Uruguay: an example for Thailand?

webfact

Uruguay: an example for Thailand?
BY LARRY BANKS

Solar-Power-Thailand.jpg

BANGKOK: -- As the Thai government pours money into alternative energy, an encouraging example is emerging from an unlikely place: South America.

“We have to recognize that the water crisis and aggression against the environment are not the cause [of climate change]. The cause is the model of civilization that we have set up. And what we have to change is our way of life”. – José Mujica – the world’s poorest president, President of Uruguay 2010-2015

Back in June 2015, Thailand’s Ministry of Energy embarked on plans to greatly reduce the country’s reliance on imported fuels. It implemented the Alternative Energy Development Plan (AEDP), with the aim of a 170% increase in alternative energy capacity by 2035.

A quick walk through the streets of Bangkok during rush hour makes that plan look ridiculously ambitious; yet there is an impressive example some 17,000 km away, in Montevideo.

Full story: http://ethailand.com/featured-news/uruguay-thailand-solar-power/1294/

-- eThailand 2016-01-12

I'm looking at retirement in the 10 years or so, I've been looking into Uruguay. Pretty sure Thailand has seen it's best days and after this trip I'm losing interest on returning. Uruguay OTOH, has a language I can manage plus if what I've been reading is true, owning land is much easier. All inn all much better conditions for a non-resident to live there.

I doubt I would be changing countries (and continents) based on a fluff article. Then again I have enough electrical generation/distribution experience to understand the grid control problems posed by uncontrolled inputs and the need for some form of energy storage.

Uruguay has an excellent football team given the size of its population and I believe law makers there recently legalised cannabis.

Thailand could do far worse than follow the example Uruguay!

WOW!

Cannabis legalised and watching Luis Suarez play football.

How much is a 1st class ticket to Montevideo?

On second thougts,I'll travel economy and the savings I make can be put to buying a great big bin liner full of greenery and a 60 inch widescreen,to watch Luis perform his magic.

There is almost nothing similar between Thailand and Uruguay that would cause Uruguay to be a model for Thailand in the energy sector. Aside from the physical, trade, religious and social disparities, there are the cultural disparities:

Uruguay Thailand

Corruption Index 21 85

Global Peace Index 44 126

Democracy Index 17 93

Form of government Presidential representative questionable

democratic republic

Thailand should be looking to creating its own model for energy and environmental sustainability. That is the essence of what Uruguay has done.

Uruguay has an excellent football team given the size of its population and I believe law makers there recently legalised cannabis.

Thailand could do far worse than follow the example Uruguay!

Yes, legal cannabis. Uruguay got out from under the thumb of Washington's drug war, good for them.

Uruguay Thailand

Corruption Index 21 85

Global Peace Index 44 126

Democracy Index 17 93

Form of government Presidential representative questionable

democratic republic

how is the monger index in uruguay? serious question. is it a place that attracts white trash and sextourists ? i'm also a bit done with prayuthland so please enlight me..................... thumbsup.gif

Uruguay an " unlikely place" as an example??? Maybe because it is at a completely different level than Thailand because of its lack of being a policestate full of corruption?

There is NO comparison. Thailand should be happy if it can keep up with the neighbours for the coming 10 years.

Uruguay an " unlikely place" as an example??? Maybe because it is at a completely different level than Thailand because of its lack of being a policestate full of corruption?

There is NO comparison. Thailand should be happy if it can keep up with the neighbours for the coming 10 years.

Indeed. Thailand needs to look at models and to be mindful of the changes going on around it. It runs the risk of becoming the poor man of Asia and consigning future generations to be "Hewers of wood and carriers of water"

A major problem for both solar and wind turbine energy is how do you store the energy until needed? The output from gas and coal plants can be adjusted as requirements dictate but not solar and turbine farms. Until the storage problem is resolved, substantial amounts of electricity from these sources is not commercially feasible.

Uruguay is the one place on earth I am sorely tempted to check out as an alternative place to settle.

it is as boring as it gets and feels like Italy anyway (same as Argentina). If you have lived in Thailand before, Colombia or Costa Rica would make much more sense. Plus Uruguay is VERY expensive - Hotels, for example, cost as much as in my European home country.

Been there, done that, not going back. Ah okay, BRAZIL is next door so this is like living in Singapore and traveling to Thailand every now and then to escape the boredom and prude environment rolleyes.gif