Fight for water between farmers of two villages in Phichit

webfact

Fight for water between farmers of two villages in Phichit

PHICHIT: -- Two groups of rice farmers confronted each other in a fight for water to feed their dry farmland in Phichit’s Bang Moon Nak district on Tuesday.

The conflict started when villagers of Village 6 of Tambon Nern Makok blocked Klong Rodfai preventing the water from flowing downstream to Village 5. Their unilateral action prompted about 100 villagers of Village 5 to stage a protest in front of the community hall of Village 6.

Residents of Village 5 complained that the blockade has prevented water from getting to their village which needs the water to feed their withering rice plants. Villagers of Village 6 defended that they need water too for over 1,000 rai of rice field.

The two opposing sides broke into a heated argument prompting the kamnan of Tambon Nern Makok to intervene but without success. Later on, Mr Payon Asavapichayont, the district officer, arrived to mediate the conflict.

Mr Payon succeeded in persuading villagers of Village 6 to lift and blockade and to share the water with their neighbours.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fight-for-water-between-farmers-of-two-villages-in-phichit

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-01-13

"Mr Payon succeeded in persuading villagers of Village 6 to lift and blockade and to share the water with their neighbours."

Was their action of blocking the water not illegal? If so why were they not arrested?

That does not seem to be the way here. My friends family lives in a village that for weeks now has virtually no piped water. It is because local farmers hack into the pipes to irrigate their fields. It is simple to discover the culprits but the only action is 'please don't do it again'.

Until they realise that there are consequences for their actions nothing at all will change.

I'm sure article 44 can resolve this.

And I'm sure that the previous government, that was in power for most of two decades did nothing to further water management practices. I'm also fairly sure that Yingluck unnecessarily lowered the water levels in the country's largest dams to prevent flooding in Bangkok.

And I'm sure that the previous government, that was in power for most of two decades did nothing to further water management practices. I'm also fairly sure that Yingluck unnecessarily lowered the water levels in the country's largest dams to prevent flooding in Bangkok.

Oh god, here we go again with another rant about the previous government. Dude get over it, its been 20 months already. Move along with your life, you're not getting any younger.

the fault is not from the current mob in govt, yl had the dams release water while in power that should never have been done as it was a knee jerk reaction in case there were heavy rains(that never came) and this has directly caused much of the water shortages since as the rain fall has not been able to replace what they released. The farmers have ignored warnings about lack of water for their crops which has led to the current problems as they were told not to plant second crops and are now losing them. Until such time as Thailand actually takes real action nothing will ever get better, in Australia they go through droughts every so often, water restrictions are enforced on everyone in towns/cities as well as farmers, anyone breaking them are hit with steep fines and face court. Here no one gives a sh*t about anyone else and do as they please or what suits/benefits them alone, everyone needs water and it does have to be shared and controlled but again the govt is not doing it by not enforcing their edicts. Until such time as all parties concerned work together and not simply for themselves it will not improve, this needs a lot more work from the govt and the water users, trouble is no one wants to do it.

Oh god, here we go again with another rant about the previous government. Dude get over it, its been 20 months already. Move along with your life, you're not getting any younger.

Your argument might have some merit if the dams had managed to refill since then. But they haven't, and the unnecessary dumping of a huge volume of water is part of the Yingluk legacy.