Bangkok court bans British activist Andy Hall from traveling outside Thailand

webfact

I"m surprised Thai officialdom didn't try a different tact: Allow him to leave, and then not allow him to re-enter Thailand. Thai officials and NFC and Ko Tao Headman don't want people like Andy in Thailand. He's ruffling too many feathers by exposing dire problems perpetrated by very rich VIP's.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the Thai courts have the right to confiscate his passport considering in reality it belongs to Britain.

I would think not. The British government should intervene.

Either way, just MORE bad news for Thailand. Thailand, and the so called 'elites' just do not get it.

this is harassment by Natural Fruit Company Ltd...

Just for the record, the people behind the company are...

Natural Fruit is owned by the family members (brothers and sisters) of the General-Secretary of the Democrat Party of Thailand.[8]

My guess is that Andy should not expect any support from the current, self-appointed "government"... coffee1.gif

There it is, politics, business, government all in bed with each other. Thailand is rotten to the core. The average Thai doesn't have a chance. Sure, one can point out other countries where government, politicians, and business is cozy in Western countries but not to the extent it is in Thailand.

Did the UK government give Thailand the right to hold his passport however he is being charged with criminal actions. You cant just hold a passport of another country without good reason which it appears they have.

It's a civil action, not criminal. Except perhaps in Thailand.

Do the Thai courts have the right to confiscate his passport considering in reality it belongs to Britain.

I would think not. The British government should intervene.

Either way, just MORE bad news for Thailand. Thailand, and the so called 'elites' just do not get it.

The UK Government Eaton Old Boys Club will do nothing...

Read post #58 it says it all, they will leave him out to dry...

Edited by Basil B

Interesting; a court confiscating the passport of a foreign national. It wouldn't be the first time a passport holder has sued, and won, over the seizure of the passport in his possession. More to the point, the passport is the property of the U.K. government which, technically, could demand its return ... though I doubt they will bother to do so.

Interesting to know that they can confiscate passports when a real crime, like defamation, is committed. Too bad they don't do it for people accused of lessor crimes, like murder.

Why did he relinquish his passport? The passport is sovereign property of the country that issues it, to wit., page 5 of U.S. passports, or is the UK campaigning for the NOBEL prize this year for wimpiness?

Interesting to know that they can confiscate passports when a real crime, like defamation, is committed. Too bad they don't do it for people accused of lessor crimes, like murder.

Why did he relinquish his passport? The passport is sovereign property of the country that issues it, to wit., page 5 of U.S. passports, or is the UK campaigning for the NOBEL prize this year for wimpiness?

Why dont you read the topic, it was a decision of the court, he wasnt asked.

Read the tread and you might learn about the next assumption you have, govs/police confiscate or hold peoples passports all the time.

It might come as a surprise but passports dont mean so much protection anymore as they used to. If they ever really did

Be Aware!

If someone can run a car against a pole then waits 2 hours and a dead tycoon is sitting next to him and all evidence seems to 'vanish' and the case is getting backyard coverage, then one must realize there are forces at work who can decide life en death in this country.

(No direct link intended to the driver of the accident-car)

Andy Hall is doing a thight rope walk, and i wonder if its a strong enough rope he is walking on.

Thai Court Confiscates Passport of British Human Rights Activist Andy Hall

BANGKOK – A Thai court has confiscated the passport of British migrant rights defender Andy Hall and banned him from traveling outside of the country.

The order was handed down Wednesday following a bail request submission ahead of his indictment next week on criminal defamation and computer crimes offenses charges brought against him by Thai pineapple exporter Natural Fruit Company Ltd.

While Hall was granted bail, he was ordered not to leave Thailand before the case has been ruled on by the court.

Helsinki-based NGO Finnwatch issued a statement saying that Hall will seek the help of the British Embassy in Thailand in an attempt to have his passport returned by the court.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/thai-court-confiscates-passport-of-british-human-right-activist-andy-hall.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-01-14

Thinking out loud via keyboard ....couldn't he leave via the UK embassy under diplomatic cover/PP (re)issue - if they assisted? Once in there he's in UK territory.....

He is a brave man,he isn't about to run. I can't see him being convicted at the moment, there would be a hue and cry which they don't want considering their reputation for slave labour, it's possible that the US and EU could get really nasty with Thailand.

Was this case not dismissed?

www.thaivisa.com/.../856787-criminal-case-against-finnwatch-researcher- andy-hall-dismissed-again/

news.thaivisa.com/thailand/criminal-case...andy-hall.../114721/

So far, Andy has kept winning in court. However, the strategy seems to be to keep filing cases until they can make one stick.

