Police

leighd7

I see now In Chiangmai the Police up to there old tricks targeting Foreigners on bikes and trying to extort money again.

I thought they was not allowed to set up these road blocks anymore unless they have a sign up saying why and what for.

Helmet and all correct paperwork and licence, yet still try to get money.

Told him to write his name down on the form , and didn't have any money on me, he had already given me back my license and wouldn't put his name on the form.

In the end he threw it away.

And I drove off.

Three on a bike no Helmet if you Thia its fine.

English Man all correct paper work 30 years experience not fine.

Ain't they got any proper police work to do, No as they dont know what that is.........

Edited by leighd7

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am fine I never let them get one over unless I really am In the wrong.

I perfectly relaxed.

I just making people aware, as the last 4 months there has been no blocks anywhere only night time for alcohol.

I might be angry at their incompetence to carry out police work correctly.

But that's a different story.

If you had everything in order, what was the "form"?

What did he throw away?

For fine go pay at station to get license back.

Argued about it not being correct license.

you know what they like try anything for their whiskey money.

Edited by leighd7

You showed a car license while on motorbike?

Or International license / some-other-country-license?

(Wondering why the license would not be correct.. that's not normally in doubt with a Thai license that's valid adn for the vehicle that you're driving. Would like to figure out if they actually had somewhat of a point, or completely a case of DWF (Driving While Farang). ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The License was correct International drive bike or car.

No more silly questions.

They try to pull a fast one.

When they had the choice to take it to the station and make it official.

They threw the paper work out.

They were only after money.

Full stop..........

You showed a car license while on motorbike?

Or International license / some-other-country-license?

(Wondering why the license would not be correct.. that's not normally in doubt with a Thai license that's valid adn for the vehicle that you're driving. Would like to figure out if they actually had somewhat of a point, or completely a case of DWF (Driving While Farang). wink.png

Yes it was DWF . Not heard that before LOL

We went to the post office just along from Wararot on Monday and they had set one up there outside the post office museum. Didn't appear to be any signs or a bigwig there, just the red triangle things to alert people to their presence, but it's just outside the police station so a senior officer wasn't far away. Pulling motorbikes only it seemed but I could be wrong, I didn't pay much attention.

If OPS license is correct please answer how long have you been using international license in Thailand?

Thailand only allows you to use international for 90 days after arrival.

Not true British License and International Driving Permit is valid for one year.

With this you can apply for a Thai license without taking any Test.

Just letter from Doctor

And proof of residency.

I've seen roadblocks on the SuperHighway twice in the past three weeks, and several in the Santhitem area over the last month, all with swarms of Thai riders . I was stopped 2-3 times, but after showing my driver's license, just waved on. At one roadblock this afternoon on the road leading north from the NW corner of the moat, I saw several Thais, including two LOL (Little Old Ladies) all of whom were wearing helmets. I was turning the corner at that roadblock and figured I'd get stopped as I was going so slowly, but wasn't,

These roadblocks are only operational for a couple of hours at a time.

Question: How many Farang do you suppose pass by that one roadblock in 2-3 hours? Is it really logical to think that they would use that as a plan to make money from them? Doesn't make sense to me unless the roadblock was set up down Moon Muang Soi 9, rather than on the SuperHIghway or down some back soi.

If OPS license is correct please answer how long have you been using international license in Thailand?

Not true British License and International Driving Permit is valid for one year.

Just letter from Doctor

And proof of residency.

Absolutely correct,We used ours to get our Thai driving licenses, the transport office were not interested in our UK photo licenses only the IDP ,but were told we could only use the IDP for 180 days.

PS there is no such thing as an internationional driving license .

And before Any more questions on License

http://thailand.angloinfo.com/transport/driving-licences/

I only posted this to make people aware that they have started up again after a few months off no road blocks.

And they burgers are Hungry.

There have been plenty of roadblocks during the past few months. You just didn't see them.

I believe if you reside in Thailand longer then 90 days you are required to obtain a Thai license.

On the other hand an IDP is valid for 1 year and if you are making short trips to

Thailand you can use that for up to a year.It all depends if you are a resident or not.

I've seen roadblocks on the SuperHighway twice in the past three weeks, and several in the Santhitem area over the last month, all with swarms of Thai riders . I was stopped 2-3 times, but after showing my driver's license, just waved on. At one roadblock this afternoon on the road leading north from the NW corner of the moat, I saw several Thais, including two LOL (Little Old Ladies) all of whom were wearing helmets. I was turning the corner at that roadblock and figured I'd get stopped as I was going so slowly, but wasn't,

Well I haven't seen any for months in the Inner city around the moat. Like before.

SO maybe that one I went through today was official

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/861574-mobile-roadblocks-against-traffic-violators-scrapped-nationwide/

Was stopped on a bike today morning on Chang Lor Rd by the moat. Large police force was stopping every single bike, locals too. Had no international drivers licence, paid 200 baht at the table, got a receipt and was allowed to continue. No complaints, my choice driving without proper paperwork.

An IDP is valid for one-year periods. But that does NOT mean you can use them in the same country for one year straight. Almost ALL countries require that if you remain within them for certain lengths of time that you obtain a valid driver's license for that country. The IDP also requires that you have a valid driver's license with you from your home country. It is NOT a license in and of itself, only a 'permit' to drive in a foreign country. In some countries, using an IDP beyond the legal term for that country 'can be' grounds for immediate deportation. It pays to know how long each country allows.

Just letter from Doctor

And proof of residency.

It is true go to any license office they will put you right.

International licenses are valid for 1 year, but Thailand only recognises them for 90 days OK.