Does anybody know when the O-Net tests will be held this year?

" To be perfectly honest with you, I have my doubts that you ever held a PhD, or Doctorate course. But using the red color and trying to understand your reply(ies) shows a lot about your psychological insecurity and very low self esteem."

Your doubts don't change the facts.

The red colour was to differentiate between posters - stop trying to read too much into it.

As for teaching, one presumes you have not been employed at tertiary level here in Thailand, you seem to think you know all about it, but again, lots of drivel from you.

:-)

" To be perfectly honest with you, I have my doubts that you ever held a PhD, or Doctorate course. But using the red color and trying to understand your reply(ies) shows a lot about your psychological insecurity and very low self esteem."

The red colour was to differentiate between posters - stop trying to read too much into it.

As for teaching, one presumes you have not been employed at tertiary level here in Thailand, you seem to think you know all about it, but again, lots of drivel from you.

Hello.

The red "colour" looks perverted and is out of order.

No, we have our doubts about a farang being involved in a Ph.D. program beyond perhaps review of a dissertation and even that doubtful. This would be a loss of face to Thai people holding Ph.D.'s in English. The loss of face is more important than your opinion(if you are a farang/foreigner) of any work product of a Ph.D. candidate. You are in a subtle way making a mockery of the entire "tertiary" system with your indication some can't speak English well enough. As I repeat and continue to believe, said candidates need to live and work in a Native English Speaking country for a year or more before any such degree has merit. Also remember, if he/she is struggling with English it means he/she can speak another language with their native tongue and this puts them way ahead of many. Respect it for what it is, don't as you say think you are making a difference holding "classes" for Ph.D. and Master's candidates.

Hello.

The red "colour" looks perverted and is out of order.

No, we have our doubts about a farang being involved in a Ph.D. program beyond perhaps review of a dissertation and even that doubtful. This would be a loss of face to Thai people holding Ph.D.'s in English. The loss of face is more important than your opinion(if you are a farang/foreigner) of any work product of a Ph.D. candidate. You are in a subtle way making a mockery of the entire "tertiary" system with your indication some can't speak English well enough. As I repeat and continue to believe, said candidates need to live and work in a Native English Speaking country for a year or more before any such degree has merit. Also remember, if he/she is struggling with English it means he/she can speak another language with their native tongue and this puts them way ahead of many. Respect it for what it is, don't as you say think you are making a difference holding "classes" for Ph.D. and Master's candidates.

Apologies if you think the red looks perverted, as already stated, the purpose was differentiation.

Again, your doubts don't change the facts, and the fact is that at 1pm this afternoon, I will have another class with my Doctorate students, (part of an 8 week course with me, then they will do 8 weeks with a Thai professor).

As to that some students don't speak English very well - I already explained that most of them are not, and never have been English majors. I fully agree with your point about them speaking a second language and therefore more knowledgeable than many.

I don't see where I said I was "making a difference"?

Edited by bigt3116

As to that some students don't speak English very well - I already explained that most of them are not, and never have been English majors. I fully agree with your point about them speaking a second language and therefore more knowledgeable than many.

I don't see where I said I was "making a difference"?

Okay, we are now having a discussion in a polite way, an exchange, nothing personal by either party...

How can someone get a Masters or Ph.D. in English without having studied English? Doesn't that sort of miss the point of advanced degrees? I've never heard of an English major getting his/her Masters or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, have you? If it does happen, it's after two or three years of courses related to this, then on to the advanced classes/projects/work and degrees. In essence, going back for a B.S. in Engineering taking the core courses required. Your implication is this isn't done at your University and/or in Thailand? I'm making the assumption you are referring to advanced degrees(Masters and Ph.D's) in English. Maybe you can confirm this?

As for "making a difference"...The whole point in teaching English is to make a difference to people who are learning it, at least in my world. Some of us don't teach for the "money" alone. If we aren't making a difference, well, there is not point to it all. Of course, the money isn't exactly big in the context we are referring.

Have a nice weekend. Careful if you are traveling to/from the NorthEastern U.S.A. Record snow and a lot of canceled flights. No snow predicted for Thailand, not yet anyhow.

