Why don't car tires get cheaper?

TheCruncher

So hundreds of tire companies get together and conspire to make crappy tires rather than one of them deciding to be the only company to offer the 100k tire and becoming the most popular brand in the world.

You guys crack me up.

Polyurethane is one of the toughest elastomers around. But hey, I'm only a research scientist. I'm pleased I provide entertainment for your superior intellect.biggrin.png

So hundreds of tire companies get together and conspire to make crappy tires rather than one of them deciding to be the only company to offer the 100k tire and becoming the most popular brand in the world.

You guys crack me up.

Polyurethane is one of the toughest elastomers around. But hey, I'm only a research scientist. I'm pleased I provide entertainment for your superior intellect.biggrin.png

What you may or may not be means nothing to me. If you can produce a tire that lasts100,000 miles with comparable ride quality and traction at a competitive price, you should start a tire company.

If you are already a billionaire, please tell me how as I would like to be rich and famous.

So why not start a tire company?

You guys crack me up.

What you may or may not be means nothing to me. If you can produce a tire that lasts100,000 miles with comparable ride quality and traction at a competitive price, you should start a tire company.

If you are already a billionaire, please tell me how as I would like to be rich and famous.

When polyurethane hit the market in the 1960's, just about every company was looking for applications for it. The chair you are sitting on is probably polyurethane foam. The whispers in the polymer field were several tyre companies had developed 100k plus tyres with it, based on accelerated testing. But why sell a tyre with double or triple the life, if you can make more profit with established polymers?

Planned obsolescence is nothing new. It supports a number of industries. Try reading Vance Packard's "The Waste Makers". Published in the 1950's I think , but what he has to say is still valid today.

If you want to think about it, the laptop, tablet or smartphones we have are ideal examples of planned obsolescence. Don't think there is a single executive in those industries who wants us to be keeping a laptop for 20 years.

Or take the American car industry. The Japanese upset the applecart of planned obsolescence big time.

You're too late to be rich and famous. You needed to start with an idea and dedication to it when you were in your twenties. If I had followed my idea maybe I'd be a billionaire now. Instead, I got married.

You guys crack me up.

When polyurethane hit the market in the 1960's, just about every company was looking for applications for it. The chair you are sitting on is probably polyurethane foam. The whispers in the polymer field were several tyre companies had developed 100k plus tyres with it, based on accelerated testing. But why sell a tyre with double or triple the life, if you can make more profit with established polymers?

Planned obsolescence is nothing new. It supports a number of industries. Try reading Vance Packard's "The Waste Makers". Published in the 1950's I think , but what he has to say is still valid today.

If you want to think about it, the laptop, tablet or smartphones we have are ideal examples of planned obsolescence. Don't think there is a single executive in those industries who wants us to be keeping a laptop for 20 years.

Or take the American car industry. The Japanese upset the applecart of planned obsolescence big time.

You're too late to be rich and famous. You needed to start with an idea and dedication to it when you were in your twenties. If I had followed my idea maybe I'd be a billionaire now. Instead, I got married.

The American auto industry is not really a good example of planned obsolescence. Back in the '70s and '80s is a car got to 100,000 miles it was usually junk. Now it is very common to find vehicles with 150,000 miles or more, than run and drive nearly as well as a new one.

In the auto industry, getting the consumers to buy a new vehicle ("upgrade") is more about style than substance. Functionally, the latest model Toyota HiLux Vigo PreRunner is not all that more advanced than the 2008 model that I own. Granted, there are more options available, mostly luxury/comfort items, and there have been some advances in the powertrain components...but functionally it is not much different; incremental rather than revolutionary.

The major "upgrade" is in the style/sheet metal.

You guys crack me up.

DELETED

Planned obsolescence has nothing to do with poor quality or things that wear out quickly.

Having Goodyears wear out in 60,000 km rather than 100,000 doesn't help Goodyear if they're replaced with Dunlops.

Edited by seedy
troll / flaming

Having Goodyears wear out in 60,000 km rather than 100,000 doesn't help Goodyear if they're replaced with Dunlops.

I get what you mean, but... Dunlop is a Goodyear sub-brand, so not the best example :P

I can't keep up with the brands we build, much less other companies.

100,000 KM tires have been around for some time guys :D

http://www.goodyear.co.th/tyres/goodyear-assurance-duraplus

So much for holding back tech :P

I know, right. I've been getting 100K out of my tires, since the 80's.

But then again, I'm smart enough not to race up to a red light and slam on the brakes. It takes a real genius to drive like that, 555