Thailand’s foreign investment drops 78% under Prayut's military government

webfact

The sooner Prayut and the military realise they are, and always have been Thailands biggest problem and stop interfering in politics, for which they have no ability, skill or knowledge, the better.

What a post. I suggest you and everybody who likes this post start listening to.:

Bad boys, whatcha want

Watcha want, whatcha gonna do?

When sheriff John Brown come for you

Tell me whatcha wanna do, whatcha gonna do?

Bad boys, bad boys whatcha gonna do?

Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?

You been sniffing the glue again?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to hear what twist super general gonna give on this news.

I'd love to hear what the usual TV junta huggers have to say about this news.

You know who you are.

I'd love a good laugh today.

Guaranteed silence I bet.

But,but,but.....

The sooner Prayut and the military realise they are, and always have been Thailands biggest problem and stop interfering in politics, for which they have no ability, skill or knowledge, the better.

Although I agree with this statement I also agree that the politicians are not a good mix for this country as well

Fortunate then that it's the Thai people and not you who should decide.

Of course foreign investment is dropping. Why would an investor be confident in these goombah leaders? They have little talent, and are doing little to build the country and make it stronger. The fascist policies do not build confidence. How much money is being invested in North Korea, by anyone other than the Chinese? The kind of "Fat Kim speak" coming from Little P. is not what the country needs, and he is too dim to even see that, or acknowledge it. It is all about power. Nothing else is a real consideration. So, where are the progressive policies needed to attract new investment? Where are the assurances?

That'll be 16 attitude adjustments.

no ones going to like you post as they could be arrested

Im quite happy for Prayut to come and get me, or try, under a justice system that functions properly and without political interference.

I doubt Prayut would like his chances under such system, nor would he be willing to take such a chance. He would not ony lose face but probably neck, shoulders and bank balance.

Everyone seems to think the junta took over to save the country. The economy is not what they were and still are concerned about, it's all about a certain event that may occur soon and the maintaining a certain status quo.

No, not maintaining the status quo, but rolling back the clock to the 1950's, or earlier. Given that this event has no set time frame, Prayut et al may be here for some time to come. Don't count on free elections any time soon.

The Koh Tao case, les majeste sentences, Andy Hall court case, slavery in the fishing industry, Royhinga, reporters silenced, people dying in the prisons from "food poisoning", people being summoned, blank pages in the New York Times, students apprehended in the corruption protests, mining pollution support, and on and on.......... It's all coming home to roost now, but the junta will stay on their mission.

It is certainly not a good advertisement, for example if here the passports of foreign nationals will be confiscated, in private, civil lawsuit disputes.
Such as in the case of the journalist Andy Hall.

Without stability and legal certainty it will be hard to gain the confidence of investors.

Then the political street protests will continue, and businesses will be interrupted again due to ongoing random violence on the street.................. either way the innocent, few common sense people in Thailand are doomed......

Either way, foreign businesses would have retreated any way.

No matter who is in power, as long as self serving face-sanity on either side rules, this country is screwed,

Simples peoples. The cause is in the headline. 'Foreign' investment - so it is the foreigners' fault 100%.

Enough spleen venting. To be fair, at least some of the fall (but not all of it) will reflect the fact that FDI has crashed accross most emerging markets with the possible exception on India. In the case of Thailand, past strengths (disc drives and the auto industry) are now weak spots and little of no FDI in those sectors.

Although I agree with this statement I also agree that the politicians are not a good mix for this country as well

Fortunate then that it's the Thai people and not you who should decide.

Fortunately it is not you or me either who should decide.

I know what a few Thai people around here want, but like you, I don't know what the majority of the Thai people want.

An uneducated leader who wears English suits recommended by his Chula educated wife, and visits his fortune teller on a regular basis.......what hope does the country have?

Bugger all.

Thaksin used to wear smart suits and visit his astrologer on a regular basis too.

Then the political street protests will continue, and businesses will be interrupted again due to ongoing random violence on the street.................. either way the innocent, few common sense people in Thailand are doomed......

Either way, foreign businesses would have retreated any way.

No matter who is in power, as long as self serving face-sanity on either side rules, this country is screwed,

Big big difference in business disruption in a few Bangkok localities but not wider Thailand. Government still in power and policies remain that investors are familiar. At best, governments will ride out the protest with the help of the judiciary, police and the military. At worse, government dissolve Parliment and call for election.

However a military grap of power will cause investors to be weary of laws and policies changes and therefore uncertainty that investors not willing to take that risks. To make it worse, many investors are cautious of possible trade sanctions and less trade opportunities from developed countries. Empirical studies have shown coup is a big negative for economic growth. The 78% FDI drop confirm that hypothesis.

What a post. I suggest you and everybody who likes this post start listening to.:

Bad boys, whatcha want

Watcha want, whatcha gonna do?

When sheriff John Brown come for you

Tell me whatcha wanna do, whatcha gonna do?

Whatcha gonna do when they come for you?

Huh?

You been sniffing the glue again?

The pound is getting worse against baht because of better dollar price/interest, uncertainty on UK exports and mad UK ideas about leaving EU by crazy right wing Tory nutters. So no it's the pound sinking and this will go on for months with EU exit threats. Baht at 52 last year got more for pound.