Sister of murdered backpacker Hannah Witheridge receives death threats

webfact

Sister of murdered backpacker receives death threats

sis.png
Image: Facebook.com

LONDON: -- The sister of Hannah Witheridge, who was brutally murdered in Thailand, says she's received death threats.

Posting a Facebook status, Laura Witheridge writes: "They defaced photographs of me saying that the killers had only done 'half the job'".

The bodies of 23-year-old Hannah and 24-year-old David Miller were found on Koh Tao island beach in September 2014.
Last month, two men from Myanmar were found guilty and were sentenced to death for the murder.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/35282057/sister-of-murdered-backpacker-receives-death-threats

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2016-01-12

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai authorities told family of murdered backpacker to 'go make another one', claims sister
by Asian Correspondent Staff

THE sister of a British backpacker brutally murdered on the Thai holiday island of Koh Tao has launched a scathing attack on Thai authorities on Facebook.

Laura Witheridge’s sister Hannah and another British backpacker were found bludgeoned to death on a beach on the idyllic Thai island in September 2014. Two Burmese migrants have been sentenced to death for the murders amid allegations of torture and mismanagement of the case by Thai police.

Monday’s Facebook post by Laura Witheridge, which followed the death of another British backpacker on Koh Tao last week, is the most candid statement yet by a member of the murdered backpackers’ families.

Full story: http://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/01/thai-authorities-told-family-of-murdered-backpacker-to-go-make-another-one-claims-sister/

-- ASIAN CORRESPONDENT 2016-01-12

Hannah Witheridge's family told by Thai officials to 'go home and make another one' after she was raped and murdered
Siobhan Fenton

Hannah Witheridge's sister posted online that her family had been poorly and insensitively treated by Thai authorities following the backpacker's tragic death

LONDON: -- The family of a British backpacker who was raped and murdered in Thailand has claimed authorities told them to 'just make another one’ if they were so upset about her death.

Hannah Witheridge, 23, was brutally murdered and raped on the island of Koh Tao in September 2014. Her travelling companion, David Miller, 24 was also murdered.

Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo have been found guilty of murdering the pair. They are currently appealing the verdict.

Hannah’s sister, Laura, has written a Facebook post describing the family’s grief and criticising Thai authorities’ handling of the case. She says her family were told: “Why are you so bothered? Just go home and make another one.”

Full story: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/hannah-witheridges-family-told-by-thai-officials-to-go-home-and-make-another-one-after-she-was-raped-a6806226.html

-- THE INDEPENDENT 2016-01-12

The info in the article is only half as disturbing as her complete facebook post, and truly makes me wonder how the families could have said they believe justice was done. The sister at least quite clearly believes otherwise. Regardless, this is perhaps the most damning piece I have read on the affair. There is no reason to doubt her words either.

Quite a contrast to the OTT gushing by the Miller family.

As I posted on another thread, it is hard to understand how the two families could come to such different conclusions. I posted a while ago that I had met someone who works with Hannah's cousin and she told me the family never believed what they had been told by the RTP. This certainly confirms that. Now we hear they had been offered money and been threatened. Could this explain the Miller's response? The fact the Miller's statement was prepared before the verdict and parroted the prosecution's claims suggests something very dark has been going on.

Hopefully this is a long way from over and eventually we will all see the light.

This on going murder case makes me wonder if there are no limits in what thais will do to protect their own. When family members of crime victims are threatened in their home country, it is no longer just a Thailand problem. Thais seem to not know the boundaries. It appears to me by the actions of others in their treatment of the Witheridge family in their home country that it,is someone very rich and powerful in Thailand using intimidation and threats to end this.

This paints a picture that a relative comes to Thailand for a holiday is killed,you may be come a victim also by association.Instead of justice you get pursued and harassed.in your own home and country.Even if you donot holiday here you can become a victim of Thailand.

The info in the article is only half as disturbing as her complete facebook post, and truly makes me wonder how the families could have said they believe justice was done. The sister at least quite clearly believes otherwise. Regardless, this is perhaps the most damning piece I have read on the affair. There is no reason to doubt her words either.

This is exactly what I thought re the family. How can they think that justice has been served. What do they know that 99% of Thai visa members dont know. Majority of folk on this forum think that the 2 burmese guys are innocent. I dont understand

Sad to hear, some wackos on the net, probably just a troll but who knows

"Only done half the job" sounds like it came from a fellow Brit. Most probably from a immature jealous class mate, ex-boyfriend, work colleague, etc. Death threat for what ... being good looking? By the way I doubt the phrase "Only done half the job" would come from a Thai / Burmese. All the same Facebook should report the posters and have she/he investigated by the appropriate authorities.

Hannah’s sister, Laura, has written a Facebook post describing the family’s grief and criticising Thai authorities’ handling of the case. She says her family were told: “Why are you so bothered? Just go home and make another one.”

Oh come on---no matter how down on Thailand you are...This is fantasy from the Sister who I don't think even came here...can anyone really imagine in the middle of a murder hunt that is being reported world wide The Thai authorities saying ..."don't worry--Go Make another Baby" ...... What Authorities When.........Where....

And as for the other comments she is coming out with---"A Thai (Buddhist said )..."Its OK she will be back in 30 days as someone else"

I don't think the murder trial was conducted that well........I have definite doubts about the convicted....but this has to be recognised for what it is......pure fantasy.

Strange, the chosen headline for this thread is "sister receives death threats." That's based on the BBC report that basically says nothing about her claims of how the family was treated by Thai authorities.

But surely, the bigger news here is that reported in the other news accounts of the things the Thai authorities allegedly said to the family during the criminal court proceedings.

If true, those allegations are pretty damning stuff for Thailand tourism. Reading the full/undeleted version of what she wrote, it sounds pretty well thought out and clearly, specifically stated.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I hope they stay strong and fight against the Authorities that have not helped them with this horrific shambles of a murder investigation!!

Hopefully the world will wake up to the corrupt authorities that exist in Thailand!!

The world already knew. The problem is, there is nothing that can be done. Other countries are helpless and have no jurisdiction to do anything here. In cold war days, if Thailand was an enemy, I suppose some sort of "clandestine activity" would of been done. Not an option in these days. This might go all the way up to the top of the tree.