need to carry when riding

rodknock

If you carry the green book you give a thief everything he needs to get out the full potential of your stolen bike.

You need the paper from the insurance company, the sticker for the paid taxes and your license. The rest is at least to my knowledge optional. I do put copies of the green book as well as more insurance info into a plastic cover and into the bikes. Never ever needed them.

One exception : when I was driving without license plates the police fined me for not carrying purchasing documents to prove I did not steal the bike.

Edited by foodieontour

Under seat:

registration sticker

insurance

copy greenback page

copy passport info and visa pages sure doesn't hurt if problems [accident]

Wallet:

Drivers' license

Thai currency sometimes required 200-400baht

Be very respectful, smile a lot, & and wear a Buddha medallion around neck.

I swear cops have given me breaks seeing 'Buddha'.

Edited by papa al

Under seat:

registration sticker

Not the first dispute about this.

The registration sticker has to be attached visibly at the outside of the vehicle.

There are different methods (gadgets) to do that waterproof.

Hiding under the seat gives a welcome reason to be stopped at checkpoints.

however debatable whether to carry your actual licence. I carry a copy plus an out of date IDP

I always have the original Thai driving license with me.

Replacing in a case of loss or theft is not that big a matter (much different to a lost passport).

Edited by KhunBENQ

I'm not too sure why you would carry a copy of your license. Whenever I'm stopped, pulled over or when I had an accident - the first thing the police and the only English they speak is "license" followed by this hand gesture holding an imaginary plastic card. If you don't carry it surely your asking for trouble, either leaving your bike with them and retrieving it with the aid of a taxi.

This is the only thing these guys care about. I have copies of everything in my Kriega backpack but always carry the plastic card with my ATM card, both of which I never leave home without.

Even when I have been stopped for a passport, just pulling out a Thai DL is enough to satisfy them .. Followed by - "ha pee lor" and an OK.

Edited by recom273

Under seat:

registration sticker

The registration sticker has to be attached visibly at the outside of the vehicle.

No, it does not have to be visible, you just have to be able to show it, so under the seat is fine.

Same for your car, by the way.

Under seat:

registration sticker

No, it does not have to be visible, you just have to be able to show it, so under the seat is fine.

Same for your car, by the way.

That may or may not be true, the part about not having to be visible.

However, for the car at least, I have gone through several checkpoints where all they were doing was looking at the sticker on the windshield, and waving those valid ones through.

So if it was not on display then a person gets to pull to the side for further scrutiny.

Who wants that?

Years back I got stopped in town, they asked me for my bike-up-key, didn't have it. They wrote out a ticket for no licence 200baht and no "bike's user manual" another 200baht. I was following my GF in the truck and she stopped and read the fine, found the book under the seat, so I only paid 200baht.

So now I carry both those two items, plus copy of green book (not the original unless travelling abroad) and copy of me and also the wife's passport.

Oh and the tax disc, she keeps my insurance with her.