Edited by BruceMangosteen

My MA and PhD students are not studying English as their main subject, they have 3 hours a week out of 12. They are mostly Ed majors and are studying Curriculum design.

Once again, we are getting lost in your use of words which don't apply in Thailand. "Curriculum Design"? Who's kidding who? Curriculum decisions in Thailand are a joke at best, and the job of "designing" them is obviously assigned by again, face, not qualifications and reality. It's a nice word phrase you provide and justify your previous remarks, but simply doesn't hold water. The "Curriculum" isn't actually followed in Thai schools. You indicate you are English, meaning from England, but please tell us, are you teaching in English or are you also fluent in Thai? There would be no point in a Thai getting all "taught up" in Curriculum design for duty in a western culture. The haves would have no part of a Thai entering their system and making up Curriculum's. As I said, we are left lost as to the purpose of such a Masters or Ph.D. program?

My MA and PhD students are not studying English as their main subject, they have 3 hours a week out of 12. They are mostly Ed majors and are studying Curriculum design.

Once again, we are getting lost in your use of words which don't apply in Thailand. "Curriculum Design"? Who's kidding who? Curriculum decisions in Thailand are a joke at best, and the job of "designing" them is obviously assigned by again, face, not qualifications and reality. It's a nice word phrase you provide and justify your previous remarks, but simply doesn't hold water. The "Curriculum" isn't actually followed in Thai schools. You indicate you are English, meaning from England, but please tell us, are you teaching in English or are you also fluent in Thai? There would be no point in a Thai getting all "taught up" in Curriculum design for duty in a western culture. The haves would have no part of a Thai entering their system and making up Curriculum's. As I said, we are left lost as to the purpose of such a Masters or Ph.D. program?

Way too difficult for a Curriculum design teacher to answer your post. Please simplify. coffee1.gif

Way too difficult for a Curriculum design teacher to answer your post. Please simplify. coffee1.gif

I don't teach curriculum design, I teach English.

Please read the posts before commenting - or better still - don't comment with your inane drivel.

I don't teach curriculum design, I teach English.

Please read the posts before commenting - or better still - don't comment with your inane drivel.

"Your students are not studying English as their main subject"? So English isn't one of the main subjects?

Basically, they have 3 hours a week out of 12 what? They're mostly Ed majors and are studying Curriculum design?

Your sentence structure really shows a lack of competence. An incompetent instructor/teacher for competent students?

Please read between the lines.

I really feel sorry for them to have such a low self-esteemed instructor/teacher.

And you show that in each and every post when you try to criticize others. But you can't serve decent food without the chef.

Okay, I know that English isn't your first language and we all make mistakes from time to time. Even I do. ( joking, I always do, right?)

And next time before you pull out your nasty red pen, please think first, then type.

It's never too late to learn English in a way that a few sentences can be understood by members of this forum, or perhaps guests who only visit this forum?

BTW, the thread was about O-Net tests and guys like you do all to write some nonsense nobody really understands.

It's really time to shut this thread down, if you like to talk about curriculunm designers, or even some chestnut designers, please feel free and open a new thread.

Dear Mods, please close this thread about O-net test dates that went completely off topic.

Life's too short and bigt too boring. Khop Khun La Lai. wai2.gif

" I really feel sorry for them to have such a low self-esteemed instructor/teacher. " - Not sure how you figure that, but then your mind does seem to work in mysterious ways.

"Okay, I know that English isn't your first language and we all make mistakes from time to time. Even I do. ( joking, I always do, right?)" - Yet another incorrect assupmtion.

" BTW, the thread was about O-Net tests and guys like you do all to write some nonsense nobody really understands." - All I did was respond to comments you made, if the thread has gone off topic, maybe look closer to home.

"Basically, they have 3 hours a week out of 12 what?" - Are you serious? You can't understand that simple statement?

You may well be lost in Isaan, but it is also clear that you either can't understand basic English, or you choose not to, because it contradicts your fabrications.

Either way, I am sure that anyone with a decent grasp of English can easily understand what I wrote.

