Munich or Frankfort? Lufthansa?

bangmai

I'm getting ready to purchase a ticket from Washington DC to Chiang Mai with Star Alliance partners. Looks like the only option bypassing BKK, is about a 37 hour flight. I do like PEK, though...1 Dollar beers and a place to shower....So that leaves a number of Europeann options...using Lufthansa and changing planes in Frankfort or Munich. Does Lufthansa have free beers? Is it significantly better than United? Is one airport better than the other? I've gone through Frankfort, and it was OK, lots of grouchy passengers, who were just starting their trip, while I had already red-eyed across the Atlantic. Any recs on a better route would be appreciated...this way, I get about 2 hours in Germany and about the same IN bkk.

Can not contribute much as I can not remember having flown with United ever.

Lufthansa was a quality airline going south. Fly before they reach low cost carrier level (in economy, can't write about business/first).

At least for short haul they are on the LCC path.

Staff is professional but not what you what you would call overly friendly.

Free beers still available.

Munich is not that crowded/cramped as Frankfurt.

Its a modern airport (steel/glass) while Frankfurt is a bit worn out/rag rug.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I would indeed fly Lufthansa via Munich. Munich has been voted one of the worlds best Airports for many years. Not sure how to compare LH with UA, as I only had one short haul UA flight MEX - LAX (2014) in recent years.

Don't let others fool you - Germans are usually extremely critical when it comes to LH, but there is a reason why LH has been voted best European Airline by Asian flyers several times.

Of course, same as KLM, AF, BA, they need to cut expenses, so don't expect a sumptuous meal or a particularly generous leg room. Yes they do serve beers for free on long haul flights. You should be fine flying LH

Don't let others fool you - Germans are usually extremely critical when it comes to LH

Germans and others having lived in Germany biggrin.png

or a particularly generous leg room.

In economy both UA and LH are not different (31 or 32).

BUT UA offers an Economy Plus with 35.

A question of price.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Don't hesitate, transit via Munich. Much nicer airport and considerably easier to navigate (and less walking) than Frankfurt.

Munich also has Paulaner Weissbeer on tap - a very tasty Bavarian brew indeed.

I like LH quite a bit and would rate it higher than United on the efficiency scale. FAs aren't overly friendly but they won't be openly hostile like some of the curmudgeons on UA.

If I remember correctly, you can choose your seat online on the LH website beginning 23 hours before your flight departs.