Heavy rainfall in January , whats going on ?

balo

I promised my newly arrived friends from the cold winter up north that you can enjoy the beach today .

And the rain is pouring down outside , did I forget it was raining last January ?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you did forget, most people have very short memory of weather.

I first came here in Dec / Jan 2005/2006. I remember clearly Soi 7 Jomtien being knee deep in water several times. Thunder and lightning storms. I thought it normal. It is the Tropics after all. I also remember back in Jan 2008 one night having to wear Jeans on the motorbike coz it was so cold even at just 40 kph.

So, your friends don't have to worry as tomorrow it will be........well maybe tomorrow never comes ?

It's been raining hard the past few days in various spots. We had a very heavy rain yesterday in Naklua, and barely a drop at our house south of Jomtien.

I can't remember ever having 3 days of rain in a row in January. December, yes. January, no. But my garden is very happy! LOL

cold weather up north?blink.png Maybe up in the mountains but in Chiang Mai itself people were still going round in T-shirts and shorts when I left two days ago with not a hint of cold weather at the beginning of January. New Year’s Eve in Chiang Mai was a warm night. Very strange.

Look at the UK. Not a sign of any snow even in Scotland only flooding. These are incredible climatic changes.

What if this is the new climatic pattern that we will see for a long time?. People talk about global warming but surely this should be a gradual process over a long time and not the sudden rise in sea temperatures that has been seen in the past few years.

A very few are now commenting on the possibility that hot water radioactive waste that has been leaking into the Pacific Ocean continuously since March 11, 2011 from the Fukushima melted reactors could be heating the water as a side effect of radioactive decay. Images clearly show the added heat in the ocean.

This nuclear heated water is now surface water even though it may only be a few dozen meters in depth. Scientific studies have shown excess heat is being produced from this radioactive waste water and that heat is affecting the temperatures in the nearby Pacific ocean.

When i took delivery of my bike on 14 january 2008, I wasn't able to properly ride it for over a month, because it would rain almost every day.

I remember I took an attempt at a trip up in the second half of February, and turned back late afternoon in the region of Chantaburi, because I had experienced rain all day and didn't see much of an improvement.

>>cold weather up north?blink.png Maybe up in the mountains but in Chiang Mai itself people were still going round in T-shirts and shorts when I left two days ago with not a hint of cold weather at the beginning of January. <<

It was cold here in Chiang Mai last nigh ,down to 13 c in places ,but it warms up to near normal during the daytime.Have not seen any rain up here for several weeks .

Typically we don't get rain in January but the El Nino weather pattern over the pacific has changed things from the norm and will do so for the next 2 years, Southeast Asia for the most part will get less rain and a bit warmer, as more of the precipitation will go toward the States and Western Canada

cold weather up north?:blink: Maybe up in the mountains but in Chiang Mai itself people were still going round in T-shirts and shorts when I left two days ago with not a hint of cold weather at the beginning of January. New Years Eve in Chiang Mai was a warm night. Very strange.

Look at the UK. Not a sign of any snow even in Scotland only flooding. These are incredible climatic changes.

What if this is the new climatic pattern that we will see for a long time?. People talk about global warming but surely this should be a gradual process over a long time and not the sudden rise in sea temperatures that has been seen in the past few years.

A very few are now commenting on the possibility that hot water radioactive waste that has been leaking into the Pacific Ocean continuously since March 11, 2011 from the Fukushima melted reactors could be heating the water as a side effect of radyyioactive decay. Images clearly show the added heat in the ocean.

This nuclear heated water is now surface water even though it may only be a few dozen meters in depth. Scientific studies have shown excess heat is being produced from this radioactive waste water and that heat is affecting the temperatures in the nearby Pacific ocean.

I live in Muang Chiang Mai, and whilst hot mid-day, lately it has been getting very cold at night once the sun goes down. Especially, last night and the night before when it was the coldest I've experienced here in years.

Re : The OP stating "Up North". Is this referring to just Thailand, or the World....the Northern Hemisphere ?

Edited by mankondang

Ever heard of the term "climate change"? Rain in December/January was a rare as rockin' horse poo up to a few years ago except in the far south and east of Thailand. This year weather is further disturbed due to El Nino. The weather patterns have been changing slowly for at least 15 years and not only in SE Asia.

Anyone who wishes for a drought here had to be sub-moronic. We did not get enough rain from the last (weak) SW Monsoon as it is.

And radiation leakage from Japan? Please keep that kind of twaddle in your empty head.

Man made emissions, sometimes known as global warming.......oops, climate change, unless it's been renamed yet again to keep everybody on their toes, and confused.

Joking, incidentally. It's just rain in January as it was last year..

I"ve lived in Thailand for 27 years, There is no doubt climate has changed due to Global Warming. Until the late 90's the seasons were clearly defined as "wet" and "dry". And the "dry" season meant pretty much Zero Rain. Tree leaves used to turn brown by the end of the "dry" season. And then of course, what is the reason for Songkran Festival, it was started thousands of years ago to celebrate / signal / Welcome the coming of the "wet" season so farmers could plant their rice. And like clockwork back in the 90's the rain would start right around Songkran.

Make no mistake, climate change due to Global Warming is affecting every corner of the earth. It just shows up in different forms. For Thailand it means the end of a clearly defined "wet" and "dry" seasonal pattern. Lucky it doesn't mean the end of the "wet" season or we'd all burn up.

It's actually probably better now cause we get lot's of really nice weather in what used to be the "wet" season and vice versa we get rain when it should be "dry" season, but we must stop and consider why this change has happened so fast when normally climate changes this large are referred to in blocks of time such as 10,000 years.

Cheers

Man made emissions, sometimes known as global warming.......oops, climate change, unless it's been renamed yet again to keep everybody on their toes, and confused.

