Recommend me a new laptop under 20,000 baht.

giddyup

Think it's time to upgrade my old emachines D732Z laptop that I've had for over 5 years, it's served me well but I think it's time for a new one. Don't want to spend more than 20 grand, want at least a 15.5" screen and one TB memory. Also needs at least 3 preferably 4 USB connections. I'm not that computer savvy so any advice appreciated.

With your specs and in your price range, I would go for this notebook by Lenovo: https://www.advice.co.th/product/notebook/notebook-lenovo/notebook-lenovo-ideapad300-80q700ggta-black-

Please note that this PC is not provided by default with Microsoft Windows (although, it is usually not really a problem to have it installed by the shop where you will buy your new notebook).

I suggest that you go to this URL: http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/notebooks-laptops/ then sort by lowest price. You will see lots listed, your specs are quite high, its the 15" screen. There is a Dell Inspiron 3542-W561129TH. I have sold many Dells to my customers never had any problems with them, they are well build and reliable. This one is 18,790, has an i5 CPU, thats a good and fast CPU, 500 Gb hard disk, bit small, 4 Gb RAM, with DVD and Web cam. Its a good spec. No Windows though, you can get a copy of Windows 10 Home from the same site for 3,990. Baht. I would strongly not recommend getting any machine that does not have a fully legal copy of Windows. You could always use Linux, which is free, its pretty the same operating system that is used on Android phones. If you are prepared to try something new Linux is a good way to go cause its free and there are 10.000 of software programs that will run on it. There are lots of versions of Linux, I would suggest Ubuntu.

Edited by howsthat

I suggest that you go to this URL: http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/notebooks-laptops/ then sort by lowest price. You will see lots listed, your specs are quite high, its the 15" screen. There is a Dell Inspiron 3542-W561129TH. I have sold many Dells to my customers never had any problems with them, they are well build and reliable. This one is 18,790, has an i5 CPU, thats a good and fast CPU, 500 Gb hard disk, bit small, 4 Gb RAM, with DVD and Web cam. Its a good spec.

I would go for the Dell.....I didn't think that living in Asia I would be buying something made in the USA...but I did last year, & I am really happy with it. With external Hard drives getting so small & cheap---I wouldn't get to hung up on the size of the internal one.

You can get yourself a very good priced laptop online through someone like Lazada. Plus if you wanted to save a bit extra you can get 5% cashback from a site like deedeecashback.com which = 800 baht on 20k laptop.

Here is a quick search:

http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-laptops/?display_size=15.6&hdd_size=1000&sort=priceasc&dir=asc

My advice would be to get a laptop with at least 4GB RAM (more if you can) - as this will improve its overall performance/speed when using it. Plus go for an i5 or better processor. They are the main things really to ensure you get a decent enough laptop.

Hope this helps.

Where are you located??

I may have a second hand Acer, going cheap, for sale with pre loaded windows 7 now upgraded online to windows 10.

It has a good quality carry bag too and Norton 360 for 1.5 years remaining ( I paid for three computers for 2 years up front ) plus windows office.

Send a message if you wish.

I never use it as I find at home I like my desktop and outside I use my i pad or Samsung phone. Plus, I used to get cheesed of unpacking it at airports for the scanners.

I suggest that you go to this URL: http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/notebooks-laptops/ then sort by lowest price. You will see lots listed, your specs are quite high, its the 15" screen. There is a Dell Inspiron 3542-W561129TH. I have sold many Dells to my customers never had any problems with them, they are well build and reliable. This one is 18,790, has an i5 CPU, thats a good and fast CPU, 500 Gb hard disk, bit small, 4 Gb RAM, with DVD and Web cam. Its a good spec. No Windows though, you can get a copy of Windows 10 Home from the same site for 3,990. Baht. I would strongly not recommend getting any machine that does not have a fully legal copy of Windows. You could always use Linux, which is free, its pretty the same operating system that is used on Android phones. If you are prepared to try something new Linux is a good way to go cause its free and there are 10.000 of software programs that will run on it. There are lots of versions of Linux, I would suggest Ubuntu.

Linux Lime is probably better for first time users of Linux

1 terrabyte = 1000 gigabytes. 1 gigabyte = 1000 megabytes. 1 megabyte = 1,000,000 bytes. 1 byte = 8 bits.

i think that you mean at least 1 terrabyte of storage like a hard drive.

memory is usually at least 1 gigabyte if not 2 or even 4 gigabytes.

i concur that any asus or acer would be good.

i concur that linux is good. i prefer debian linux.

it is confusing because tablets and telephones running android quote memory and storage as the same thing.

