weather patterns changing in many parts of the world?

When you say I shouldn’t rely on one article, by now there are actually many articles on non-mainstream websites regarding this subject because you will definitely not hear it on the mainstream media. I would suspect as time goes by people are starting to realise they are not being told everything. For example when you say I should be better informed I would ask you how can anyone possibly be better informed about this subject when almost immediately after the nuclear disaster the Japanese government passed a state secrets act. This new legislation threatens journalists with imprisonment for up to 10 years for reporting anything negative about the Fukushima disaster. So while everyone thinks there is no longer any problem regarding Fukushima anymore-because we never hear anything about it anymore-it’s actually only because journalists are petrified about the threat of a 10 year jail sentence.

Incidentally when you said that if Japanese radiation was that severe they would have no fish locally. What about if those fish were not missing as such but are very badly contaminated? And even worse now fish and sea life as far as the West Coast of America. In fact on December 28, 2015 they found plutonium in the air in California. Please see item number 19 on the list in the following link which includes disturbing comments on a whole range of sea life and animal species.

You said your comments were based on study and decades of climatic observations. Okay I am interested and open-minded to learn from your knowledge and experience and I would like to ask you what factors made you instantly dismiss this as even a slight possibility to the extent that you referred to it as “ twaddle “? Why does it seem to you so implausible that radiation decay (which results in heat) from the waste water would not lead to warmer Pacific Ocean temperatures and thereby have at the very least some contribution to climatic changes if it is not the main cause?

I am genuinely interested in your answer because I am not prepared to dismiss anything because by now I know how much is being kept from the public. Keep in mind there has been 300 tonnes of this highly radioactive water pouring into the Pacific Ocean from the destroyed Fukushima nuclear facility every single day for the past 5 years.

http://thetruthwins.com/archives/36-signs-the-media-is-lying-to-you-about-how-radiation-from-fukushima-is-affecting-the-west-coast

Edited by Asiantravel

cold weather up north?blink.png Maybe up in the mountains but in Chiang Mai itself people were still going round in T-shirts and shorts when I left two days ago with not a hint of cold weather at the beginning of January. New Years Eve in Chiang Mai was a warm night. Very strange.

Look at the UK. Not a sign of any snow even in Scotland only flooding. These are incredible climatic changes.

What if this is the new climatic pattern that we will see for a long time?. People talk about global warming but surely this should be a gradual process over a long time and not the sudden rise in sea temperatures that has been seen in the past few years.

A very few are now commenting on the possibility that hot water radioactive waste that has been leaking into the Pacific Ocean continuously since March 11, 2011 from the Fukushima melted reactors could be heating the water as a side effect of radioactive decay. Images clearly show the added heat in the ocean.

This nuclear heated water is now surface water even though it may only be a few dozen meters in depth. Scientific studies have shown excess heat is being produced from this radioactive waste water and that heat is affecting the temperatures in the nearby Pacific ocean.

The idea that even a nuclear power plant could change the temperature of the Pacific ocean is pretty laughable.

Which images are you talking about?

We've had a steady rain for about the past hour here in NaJomtien. Raining quite heavy right now.

Yeah it just continued for another 2 hours, some flooding in Suk , I was driving the car so could watch all the bikes struggling in the rain.

cold weather up north?blink.png Maybe up in the mountains but in Chiang Mai itself people were still going round in T-shirts and shorts when I left two days ago with not a hint of cold weather at the beginning of January. New Years Eve in Chiang Mai was a warm night. Very strange.

Look at the UK. Not a sign of any snow even in Scotland only flooding. These are incredible climatic changes.

What if this is the new climatic pattern that we will see for a long time?. People talk about global warming but surely this should be a gradual process over a long time and not the sudden rise in sea temperatures that has been seen in the past few years.

A very few are now commenting on the possibility that hot water radioactive waste that has been leaking into the Pacific Ocean continuously since March 11, 2011 from the Fukushima melted reactors could be heating the water as a side effect of radioactive decay. Images clearly show the added heat in the ocean.

This nuclear heated water is now surface water even though it may only be a few dozen meters in depth. Scientific studies have shown excess heat is being produced from this radioactive waste water and that heat is affecting the temperatures in the nearby Pacific ocean.

The idea that even a nuclear power plant could change the temperature of the Pacific ocean is pretty laughable.

Which images are you talking about?

