respectable TEFL/ TEOFL schools in Sukhumvit area BKK?

talberry2

I have 10 years experience teaching in the U.S., as well as a few years teaching at a private school in Bangkok, but I still have yet to get a TEFL certificate and I was wonder if anyone has advice on some good TEFL/TEOFL certification schools (preferably in the Sukhumvit area)? Please, no online schools -.-;;

There is one near the Suttishan MRT (just 10-15 minutes from Sukhumwit) station that is very highly regarded...I attended myself. Chichester College....the instructors are top notch truly.

The other options are a CELTA course if you really want the full experience but if just looking for TEFL/TESOL....Chichester is the place.

The TEFL "certificate" isn't required for anything. You already have experience. Don't waste your time not to mention, money. Just get off your duff and back to work. I assume you are beyond the sales nonsense you will read and hear?

EDIT: I just re-read your post. Maybe you don't have a valid University degree? If not, the TEFL in no way substitutes for a degree. It used to, as the Thai's believed a four week course equaled a four year degree, but someone woke them up. The TEFL outfits aren't schools either, they are as I say, sales outfits. Nothing wrong with polishing up your teaching ability, but rest assured, it can be done in a much less expensive way such as volunteering. BTW, another scam in Thailand is paying to be a volunteer. Don't fall for that one either. Good luck.

I presume he does? Teaching in US ten years?

Honestly, I would not be getting into the racket without a degree at this juncture given what's come out of the govt last six months.

Working here without a degree, twilight is upon them.

I presume he does? Teaching in US ten years?

Honestly, I would not be getting into the racket without a degree at this juncture given what's come out of the govt last six months.

Working here without a degree, twilight is upon them.

"Something wrong" as Dr. Lee said during the O.J. trial. Why would a certified ten year experienced teacher give up that salary and benefit to teach in Thailand other than of course, at a real International School with western salaries(which if that the case, would not be asking about a TEFL on here).

Do you agree that the "Government" is encouraging it's schools to hire Filipinos as "westerners" are not "liked" and with the new cooperation between the SEA countries? The last thing again to point to the OP's inquiry, the last thing the Government cares about is farang operated sales outfits selling TEFL courses.

Green Bay scores! Unreal....

I was thinking that he retired or burned out and retired. Nothing wrong wit dat.

I've applied to a few schools and felt a may have been busted out because I don't have a TEFL despite having two tertiary teaching certifications that moron head teachers or a Thai with limited exposure to education outside Thailand might not understand.

So, I figure the guy is a real teacher but the idiotic school wants a tefl because someone said all teachers need tefl for hire.

Anyway, he's not been back to clarify.

I understand desire to be near MRT/BTS but dropping 50k on some toilet paper, I'd go to the best school possible.

Chichester looked OK but ECC was a better value. CELTA plus children's cert.

Many people get CELTA then teach kids adding to the further dubious value of such certificates in Thailand.

They teach you games and the best music to play in classes in order to kill as much time as possible - not teaching. +3

My take on the Philipino thing is that some schools may hire them, esp in Nakon Nowhere is that they may have a place in some schools in bkk but the kids at my school have rejected them in EP. Personally, I think only degreed NES belong anywhere near an EP and high level class such as /1 to /5.

I by and large think most Filipinos do a very average job, but I would rather have one with an Ed degree for 25k than what I'd get from non degreed western farang especially one without any solid career behind him or her. Goes for gap year too.

I was thinking that he retired or burned out and retired. Nothing wrong wit dat.

I've applied to a few schools and felt a may have been busted out because I don't have a TEFL despite having two tertiary teaching certifications that moron head teachers or a Thai with limited exposure to education outside Thailand might not understand.

So, I figure the guy is a real teacher but the idiotic school wants a tefl because someone said all teachers need tefl for hire.

Anyway, he's not been back to clarify.

I understand desire to be near MRT/BTS but dropping 50k on some toilet paper, I'd go to the best school possible.

Chichester looked OK but ECC was a better value. CELTA plus children's cert.

Many people get CELTA then teach kids adding to the further dubious value of such certificates in Thailand.

They teach you games and the nest usic to play in classes in order to kill as much time as possible. +3

A CELTA will qualify you to teach TEFL & TESOL internationally.

There is one near the Suttishan MRT (just 10-15 minutes from Sukhumwit) station that is very highly regarded...I attended myself. Chichester College....the instructors are top notch truly.

The other options are a CELTA course if you really want the full experience but if just looking for TEFL/TESOL....Chichester is the place.

Do A CELTA. It's a no-brainer.

The Chichester one is around the same price but is not as credible as a CELTA.

Also, the trainers on the Chichester one are a bunch of South Africans who have to do a TOEFL test to prove their English proficiency. They're also an agency who are basically running a TEFL sweatshop.

