Phuket Governor declares war on trash

webfact

Phuket Governor declares war on trash
Phuket Gazette

pkt.jpeg
Gov Chamroen hopes to be able to eventually use CCTV to catch people trashing the island. Photo: Kongleaphy Keam

PHUKET: -- Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada openly declared war on island rubbish in a meeting on Monday.

“I would like to improve CCTV on the island to the point that we can use the footage to document people littering and charge them accordingly,” Governor Chamroen said. “In this fight against trash, members of the public must use social media to raise awareness with video clips and photographs of people trashing the island.”

Less than a month ago, Gov Chamroen tasked each vice governor with documenting the rubbish situation in the three districts on the island and providing him with weekly updates.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-Governor-declares-war-trash/62873?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2016-01-14

Maybe start educating the kids, that may in turn teach their parents not to litter. Nah, let's install CCTV cameras everywhere, that never work. What a waste of money... Kind of like the underpasses and the big electric signs saying there is a curve ahead on small sois around Rawai! Brilliant!

Edited by Jimi007

Maybe start educating the kids, that may in turn teach their parents not to litter. Nah, let's install CCTV cameras everywhere, that never work. What a waste of money... Kind of like the underpasses and the big electric signs saying there is a curve ahead on small sois around Rawai! Brilliant!

How on Buddha's earth is a schoolkid going to teach her elders when Thai schoolkids are programmed to never ask questions and to never disrespect their elders.?

However, in a "normal society" that is a logical starting point.

Yes,but we need an education program to reduce litter more urgently. We also need to reduce over packaging, especially 7/11 where you buy a drink in a plastic bottle with a ring seal and a top seal handed over with a straw wrapped in plastic all in a plastic bag and a cash register receipt.

Then instead of useless threats to arrest people we need the authoritie to invest in proper gross pollutant traps on drains and waterways to intercept the litter before it enters the canals and beaches.

He should focus the campaign on getting people to take some pride and responsibility in caring

for the environment they live in. Put out garbage bins at beaches and everywhere the bins are

needed. Ticketing/fining litterbugs is only one part of the solution to cleaning up the environment. coffee1.gif

He had a busy day yesterday: helmetless drivers and litterers in the same meeting.

I wonder what the punishment is from throwing rubbish from your bike whilst not wearing a helmet?

Well actually that depends, do you have an 'Na" prior to your surname, is your name prefixed with M R.

OR WHO DO YOU KNOW?

Sorry this post is BS, these people do not do anything wrong.

Edited by BigBadGeordie

I remember when the big push against litter in the US began and it worked. There were TV ads showing litterers as creeps. They mandated a deposit on all glass and aluminum drink containers. People would pick up bottles and cans to collect the money. The fine for any littering became $500 way back when that was a ton of money. But mostly, the culture was changed where people understood that littering was an abomination.

I can recall when I was young that there was some litter along all roads and I'd see crews of prisoners ("chain gangs") out cleaning it up. Now today I can drive almost forever and see no litter at all. I can almost say there isn't any.

Thailand needs such teaching in the schools from a young age, deposit recycling and stiff fines. Somehow they have to change the culture.

My biggest complaint about being in Thailand is litter. Period.

Cheers.

I remember when the big push against litter in the US began and it worked. There were TV ads showing litterers as creeps. They mandated a deposit on all glass and aluminum drink containers. People would pick up bottles and cans to collect the money. The fine for any littering became $500 way back when that was a ton of money. But mostly, the culture was changed where people understood that littering was an abomination.

I can recall when I was young that there was some litter along all roads and I'd see crews of prisoners ("chain gangs") out cleaning it up. Now today I can drive almost forever and see no litter at all. I can almost say there isn't any.

Thailand needs such teaching in the schools from a young age, deposit recycling and stiff fines. Somehow they have to change the culture.

Cheers.

Yep same for me, Thailand is a trash bin.

Cheers.

For years I've said that the over crowded jail here in Phuket should be put to good use. They'd get exercise and fresh air and the beaches and roads would be cleaned - what's wrong with that?!

No to install CCTV in a 250 meters radius around the OrBorTor office in Rawai, because with all the rubbish surrounding it they would not able to see anything. That's why the Rawai office can not make a weekly report because they unable to climb over the mountains of rubbish in this "World Class Tourist Destination"

I thought the headline meant they were finally going to get rid off the tuk tuks and jet skis.

A crap I do not give about the idiots using jet skis nor negotiating a tuktuk fare before setting out. However, I'd like to take the governor on a tour of the ever growing dumping ground that was the once lovely area of Sai Yuan. Think he'd go for it?

I did not see any other action plan, than increasing monitoring.

If the action plan would have been:

1) Place 20.000 public trash bins around the island, which are emptied regularly

2) Hire 20.000 people to clean up Phuket

3) Show what clean Phuket really looks like, and therefore give an example for people why it's good to keep the island clean

4) Implement hefty fines for those who still drop their trash to the nature

Then I would think, there could be possibility of real chance.

Phuket is really filthy.

It's not too late IMO.
But, trash cans are a must if it's going to happen.
How many times have you finished a drink, or a candy bar, and don't know what to do with the wrapper or bottle?

I end up putting the wrapper in my pocket, but, I imagine I'm in the minority on that.
But, I can't seem to find the trash cans to dispose of them properly.

I also think that sending school kids on clean-up trips an hour a month or something like that, would help them learn that it is wrong.
They won't learn it from their parents.
And I don't think they realize it is wrong at all.

Using cameras to catch them though? That's a joke