I wish it was something we could just laugh off................... I really really do.......................sad.png (more images on the link provided)

http://optimalprediction.com/wp/fukushima-radioactive-contamination-is-rapidly-warming-north-pacific-seawater/

post-149848-0-26451300-1452848903_thumb.

post-149848-0-53819400-1452848924_thumb.

Not a drop in Jomtien.

Many drops. Just drove through. But on Sukhumvit. Absolutely pouring 20 minutes ago. We hit the rain near Klang around noon. Never stopped.

These storms are often very localised and it didnt rain at all here then.

Even when it did finally rain here an hour or two later it wasnt as heavy as it was the other day.

Absolutely pouring down right now...

Still dry in Jomtien! Maybe we'll get some later.

Actually from my condo 30 minutes ago I could clearly see the big band of rain coming off the sea somewhere over Na Jomtien and extending out towards Huay Yai. It's all gone now and I can see Bang Saray again.

The first year I was here in 1996, it rained on Oct 31st, moved to new apartment that day, and was then dry until Feb15th, wife's birthday. This was the cool dry season I expected, even had a car with heater which I used in Christmas day '96!

Slowly over the years the length of the dry season has gotten shorter with more showers in January, and the temperature has ben increasing in the cool season.

Good. An observer!

Asiantravel

I have not misunderstood. The OP concerns January rain in Thailand! You have digressed from this mainly into the different problem of radiation leakage and I have not instantly dismissed anything. The Fukushima problem is unfortunate but any sea-level temperature rise is not purely due to this. Look at the graph in your later post and take a good look at the trend of Pacific Ocean temperature rise since the mid 1980's and then tell me if it so sudden?? You have just conveniently marked one of the troughs (2011). The other pic shows 137Cs levels not temperature! The website you refer to is one of many alarmist projects. Try a proper scientific source.

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts corrected

The last 2 days here in Naklua we had rain every morning for about 1 hour, my wife is quite surprised about it.

I don't buy the Fukushima theory as well, how many nuclear bombs did the US blow up in the Pacific after WW2 for testing purposes?

Good. An observer!

Do you remember the cold spell we had in March 2011. It was incredible and went on for about a week from memory. I think it was late March too.

I wasn't here for Christmas - January last year, but January 2014 was cold and it went on for a month - I was even thinking of purchasing a heater.

This year there were a few cooler days in December, and that's it. I could ride my motorcycle with T-shirt and shorts every night. Not once have I had to hunt down some long pants or a jacket.

Asiantravel

I have not misunderstood. The OP concerns January rain in Thailand! You have digressed from this mainly into the different problem of radiation leakage and I have not instantly dismissed anything. The Fukushima problem is unfortunate but any sea-level temperature rise is not purely due to this. Look at the graph in your later post and take a good look at the trend of Pacific Ocean temperature rise since the mid 1980's and then tell me if it so sudden?? You have just conveniently marked one of the troughs (2011). The other pic shows 137Cs levels not temperature! The website you refer to is one of many alarmist projects. Try a proper scientific source.

nauseus

( a ) I didn’t digress - I simply mentioned it was a question that more and more people are asking- i.e. is it possible there is a link between the two? You obviously firmly believe there isn’t. Others disagree with you.

( b ) you instantly dismissed even a SLIGHT POSSIBILITY that radiation decay which causes heat could contribute to the Pacific warming up because you referred to it as " twaddle " and insinuated that anyone that even considered this as a possibility was empty headed.

(c ) the second picture wasn’t meant to show temperature. It was meant to show the extent of dispersal of the material flowing into the Pacific

I submit even the proper scientific sources that you advocate wouldn’t dismiss any possibility unless it can be firmly disproved with evidence

I'm sure someone smarter than me could figure out the likelihood of it being a factor, considering that the energy required to raise the temperature of the pacific ocean should be calculable.

I rather suspect it would be similar to what would happen if I boiled a litre of water and then went outside and poured it into the swimming pool.

I'm sure someone smarter than me could figure out the likelihood of it being a factor, considering that the energy required to raise the temperature of the pacific ocean should be calculable.

I rather suspect it would be similar to what would happen if I boiled a litre of water and then went outside and poured it into the swimming pool.

but after you have poured your 1 L of boiling water into the swimming pool there is no further energy to prevent it from cooling rapidly when it mixes with the cool water in the rest of the swimming pool?tongue.png

This is not the case with this 300 tonnes per day of radioactive waste that is being dumped and which will keep giving off heat for years.