Phuket Bar!

Please can you help guide me and my mate through what we're letting ourselves into setting up a bar in Phuket, Patong Beach around Bangla road. We've been there once and are going back out again soon to have another look at the bar trade rather than the bar girls this time. We're coming from the UK next year and are looking to take a 1-2 year lease on a bar with an option to extend it when it expires.

Which are the correct visas we need and how do we obtain them?

What will be the visa renewal requirements and how often will we have to leave Phuket?

Do we need to set up a Thai company (How many partners)?

Can we work the bar, if not what is allowed?

What savings and earning do we need?

Many thanks folks.

Great site.

Leighgee :o

suggest you read though the main site at www.thaivisa.com. Most of what you asked is there. It comes down to one thing how much funding do you have? If you have not been here, spent any real time, and have a Thai to help you. come for a vacation and dream of riches other places. Once you have done a little homework then repost with questions pertains to your situation.

Sorry to be harsh but there have been so many people not willing to do a little work on their own first. Then they expect to run a bar or shop, you can lose your shirt faster than you can put it on. Here in Mong Thai

see comments

Which are the correct visas we need and how do we obtain them?

On this site

What will be the visa renewal requirements and how often will we have to leave Phuket?

On this site

Do we need to set up a Thai company (How many partners)?

On this site

Can we work the bar, if not what is allowed?

Lost of postings on this.

What savings and earning do we need?

years worth of business expenses, just like anyplace a business is a business. Plus living expenses and bribe money.

Lots of postings

Sunbelt Asia are the people to contact, they have links on this site.

I thought you'd know the bar scene well Bronco. From your own first hand experience too ... :o

what was that advice Doc, buy the bar, run it for one year and if you still alive let customers in.

I know what side of the bar to stay on Doc, dont know if strife is to keen on me looking after BG's :D

Sunbelt Asia are the people to contact, they have links on this site.

I thought you'd know the bar scene well Bronco. From your own first hand experience too ... :o

what was that advice Doc, buy the bar, run it for one year and if you still alive let customers in.

I know what side of the bar to stay on Doc, dont know if strife is to keen on me looking after BG's :D

It sounds as though 'er indoors is smart Bronco. :D A year is all you'd need without the patrons. Open it to the public after a year.

"Which are the correct visas we need and how do we obtain them?"

"B" or "O" Visa. We can help at [email protected]

"What will be the visa renewal requirements and how often will we have to leave Phuket?"

Every three months if it’s a multi-entry or one year if it’s a one year visa.

"Do we need to set up a Thai company (How many partners)?"

Yes. Depend on the # of partners depending on the company formation.

"Can we work the bar, if not what is allowed?"

Yes you can work with a work permit

"What savings and earning do we need?"

Depends on your lifestyle and if you are starting up a bar or acquiring one. If you acquire one and you need minimum of 100,000 look at investing 3 million Baht. Starting one up, you should have minimum of 5 million and 2 million should be operating capital. Most start-ups never had a chance as they blow their operating capital during the construction build out phase. I'm in the acquisition business but also help people start up businesses. The failure rate is very high with start ups because lack of cash flow ( the contractors and the landlords have the cash) and it takes a year or so for customers to know who you are. Acquisition of a business, you are ringing the cash register the first night instead of 6 months after build out. Patong Beach around Bangla road has high rent. Norm is 300-400K per month for 200 SQ.M. so you could be looking at 2.5 million in rent before you even open the doors. More important you are able to see if the idea works versus a business plan on paper. Most naysayers will badmouth a bar but my experience has taught me location and mgmt is key. Pubs can and do make money but not all of them.

What the highest chance of winning? Look at 10-15 existing pubs that the owner needs to sell because of human reasons( divorce, partnership dispute, retirement, relocation, health) and the odds of success is a total different direction. It’s not a point and click affair. With the proper due diligence, you can be a proud owner much faster and knowing your survival rate is much higher because you saw a number of business plans in real time rather than a idea on paper.

www.sunbeltasia.com