You are teaching "English" to people attempting to get a Ph.D. in "Curriculum Design" correct? These supposed students may or may not be able to speak English, may or may not have basic English skills, are a diverse group in short, and are doing exactly what with you, a foreigner and I assume a Native English speaker? I don't them the benefit of your efforts, benefit to them I mean. It's too much of a mixed up bunch of rubbish IMHO. Someones "Curriculum" says to get your Ph.D. you need these hours with you? I'm sure it's all just copied or taken off the internet and presented to you in fancy binders. A very sad day once again in the Thai Educational system. Oh well, back to the basics of interacting with young students getting them to give directions and take food orders without causing McDonalds huge losses. I didn't know "small Sprite" sounded like "fries" until yesterday.

" I really feel sorry for them to have such a low self-esteemed instructor/teacher. " - Not sure how you figure that, but then your mind does seem to work in mysterious ways.

"Okay, I know that English isn't your first language and we all make mistakes from time to time. Even I do. ( joking, I always do, right?)" - Yet another incorrect assupmtion.

" BTW, the thread was about O-Net tests and guys like you do all to write some nonsense nobody really understands." - All I did was respond to comments you made, if the thread has gone off topic, maybe look closer to home.

"Basically, they have 3 hours a week out of 12 what?" - Are you serious? You can't understand that simple statement?

You may well be lost in Isaan, but it is also clear that you either can't understand basic English, or you choose not to, because it contradicts your fabrications.

Either way, I am sure that anyone with a decent grasp of English can easily understand what I wrote.

Sit down, teacher.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest StephenB

Is this O-Net test optional? One of mine has a letter about sleeping at the school to cram for this test the day before and I would rather have

stay home. I am under the impression that it is code for play time, and the appearance of acting smart.

Whats the importance of this test? Will you get held back from advancing to the next grade if you don't test?

Does some foreign company in Furong-land (later in the kids life) going to ask for school transcript, and say 'oh my you got a 50% on the o-net test in Thailand, nice!'

This is some of my quick questions I ask to gauge whats going on in the school-

How many minutes are in a hour? (blank stares)

If I walk for 5 hours at 5 km/h how many will I have walked in 4 hours? (blank stares)

Whats that long walking stick for that someone instructed you to make, and take it to camp with you for? (blank stares again)

Alright just tell me all the countries that are near Thailand? ....

You see my point.

Is this O-Net test optional? One of mine has a letter about sleeping at the school to cram for this test the day before and I would rather have

stay home. I am under the impression that it is code for play time, and the appearance of acting smart.

Whats the importance of this test? Will you get held back from advancing to the next grade if you don't test?

Does some foreign company in Furong-land (later in the kids life) going to ask for school transcript, and say 'oh my you got a 50% on the o-net test in Thailand, nice!'

This is some of my quick questions I ask to gauge whats going on in the school-

How many minutes are in a hour? (blank stares)

If I walk for 5 hours at 5 km/h how many will I have walked in 4 hours? (blank stares)

Whats that long walking stick for that someone instructed you to make, and take it to camp with you for? (blank stares again)

Alright just tell me all the countries that are near Thailand? ....

You see my point.

Actually, I don't see our points. Don't get them anyhow. But I'll give you my opinion and answers..in order...

I've never heard of a spend the night requirement/option at school the night prior to the test. There are "tutor" classes given for days prior usually? at the various schools. It must be big business for those conducting the "tutor" as I doubt they do it for free. Students don't pay themselves. I don't think taking the exams is optional but I also don't think they would hold a student back a grade etc. if they don't/refuse. It is of no importance to the student unless he/she is planning on going to one of the perhaps two prestigious Thai Government High Schools. It's not used for consideration for admission to private real international schools. The general consensus is the scores are for the school itself to "save face" with Bangkok. How it impacts budgeting I don't know, but it may. Budgeting is the main concern of most schools. Budgeting equals money if you don't have that figured out. Word problems like you posed aren't ever on math or other exams I've seen from Thai teachers. Math is strictly math. Logic type of questions are never even talked about much less tested. I think we called them "word problems" back in the day as part of math. Overall, it's the school who puts such importance on the O-Net at the M.3 level. The college entrance exam for M.6 students is another beast. It does have an impact on admissions to the "best" Thai Universities but i seriously doubt considered when applying abroad. In addition, some Universities here have their own admission test. Okay, off to Hooters from Breakfast.