How about a "Dislike" Button?

menzies233

You can't.

This forum is run by an off-the-shelf product that anyone can buy.

Talk to the developer.

that's not the reason - many modules are available for Invision Powerboard and their installation is not difficult.

The decision to not include a dislike button is mainly about political correctness and making sure some posts and messages cannot be openly disliked by members.

In this politically correct world we now seem to have to live in disliking something isn't allowed unless it is an official and authorised " ISM " or " OBIC " Outside of these it is not allowed

and the same as "beliefs" must be respected...............bloody tripe.

It would be highly revealing though: imagine those posts by junta supporters that get likes from their fellows. Would be interesting to see how those likes compare to the amounts of dislikes and would help contextualize the reality of what is a truly "popular" post.

I thought there had been one in the past, but it was deemed to cause trouble?

I rather like the idea myself.

It was great. We could slap a green Heineken label, or a red McEwan's on posts willy nilly. Sadly, it was taken too seriously, and led to ill-feeling and abuse. Also, i think the beer sponsorship options were never fully explored, and Scottish Brewers has now gone the way of Theakston's

As mentioned, it was implemented, totally abused and subsequently removed.

You do have the 'ignore" funtion if you dont wish to see particular posters ckntributions.

How exactly was it abused?

I have difficulties to understand how a like/dislike button with that simple binary function can be abused.

You do have the 'ignore" funtion if you dont wish to see particular posters ckntributions.

I have difficulties to understand how a like/dislike button with that simple binary function can be abused.

You lack imagination.

When they had a dislike button, people who disagreed called their mates and likes for perfectly good posts were wiped out.

This also applied to certain posters likes being wiped out too.

oh, you mean dislikes cancelled other people's likes?

You lack imagination.

possibly!

my lack of imagination prevents me from imagining how badly such a feature can be implemented (for example with dislikes cancelling out other people's likes), when there are enough way to make the feature useful and protect it from misuse.

for example by restricting use of the button to users with more than X posts and having been a member for more than Y days plus limiting each member to a maximum of Z dislikes per day.

I thought there had been one in the past, but it was deemed to cause trouble?

I rather like the idea myself.

indeed, it nearly killed jinghting when they boys club took a chunk out of his likes.

it was very entertaining.

Archived