It seems to me that hardware specs be of subordinate importance to software requirements. That is to say: What are you going to do with this computer? The OP acknowledges their lack of computer savvy and jobsworth's post on memory vs. storage and the lack of a processor spec seem to underscored that lack of knowledge.

Are you running proprietary software that requires Windows? Are you playing FPS games? Are you dealing with huge databases? Are you rendering large video files?

If these are your needs then you will want a lot of processing power, RAM, storage (SSD), and USB-3 or Thunderbolt. And, Linux is probably a non-starter. BTW, Linux is great but is usually a huge and undesirable learning opportunity for someone who just wants to use their computer as a tool to get work done.

Or are you surfing the web, using email, Facebook, YouTube, Netflix, playing music, etc. Since this is what the vast majority of people do with their computer you might want to consider something that meets none of your specs but will work without the worries of malware like a Chromebook or even an iPad.

for 20.000 baht, you should get 15.6", an i7 CPU, full HD (1920*1080), 8 GB RAM and 1TB HDD, with a genuine Windows 10.

Examples are

ASUS X555LA-DM1111T

Dell 15 5000

I looked on invadeit for some deals, but their laptop offers were all very overpriced.

I would advise the OP to shop abroad.

I suggest that you go to this URL: http://www.invadeit.co.th/category/notebooks-laptops/ then sort by lowest price. You will see lots listed, your specs are quite high, its the 15" screen. There is a Dell Inspiron 3542-W561129TH. I have sold many Dells to my customers never had any problems with them, they are well build and reliable. This one is 18,790, has an i5 CPU, thats a good and fast CPU, 500 Gb hard disk, bit small, 4 Gb RAM, with DVD and Web cam. Its a good spec.

I would go for the Dell.....I didn't think that living in Asia I would be buying something made in the USA...but I did last year, & I am really happy with it. With external Hard drives getting so small & cheap---I wouldn't get to hung up on the size of the internal one.

-----------------------

I hate to disappoint you, but when I worked for the U.S. army as a communications technician, we had them putchase new Dell computers for our site.

It was a U.S. military bulk purchase.

I saw the shipping crates when they were delivered.

All those Dell computer systems were made and shipped from China.

for 20.000 baht, you should get 15.6", an i7 CPU, full HD (1920*1080), 8 GB RAM and 1TB HDD, with a genuine Windows 10.

Examples are

ASUS X555LA-DM1111T

Dell 15 5000

I looked on invadeit for some deals, but their laptop offers were all very overpriced.

I would advise the OP to shop abroad.

Agree. Or the 455LA. Both can be found on Lazada.co.th

As I type this I'm on a Dell something or other (8GB memory, 1TB drive. I got an Asus something or other two days ago (also 8GB/1TB) as a failover. I don't know the specs as I'm too lazy to look at it, but the point being that for the price you're considering you can get what you want and it's very hard to get it wrong. I worked in IT for about 30 years where I had to know the details (I don't now, as it bores me stupid), but these days I treat it like buying a packet of crisps - it's not like you have to tweak and tune every aspect anymore - you can find them at the local shop next to the washing machines and microwave department. They're all good and it's an extremely competitive market. If you close your eyes and point at one, you'll get something decent.

I had 3 dell's and I like them but when look at the latest XPs they have no cd/did drive. How do i load programs I have on disc. Yes I can get a separate drive but that is just a pain in the ass. And if I want to burn music or movies well that won't happen with out a external.

I had 3 dell's and I like them but when look at the latest XPs they have no cd/did drive. How do i load programs I have on disc. Yes I can get a separate drive but that is just a pain in the ass. And if I want to burn music or movies well that won't happen with out a external.

You have your Dell custom built....do it online on by 'phone. They have outstanding customer service.

You have your Dell custom built....do it online on by 'phone. They have outstanding customer service.

or just use an external optical drive

ASUS, guaranteed the best specs with the lowest prices. My current one used for 5 years now, and still works like the first day I bought it. And I am an everyday heavy user. I have used the other brands before, and all of them "gets old", slow downs, higher loud fan noises, high temperatures, what nots, but not Asus.

Where are you located??

I may have a second hand Acer, going cheap, for sale with pre loaded windows 7 now upgraded online to windows 10.

It has a good quality carry bag too and Norton 360 for 1.5 years remaining ( I paid for three computers for 2 years up front ) plus windows office.

Send a message if you wish.

I never use it as I find at home I like my desktop and outside I use my i pad or Samsung phone. Plus, I used to get cheesed of unpacking it at airports for the scanners.

I'm in Lopburi...occasionally come to BKK. I need one for email, facebook, youtube and surfing (basic)......How much?