Just got divorced. Non-Im (marriage) still valid?

My wife and I officially divorced on Monday (it’s Thursday now). I have a non-Im based on marriage that I got in Savannakhet last May. It’s the one that requires leaving every 90 days. So, can I just keep this until it has run its course or am I illegal now? I’ve read conflicting things, which is why I’m posting. I thought I needed to change to a retirement visa right away so I’ve been talking to a visa agent and went and got my income statement from the American consulate today as she told me to, and the plan was to go to Immigration tomorrow to get the retirement visa . But when I called her after that she said I don’t need to change my visa at all because I have a non-Im visa, not a “marriage visa”. Help, please.

He has a Visa and can continue to use it until it expires.

Do another border run just before it expires in May and get another 90 days.

You do not need any kind of agent to get Retirement status.

It is really easy.

Edited by Eclipse

As said your visa and entry remains valid so you can extend for retirement during the last month or so of any 90 day entry so no rush - your current Embassy statement should remain valid for six months.

As said there is no need for any agent - extension is simple filling out TM.7 form and attaching 4x6cm current photo and making/signing copies of current passport/entry stamp/visa/departure card and fee of 1,900 baht.

whistling.gif If you are required to leave the country every 90 days and then get another 90 day permission to stay stamp on re-entry, then that is most likely a VISA .

If so it should have an expiration date, probably 1 year from when you got it.

In that case you are legal to stay until the expiration date of that visa, which should be shown on the visa.

But you will need to keep exiting every 90 days and return for another 90 day "permitted to stay stamp" until your visa expires.

Also, if you exit Thailand, and return one day before the visa expires, you will get another 90 day "permitted to stay stamp".

With that stamp, even though your visa expires the next day, the "permitted to stay stamp" lets you stay legally until that last "permitted to stay" stamp allows you to stay legally until it expires.

After that last 90 day stamp expires, you will need a new visa of some type to re-enter and stay in Thailand.

Without seeing the visa, people are assuming that it is a one-year Non-O.

I will ask this question of the OP: Did you do an extension of stay at Thai Immigration sometime around the August timeframe?

Op already stated has to leave every 90 days [emoji85]

I will ask this question of the OP: Did you do an extension of stay at Thai Immigration sometime around the August timeframe?

Oh yes....my distracted brain translated that to a 90-day report.

whistling.gif If you are required to leave the country every 90 days and then get another 90 day permission to stay stamp on re-entry, then that is most likely a VISA .

If so it should have an expiration date, probably 1 year from when you got it.

In that case you are legal to stay until the expiration date of that visa, which should be shown on the visa.

But you will need to keep exiting every 90 days and return for another 90 day "permitted to stay stamp" until your visa expires.

Also, if you exit Thailand, and return one day before the visa expires, you will get another 90 day "permitted to stay stamp".

With that stamp, even though your visa expires the next day, the "permitted to stay stamp" lets you stay legally until that last "permitted to stay" stamp allows you to stay legally until it expires.

After that last 90 day stamp expires, you will need a new visa of some type to re-enter and stay in Thailand.

Not "most likely", definitely !

No - only if it were an extension of stay for marriage would immigration be concerned. Non O visas are issued for many reasons. Once issued they allow entry for the standard 90 days unless there are really serious issues (most wanted - terrorist - black listed perhaps).

"What If" the ex-wife decided to contact immigration to tell them that the marriage is finished?

not saying in this particular case, but does it affect the advice given above?

Immigration could do nothing since he has a valid visa. If the had an extension of stay they could cancel it.

Hello again. I hate to post and run but divorce means running around here and there updating this and that and that's what the exwife and I have been doing. It's an extremely amicable divorce; we are best friends now and are getting along better than ever. Anyway, this isn't a self help thread, so back to the point. Thank you everybody for your help. After going all the way to Savannakhet for the visa, part of me wants to use it in its entirety, as IMA_FARANG explained so well. But on the other hand, if I don't need to travel, as Ubon Joe wrote, why not just get it over with now and change to retirement. Thanks to this thread I now know that I have these two options. But although I could string my current visa out until August since I got it last May, I will probably go ahead and change to retirement a month before my current 90 day period expires. After all, I've already made two trips--to KL and Hong Kong-- so that's enough traveling for a while. It's also good to know that the 1,800 baht I spent on getting the income statement from the U.S. consulate/embassy (whatever it is) won't go to waste.

As for using a visa agent, I have to go to Chiang Mai immigration and I don't fancy showing up at 4am hoping to get a number so I'm going to use a queue jumper, er, I mean a visa agent. In a better world the higher ups in Bangkok would let Chiang Mai be better staffed. Nuff said about that.

Right, never heard of a non-o based on marriage that requires you to leave every 90 days. Just no such thing.

Right, never heard of a non-o based on marriage that requires you to leave every 90 days. Just no such thing.

All visa entry based on marriage requires you to leave every 90 days or less - only if you extend your stay at immigration are you allowed to stay longer.