What's the reason foreigners end up in Isaan?

shina

I am going to emphasize "END UP" because honestly.. if you had a choice would you really live there?

I frankly don't understand why foreigners go live in Isaan. It has no beach, it is poor , mostly uneducated, lowest level thai women and not the prettiest place to live plus there is no decent shopping.

i have a friend back home who has spent a bit of time here. his ambition in the next few years is to meet and marry a girl from issan and live in her village. this has often puzzled me. if i was so inclined i would certainly look to marry a lady from the south, living near the sea, or on an island.

it would surely be lovely to live near the beach and the sea. a better quality of life, more opportunities to do interesting things; swimming, buy a boat, learn to sail, hike along the coast... much preferable to being stuck in some up country village.

don't you think?

OP - From another of your posts concerning sin-sodt: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/886177-questions-about-thai-dowry-and-what-else-to-ask/

"If she was an isan girl from a poor family not more than 100,000, not even thai men want them. My driver doesnt date women from Isaan. He always tells me they are lower than garbage."

It would seem you have a real issue with Isaan.

OP - From another of your posts concerning sin-sodt: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/886177-questions-about-thai-dowry-and-what-else-to-ask/

"If she was an isan girl from a poor family not more than 100,000, not even thai men want them. My driver doesnt date women from Isaan. He always tells me they are lower than garbage."

Hey my thai driver said that. I didn't. Plus I think 100k is a pretty fair sin sod for an isaan women.

Some years back, if someone would have told me that I'd be happily living out in the boonies, I would have told them that they were insane. Well, here I am. My wife already had a house up here and always asked me to take the trip up to look at it. I always begged off because I had seen Isaan houses before. After six months or so we went and had a look. To my surprise it was a two bedroom western style house. After several trips and westernizing the house a little each trip, I decided I liked the peace and quiet. I admit that I kept my condo and still have it. It's now been more than ten years and I have no intention of moving back to the farang ghetto. There are probably less than ten other farangs around here but we meet up once or twice a week and drink beer. I like to tinker and I have a large workshop/garage with all the tools I want. I can also have all the animals I want. Never say never. There is no beach but there are waterfalls and beautiful scenic mountains very close by. I would say that Pattaya or Jomtien beaches were no loss to me. Give me the scenic places and the clean air.

Could not agree more.

Most end up here because they have invested heavily in property for their Thai partner. Initially it is OK, a different, quieter lifestyle, something you are not used to, but eventually reality sets in and then the boredom follows.

Not many will admit to not being happy, they will put on a brave face and tell everyone how it is what they always wanted, a bit like the Thai 'saving face', but, in comparison to other towns and cities, there is not a lot to do.

I came here for business reasons, and enjoyed most of the 10 years here, but now retired, I am looking for a change of scenery.

I honestly think that given the chance again, deep down, not many would choose to come and live here for the rest of their lives.

I am going to emphasize "END UP" because honestly.. if you had a choice would you really live there?

I frankly don't understand why foreigners go live in Isaan. It has no beach, it is poor , mostly uneducated, lowest level thai women and not the prettiest place to live plus there is no decent shopping.

“All of life is a dispute over taste and tasting.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

No one wants to end up in a huge polluted traffic ridden city like Bangkok either, but lots do, there is no accounting for taste, I know many Isaan people are educated, parents sacrifice to send their kids to uni, frankly I find your comments without taste, and bordering on racist, why do you hate each other so much? Are you more Thai, are you a better Thai than those in another province, I dont think so? Go for a bicycle ride through the paddy fields in the afternoon, watch the amazing birds and glorious sunsets, breathe some clean air and refresh your soul

Lots of foreigners have the option and resources to live in the country, by the sea, in the mountains, a shame you are stuck in such a biased insensitive rut, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, have a good look at yourself in a mirror.

Sent from my GT-P6800 using Tapatalk

Hey my thai driver said that. I didn't. Plus I think 100k is a pretty fair sin sod for an isaan women.

Oh ok, I must have misinterpreted what you said in this, and the other posts.

I thought you were being derogatory not only to Thai women from Isaan, but all of the allegedly uneducated people of Isaan, as well as foreigners who choose to live in Isaan.

But hey, just for clarity, you (and not your driver) have said that "not even Thai men want them (Isaan women)", and that Isaan women are the "lowest level Thai women".

Am I misquoting you? coffee1.gif

Some nice places to live. ...some not....same goes for oceans and cities....I would not live in bangkok, to hot, to noisy..to everything.....I would not livemin pattaya...filthy hole, beach disgusting.....i would not live in phuket, over rated dump, ripoffs left right and centre.....lotvto be said for a quiet peaceful existence

You dismiss all of ISSAN as a wasteland with nothing to do. Kohn Kaen for example is a wonderful small city with shopping, great street markets and more importantly people who still know how to smile and treat foreigners with hospitality. Perhaps you should visit....I live in BKK now and it just can't hold a candle to the small cities of Issan.

"It has no beach". Maybe you prefer to hang out with the old farangs and their dollies at the beach hotspots but many of us can't stomach that part of Thailand.

Edited by tonray

This is about as provoking a post as I have seen for some time. No beach? So what, I grew up near a beach, the novelty can wear off and I didn't come here for that.

No shopping? You really haven't been to Isaan recently, have you?

Now if you were to start with the idea that many women in Isaan have little choice but to 'go work in Pattaya' and as a result find the big prize, a Farnag husband, there might be some truth in that.

My wife is far from being ugly, thank you very much and I have married into an honest, hard working family.

Now go back to your favourite bar, eat Farang food and eye up the ladies (which you can do here also of course).

If you get into the right village with the right neighbours,life is simple easy,no hassle,people are friendly.It beats foreigner ghettos in tourist trap centers. Where i live not quite Esaan but rural I have the best neighbours a man could want. Never intrude but always ready to help.8 oclock at night quiet and peaceful. Not one other foreigner around. No skinheads,styroid freaks,no drunks,no bargirls the list goes on.Good clean living people,who smile and are kind.

For you people who know EVERYTHING, I paid no sinsot. We were married in Bangkok and her sister and the sister's husband who live in Bangkok, were our witnesses. After we were married, we had a nice dinner at a Bangkok restaurant. That was the extent of our party. My wife doesn't own a dress and she is a very fit hard working farm girl. Within fifty kilometers we have a Tesco Lotus super store, a Makro, Big C and a Home Pro. They have anything I could possibly want. I hate shopping and send my wife to do everything. For just a farang food fix, there is a 7-11 within five kilometers and Tesco Lotus mini market within twenty eight kilometers. What more could I ask for?