Joking, incidentally. It's just rain in January as it was last year..

I"ve lived in Thailand for 27 years, There is no doubt climate has changed due to Global Warming. Until the late 90's the seasons were clearly defined as "wet" and "dry". And the "dry" season meant pretty much Zero Rain. Tree leaves used to turn brown by the end of the "dry" season. And then of course, what is the reason for Songkran Festival, it was started thousands of years ago to celebrate / signal / Welcome the coming of the "wet" season so farmers could plant their rice. And like clockwork back in the 90's the rain would start right around Songkran.

Make no mistake, climate change due to Global Warming is affecting every corner of the earth. It just shows up in different forms. For Thailand it means the end of a clearly defined "wet" and "dry" seasonal pattern. Lucky it doesn't mean the end of the "wet" season or we'd all burn up.

It's actually probably better now cause we get lot's of really nice weather in what used to be the "wet" season and vice versa we get rain when it should be "dry" season, but we must stop and consider why this change has happened so fast when normally climate changes this large are referred to in blocks of time such as 10,000 years.

Cheers

Yeah yeah global warming.

Last year, 2014, we had an unusual long and cold winter period with temperatures not reached in more than a decade and lasting for more than a month..

The usual global warming activists were screaming from the roofs that global warming was causing this.

Guess what. This year we had a very normal winter, with a cold spell starting before Christmas and ending shortly after new year as usual, but again GW activists are saying we have a winter that is too hot.facepalm.gif

I explained earlier in this thread already that 2008 was even worse than this year regarding rain in the beginning of the year, but in the 7 years between everything was normal.

Well, I guess people need something to complain about so let them complain, but global warming is just another myth to get money out of your pocket.

Ever heard of the term "climate change"? Rain in December/January was a rare as rockin' horse poo up to a few years ago except in the far south and east of Thailand. This year weather is further disturbed due to El Nino. The weather patterns have been changing slowly for at least 15 years and not only in SE Asia.

Anyone who wishes for a drought here had to be sub-moronic. We did not get enough rain from the last (weak) SW Monsoon as it is.

And radiation leakage from Japan? Please keep that kind of twaddle in your empty head.

" And radiation leakage from Japan? Please keep that kind of twaddle in your empty head "

hmmmm.....Why do you see the need to launch insults? ermm.gif

I merely made the observation after reading a recent article that scientists are raising some interesting questions. One could say that you are the one that has the empty head because you don’t seem to be willing or capable of questioning the status quo particularly when there are some unanswerable anomalies. Some scientists have doubts about El Niño because of area of the Pacific which has heated up to an abnormally warm temperatures and covers a much larger area than ever seen before. Do you have any evidence to refute this?

Fukushima radioactive contamination is rapidly warming North Pacific seawater.

As of July 30 2015, NOAA sea surface temperature amnomaly maps, show that 60 to 70 percent of the north Pacific is abnormaly warm. Those same maps show that a massive area, ”as much as 50 percent ” of the abnormaly warm area is as much as 5 degrees celcius above normal ! While it is true that some of this warming is to be expected due to the ongoing EL NINO, this cyclyic phenomenom generaly produces abnormaly warm water in a region confinend to a few hundred miles of the equater ,beginning along the west coast of South America and extending westward to the central pacific. El Nino does not cause the vast majority of the Pacific to warm as it has now warmed. Has the radioactive waste pouring into the Pacific from the Fukishima meltdowns caused this warming ? I, do not know, but what I do know is that this vast expance of abmormaly warm ocean water stands a very good chance of wrecking havoc on the earth’s climate in the very near future

http://optimalprediction.com/wp/fukushima-radioactive-contamination-is-rapidly-warming-north-pacific-seawater/

" And radiation leakage from Japan? Please keep that kind of twaddle in your empty head "

hmmmm.....Why do you see the need to launch insults? ermm.gif

I merely made the observation after reading a recent article that scientists are raising some interesting questions. One could say that you are the one that has the empty head because you don’t seem to be willing or capable of questioning the status quo particularly when there are some unanswerable anomalies. Some scientists have doubts about El Niño because of area of the Pacific which has heated up to an abnormally warm temperatures and covers a much larger area than ever seen before. Do you have any evidence to refute this?

Fukushima radioactive contamination is rapidly warming North Pacific seawater.

As of July 30 2015, NOAA sea surface temperature amnomaly maps, show that 60 to 70 percent of the north Pacific is abnormaly warm. Those same maps show that a massive area, ”as much as 50 percent ” of the abnormaly warm area is as much as 5 degrees celcius above normal ! While it is true that some of this warming is to be expected due to the ongoing EL NINO, this cyclyic phenomenom generaly produces abnormaly warm water in a region confinend to a few hundred miles of the equater ,beginning along the west coast of South America and extending westward to the central pacific. El Nino does not cause the vast majority of the Pacific to warm as it has now warmed. Has the radioactive waste pouring into the Pacific from the Fukishima meltdowns caused this warming ? I, do not know, but what I do know is that this vast expance of abmormaly warm ocean water stands a very good chance of wrecking havoc on the earth’s climate in the very near future

http://optimalprediction.com/wp/fukushima-radioactive-contamination-is-rapidly-warming-north-pacific-seawater/

First, thanks to UncleE for the only other relevant and accurate contribution.

For Asiantravel, my comment results from study and decades of climatic observations around the world, especially Thailand. I will apologize for what you took as an insult but you need to be better informed than reading just one article (and believing it) before you start positing Japanese radiation leakage as the reason for January rain in Thailand! Climate change combined with a very significant El Nino is the reason. If the Japanese radiation was that severe then the Japs would have no fish locally and deadly sashimi riots! Remember, the weather has changed everywhere, not just Thailand!!