They dismissed Laura Millers statement, they want to crucify a human rights man, they warn the press and foriegn journos about what they say, they have been involved in human trafficking and mistreating Burmese workers and they conduct circus court case's with the B2.

Just about every time you read the BK post there is a corruption case involving government contracts.

They have no Shame.They will not loose face and they don,t know how to save face by cleaning up the act, an impossible task I think.

Isn't it pretty obvious by now that Thailand doesn't give squat about "the next human rights report" or any bad publicity. Every government here has pulled this crap because they can

The Thai people don't care what happens to foreigners or migrant laborers , kill off one of the lakorn stars and their will be riots in the streets

Did the UK government give Thailand the right to hold his passport however he is being charged with criminal actions. You cant just hold a passport of another country without good reason which it appears they have.

It's a civil action, not criminal. Except perhaps in Thailand.

It is a criminal charge in Thailand. That's right. Individuals and companies can sue someone for defamation of their character, and it is a criminal charge. The person making the original claim can be completely truthful in their accusations, but the facts don't matter. It only matters if someone is defamed in the process. It's a wonder newspapers even exist here.

The passport that the Thai government has stolen from Andy Hall is in fact the property of HM Government. It says so at the back of the passport. I assume, then, that the British Ambassador to Thailand will be demanding its return, and/or issuing an immediate replacement. While they're at it, why not retain the passport of any Thais in the UK?

As passport is property of Brit government, seems if he wanted to he could go to embassy and get a new one, report previous as stolen (by Thai government). I do hope gov put similar travel restrictions against management of fruit company.

Does UK govt protect their their people abroad or not?

In a word, no.

As passport is property of Brit government, seems if he wanted to he could go to embassy and get a new one, report previous as stolen (by Thai government). I do hope gov put similar travel restrictions against management of fruit company.

DO NOT EXPECT ANY HELP FROM THE BRITISH EMBASSY!

The Consular staff will continue in their normal mode....."ham shanking"

My Passport was also seized about 2 years back, causing me great hardship.

They did however help the crooked lawyer who hangs out on TV, after I had him removed from the Embassy list. This crook was responsible for me being prosecuted on a false charge.

My advice to Andy Hall, "GET THE HELL OUT" you will not get justice in a Thai court.

I can get you out....message me.

As far as I understand, that is a private civil lawsuit.
Natural Fruit Company Ltd. against Andy Hall.

It's not like that this is a criminal lawsuit, where a prosecutor bringing charges,
as the state Thailand against Andy Hall.

In the first judicial proceedings Andy Hall has indeed acquitted on all counts.

So what are the new reasons which first cause a renewed legal proceedings is permitted,
and secondly to be made here such draconian measures, such as the collection of the passport?
And that in a civil lawsuit???

That would mean that any foreign businessman here is highly vulnerable.

In dispute with a Thai business partner, he can do an indictment and has the legal possibility to have them collected the passport?

If that is internationally known, no foreign company will invest here anymore

Why did he relinquish his passport, sovereign property of GB, in the first place? Why would anyone volunteer to hand over their passport? Makes no sense. Is this not unlawful detention?

The reason this is outside of legal proceedings is the people running NFC are very pissed off. They're rich, well-connected, so circumventing the law is a cinch for them. Now, if Andy (or someone like him) were to look closely at the fishing industry or human trafficking, it would be a more dire scenario. Instead of confiscating a passport and defamation suits, there would be a fatal bullet in the night, and cops wouldn't even lift a finger to try to find whodunit.

this is harassment by Natural Fruit Company Ltd...

Just for the record, the people behind the company are...

Natural Fruit is owned by the family members (brothers and sisters) of the General-Secretary of the Democrat Party of Thailand.[8]

My guess is that Andy should not expect any support from the current, self-appointed "government"... coffee1.gif

pretty much explains everything.

Same as the general that fled to Australia. "Come back we want to discuss the problem" Yeah sure.

The passport that the Thai government has stolen from Andy Hall is in fact the property of HM Government. It says so at the back of the passport. I assume, then, that the British Ambassador to Thailand will be demanding its return, and/or issuing an immediate replacement. While they're at it, why not retain the passport of any Thais in the UK?

In your dreams. These embassies and consulates are not here to help the little guy. They are reward positions for "people" that have towed the party line. It makes me sick.

In a word, no.

No country protects you they as much as tell you your on your own in a foreign country. They seriously need to grow a pair but sadly no.