Problems ahead?

Goldieinkathu

@ DrDave and LIK

I shop at Jungceylon regularly, specifically, Big C. The car park is always busy because everyone must have access to a vehicle on Phuket. It's as simple as that.

Yes, I see the multinational fast food chains doing well, but a lot of their profits go offshore to the parent company.

I also notice the sale of the seaweed packets and noodles. The Chinese can't get enough of them. In the same way the Russians used to buy a lot of fresh fruit, before the ruble collapsed.

So, whilst the number of customers going into the center and Big C may look good, it's not being turned into a corresponding revenue and profits remaining in the local economy.

Yet another 'glowing' report by NKM .... dismal

edit - even manages to work in his transport agenda - boring

Edited by LivinginKata

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ DrDave and LIK

I shop at Jungceylon regularly, specifically, Big C. The car park is always busy because everyone must have access to a vehicle on Phuket. It's as simple as that.

Yes, I see the multinational fast food chains doing well, but a lot of their profits go offshore to the parent company.

I also notice the sale of the seaweed packets and noodles. The Chinese can't get enough of them. In the same way the Russians used to buy a lot of fresh fruit, before the ruble collapsed.

So, whilst the number of customers going into the center and Big C may look good, it's not being turned into a corresponding revenue and profits remaining in the local economy.

I must say, that was quite a "dismal" personal attack, LIK. smile.png

If you disagree with anything I have posted, go ahead and state your reasons.

I'm in Jungceylon regualarly. How often do you go there?

Edited by NamKangMan

@ DrDave and LIK

Now that TCC Group will be at the helm that will soon change. Plus Central are set to take a majority stake in hypermarket operator Big C Vietnam so maybe it will be a win win for Thailand.

Having said that IMO the Chinese numbers will not continue to grow due to their own financial pressures. I guess only time will tell , we will see.

You are absolutely right. Central is dead, as is Homeworks across the way At Jungceylon, security guards stamping the parking tickets are gone which upsets the out-gate staff wh argue with drivers about non stamped receipts...gates in are automated. In Pating record nbers of restaurants, bars, guest houses and hotels are for sale.. Karon and Kata; many little restaurants, bars, shops for rent, sale, lease, since Chinese do not patronize these. It hasn't been as bad as this since SARS,,.Gone are the free spending Scandis and other N Europeans, as they don't stay where Chinese do, water and fire don't mix. It is eerily quiet everywhere, despite these super arrival increases. These are comprised almost entirely of Chinese on their zero Baht cattle tours. Tightly controlled, the Chinese run their own restaurants, latex places, souvenir shops, speedboats, dive ops, buses etc. all movements and expenditure tightly controlled. They Raid the breakfast buffet in the morning, and for the rest they spend zero in the hotels... All tours and activities prepaid in China, rest under the table here, the only ones benefitting are the 7-11's catering for their apres-dinner Mama noodles. As a recent hospitality survey recently showed, one of the few times where demand is high, but prices are down, such is the current state of the Phuket market. In my humble opinion,it is better to run at half capacity with good quality tourists, then as we are now. The TAT and gvernment both want huge volumes of cheapo visitors, AND quality tourists at the same time. Those don't go hand in hand.,,.Choices need to be made.,..

"It hasn't been as bad as this since SARS" - SARS was something that was out of the control the Thai Government. They don't have that excuse this time around.

The current state of the tourism industry here was / is a direct result of their mismanagement.

I actually think that the state of tourism to a certain extent is out of the control of the Thai Government too. They have many things to juggle, exports, minimum wage, tax revenue etc etc. The higher Baht doesn't help. The Europeans have their own problems, I doubt they are not coming just because the Chinese are.

"Choices need to be made" - personally I don't think they have a choice, they are grasping at straws and are just happy to get what they get biggrin.png

@ DrDave and LIK

It's not what you say, it's the frequency you say it.......................plus the "doom 'n' gloom" attitude.

@ DrDave and LIK

It's not what you say, it's the frequency you say it.......................plus the "doom 'n' gloom" attitude.

I'm only interpreting what figures are reported, along with my own observations. You are welcome to disagree.

When the GFC hit, it wasn't a "doom and gloom attitude" - it was REAL doom and gloom. I actual believe we are heading towards the "PFC" - Phuket Financial Crisis. It's not an attitude, as it's appearing more and more likely. Once again, you are welcome to disagree.

I don't have a business, property, or family here, so no bother to me, either way.

This is the "problems ahead" thread, isn't it?

So, in your opinion, KB, are there any "problems ahead?"

Edited by NamKangMan

When formerly good restaurants all over the island and till phang nga only can survive when they switch to the chinese tour business then not only big problems are ahead then this big problems already exist and the collapse is around the corner. When the chinese pull out from phuket then we will have a similar economy here like in the time of airport closure. Dead man walking.....

Talking globally I consider that the GFC will in future be regarded as a bump in the road ... I xpect much worse not far round the corner.

As for Phuket ... the problem arrived a good few years ago .... and only getting worse. I see small businesses in serious trouble every where. Sure the big companies have good marketing and can attract guests then keep them captive in their own bars and restaurants. I just wonder if these big hotels are making much profit ?

• 3 weeks later...

Talking globally I consider that the GFC will in future be regarded as a bump in the road ... I xpect much worse not far round the corner.

As for Phuket ... the problem arrived a good few years ago .... and only getting worse. I see small businesses in serious trouble every where. Sure the big companies have good marketing and can attract guests then keep them captive in their own bars and restaurants. I just wonder if these big hotels are making much profit ?

i agree. Globally, I think the GFC is just the first chapter of the story. I don't expect I will know how the book ends in my lifetime.

Locally, as in, Phuket, absolutely nothing has been done by those in authority here to ensure Phuket retained its market share of the lucrative western tourist market in the region, thus, anyone who "invested" or chose to do business here has got some "problems ahead."

These people have lined their pockets for years, and in the case of Mr. K (Jr) it's become generational.

The Thai military are either unable, or unwilling, to do what has to be done. Such is "Thai culture."

Phuket's registered voters got the officials they deserved, but Phuket deserves better.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Old smaller HD shop closed.

New bigger HD shop open at the grand opening at another location in Central.

So business can't be that bad when they open a bigger one.

"So business can't be that bad when they open a bigger one." - or, the rent was cheaper.

Tough times here now. Thai's are undercutting Thai's.