Do A CELTA. It's a no-brainer.

The Chichester one is around the same price but is not as credible as a CELTA.

Also, the trainers on the Chichester one are a bunch of South Africans who have to do a TOEFL test to prove their English proficiency. They're also an agency who are basically running a TEFL sweatshop.

Nothing like a bitter attendee who couldn't cut the mustard....

The facts: the school principal is a South African who is working on a doctorate in Education and has teaching experience in several SE countries. The other instructors are Brits or Aussies who are all well qualified experience wise.

The TEFL sweatshop comment is from the fact that the school is owned by Spencer International, a company that also happens to own an agency. But graduates are neither required or pressured in any way to work with the agency and in fact it was never even brought up during my time there.

I agree that if you want to be a professional teacher with a long term career....do the CELTA but the other crap posted is nonsense.

Chichester, Spencer too lol.

Do neither. Bust your axx sending out resumes and making visits. Take your best offer, work hard learning the craft, put up with the second year, try to learn new things, better classes.

Go get a better job.

TEFL is a total racket and CELTA is ridiculous insofar as its for adults and 80% of jobs are for teaching kids.

In fact, more jobs than ever now for teaching children in Thailand.

As for other countries Asian countries require a TEFL, CELTA this is a Thai forum for starts but even if you're looking eventually for greener pastures, do a DELTA after a few years grinding it out here.

These pieces of paper for 30-35k jobs, are you people serious? Of course, if your most marketable part of yourself is a tefl, well you're gonna have a bad time.

These pieces of paper for 30-35k jobs, are you people serious?

Yes, they are serious. They have been sold on a concept. Which reminds me, just yesterday I went into a beauty shop and was told about a creme and gadget which would remove all my wrinkles. The lady was serious, she had one she would discount for me since a demo. I just looked at her, and asked about a massage in the back room?

BTW, the Thai's expect teachers without an Education major to go back to school and get same. This for the 30-35K jobs you mention above. Spend your weekends and some 150,000.Baht for what you ask? Well, "it's you responsible" and the TCT rule.

These pieces of paper for 30-35k jobs, are you people serious?

Yes, they are serious. They have been sold on a concept. Which reminds me, just yesterday I went into a beauty shop and was told about a creme and gadget which would remove all my wrinkles. The lady was serious, she had one she would discount for me since a demo. I just looked at her, and asked about a massage in the back room?

BTW, the Thai's expect teachers without an Education major to go back to school and get same. This for the 30-35K jobs you mention above. Spend your weekends and some 150,000.Baht for what you ask? Well, "it's you responsible" and the TCT rule.

The schools ask for a lot of things - that's their prerogative. But when you're paying 30-35k a month with zero benefits, you'll take what you can get.

These TEFL mills are vulgar and abhorrent. They charge you a load to know how to stand in front of a classroom and then offer you a crappy job so they can squeeze you for more money. Best of all, they have many teachers thinking they're lucky.

Avoid.

I have 10 years experience teaching in the U.S., as well as a few years teaching at a private school in Bangkok, but I still have yet to get a TEFL certificate and I was wonder if anyone has advice on some good TEFL/TEOFL certification schools (preferably in the Sukhumvit area)? Please, no online schools -.-;;

First of all TOEFL is a test to prove English ability so not what you would want.

I don't see why an experienced certified teacher would want to teach EFL. You could easily teach your subject matter in an international school. I make a lot more teaching at international schools than I did back in the US. Lower taxes, less expenses. I save about 3x what I did in the US.

EFL teachers barely make enough to get by. it is a hard grind.

Also the CELTA props aren't founded either as there is no requirement for having any TEFL certificate. Your background and home country teachers license will put you far ahead in the hiring than any CELTA certified teacher.

If you want to learn how to adapt your lessons to non native English speakers than go ahead, but be warned that CELTA is a very strict regime and they have a one stop approach to teaching EFL.

The TEFL "certificate" isn't required for anything. You already have experience. Don't waste your time not to mention, money. Just get off your duff and back to work. I assume you are beyond the sales nonsense you will read and hear?

EDIT: I just re-read your post. Maybe you don't have a valid University degree? If not, the TEFL in no way substitutes for a degree. It used to, as the Thai's believed a four week course equaled a four year degree, but someone woke them up. The TEFL outfits aren't schools either, they are as I say, sales outfits. Nothing wrong with polishing up your teaching ability, but rest assured, it can be done in a much less expensive way such as volunteering. BTW, another scam in Thailand is paying to be a volunteer. Don't fall for that one either. Good luck.

It's not required, but many employers will ask for it. It can also make a difference in your salary. That being said, a TEFL or similar type certificate is not internationally recognized. Get a CELTA. It might not make a difference in Thailand, but many countries require or prefer it, so it's a better investment.

"It's not required, but many employers will ask for it. It can also make a difference in your salary."

"A CELTA will qualify you to teach TEFL & TESOL internationally."

Both of these statements are Utter garbage. There is no difference in wages with having a CELTA over any other certificate. The only place that I have ever heard of caring about the CELTA is the British council. No other school cares the type of certification. Most don't even require any as long as you have a degree and experience.

I really love this internationally recognized garbage. This has been floating around for nearly 20 years. There is no international organization of teachers that recognizes anything. Yes, the CELTA is a brand name that many people know, but frankly many don't know it also and those that do, don't care. The few countries in the middle east that require a cert. accept any TEFL. It is just something they need to tick off on a sheet of paper.

South Korean public schools pay 100 dollars more a month if you have any TEFL. If you want more money get a teacher's license.

Experience, Degree and a real teaching credential are factors in getting better jobs, not any 120 hour course.

Getting a teacher's license is relatively easy now with online programs and that will get you better jobs, with higher pay.

"It's not required, but many employers will ask for it. It can also make a difference in your salary."

"A CELTA will qualify you to teach TEFL & TESOL internationally."

Both of these statements are Utter garbage. There is no difference in wages with having a CELTA over any other certificate. The only place that I have ever heard of caring about the CELTA is the British council. No other school cares the type of certification. Most don't even require any as long as you have a degree and experience.

I really love this internationally recognized garbage. This has been floating around for nearly 20 years. There is no international organization of teachers that recognizes anything. Yes, the CELTA is a brand name that many people know, but frankly many don't know it also and those that do, don't care. The few countries in the middle east that require a cert. accept any TEFL. It is just something they need to tick off on a sheet of paper.

South Korean public schools pay 100 dollars more a month if you have any TEFL. If you want more money get a teacher's license.

Experience, Degree and a real teaching credential are factors in getting better jobs, not any 120 hour course.

Getting a teacher's license is relatively easy now with online programs and that will get you better jobs, with higher pay.

A quick browse through the international jobs advertised on Tefl.com will show how wrong you are.

"A quick browse through the international jobs advertised on Tefl.com will show how wrong you are."

Really, a quick browse through a website that promotes TEFL courses has ads that favor TEFL certificates, say it isn't so.

Reading the ads always says the same thing. TEFL or CELTA.. I don't think that I have ever read an ad that said CELTA only. Or that you get more moeny if you have a CELTA.

A certified teacher with experience will always get hired.

I have taught in HK, Japan, China, South Korea, Thailand, UAE. I have never been denied a job because of not having a TEFL.

Teaching licenses are becoming a requirement in many countries, but TEFL aren't.

"A quick browse through the international jobs advertised on Tefl.com will show how wrong you are."

Really, a quick browse through a website that promotes TEFL courses has ads that favor TEFL certificates, say it isn't so.

Reading the ads always says the same thing. TEFL or CELTA.. I don't think that I have ever read an ad that said CELTA only. Or that you get more moeny if you have a CELTA.

A certified teacher with experience will always get hired.

I have taught in HK, Japan, China, South Korea, Thailand, UAE. I have never been denied a job because of not having a TEFL.

Teaching licenses are becoming a requirement in many countries, but TEFL aren't.

Maybe we're talking about different things. In my experience CELTA and Trinity TESOL are the gold standard internationally for TEFL jobs (with a degree). I'm not talking about other teaching jobs.

Trinity and CELTA are just brand names. A TEFL certificate is a TEFL certificate to most employers. Frankly no director cares what the brand is. The schools that desire a TEFL certificate usually accept any, and many of those will take someone with a teacher's license before a CELTA.

The funny thing I saw once was a job ad that wanted a writing teacher and desired a CELTA. Since the CELTA is purely a communicative approach to EFL and doesn't include how to teach writing, it really wouldn't help. Some employers, recruiters just put it on the ad but don't really know what they are.

The OP has 10 years experience teaching. Not one school is going to deny him a job over an inexperienced person with a CELTA.

Most schools want to hire qualified teachers licensed in their home countries. Most teachers that are taught with a student centered approach can easily adjust to the EFL classroom. For a veteran teacher who knows how to adjust to the needs of his/her students, a TEFL certificate isn't really important.

The knowledge about 2nd language acquisition, first language interference and other linguistic strategies can be learned by picking up a few books like Jeremy Harmer's, "How to Teach English." Or Nina Spada's How Languages are Learned".

Yes, for an inexperienced teacher without a clue how to teach or how to teach non native speakers, then yes having some kind of TEFL knowledge will help them adjust, but this isn't the OP

Archived