scary walking through my village after dark

davetrout

Funny when i walked from my gfs house there were houses that had dogs that just saw me a westerner and went for me and than there were houses that had dogs and were freindly. The unfriendly ones when continually confronted with kindness became confused and despite other dogs reacting positively , didn't know how to react and eventually ran back growling into their houses . Personally i think dogs pick up on how the owner feel ie don't like westerners and some do. V broad assumption

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, a good dog, and I mean a dog that inherited a good temperament won't attack a human. It sees the human as its leader and it is a pack animal by nature.

In the West dogs are often bred for temperament and bad ones are culled by at least sterilizing. Most breeders are responsible. In Thailand you get what you get and the worst become the dominate pack leaders.

I killed a rottweiler a few years back that I was certain was readying a viscous attack. I was running my Bobcat excavator at the time and I simply shot him, dug his grave, pushed him in with the bucket and covered him up. Although what I did was legal I didn't want neighbors who owned him upset with me.

I don't know what to tell you, as in a civilized country such dogs are impounded and if not claimed and after paying a stiff fine by the owner, they are put down.

It has nothing to do with "good" dog or "bad" dog, it's how the dog was brought up. Generally, the dog sees his owner as the pack leader, not any human as the pack leader. And if the owner did his job correctly, the dog will see the rest of the family members as higher above it in the pack and will not harm them. However, a stranger passing near the dog's territory will be seen by the dog as an intruder that has to be guarded against.

As for you killing a Rottie just because you were " certain was readying a viscous attack" - I am pretty sure it is illegal in any country, and as a dog owner I am sorry to hear the owners of the dog never found out what you did.

Oh ps. As a rule of thumb do not take a thai's advice on handling dogs. They really arnt very good with them. And generally important not a Thai basher oh and the other thing is 'generally' its more effective to treat dogs with kindness try it It may take a touch more time but it works. Next time they run at you stand your ground show your not scared That's important and have some biscuits in your pocket. Try this 2 or 3 times. By the ? Time they will eventually be looking at you as the biscuits man rather than the territory encroacher.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Have a dog myself, so don't call me a dog hater.

Used to ride my bicycle every day on the same route.

One big dog always charged at me. Then I prepared a stick, a metal stick.

Next time the dog came near enough it was hit hard on its snout.

It never came close to me and my bicycle again.

Next time it was a pack of five. I rode slowly, waiting for the bravest to come close enough.

Again a hard hit on its snout. It yelped and the whole pack ran off.

Was never disturbed again by any of them.

My advice: don't be afraid, arm yourself with a stick when you go walking, day or night.

regarding rocks for self defense: most have had encounters with rock throwing. No rock nearby? No problem. Act like you are picking one up and make throwing motion..... dog is not going to hang around to find out if a real rock was thrown. You may have bad luck of encountering one that never had rock thrown, so not 100% sure thing. Also suggest standing still, facing them, not showing anger or fear. Stare them down in non threatening manner...

I've been bitten twice: once on a bike, got off and stared them down. Other time bit by dog that had seen me before, bit from behind. I was just getting over dengue fever.... maybe I smelled differently?

Used to ride my bicycle every day on the same route.

A bicycle pump that fits to frame is handy, you can reach down and bam you have a nice weapon. it's got to be the kind that fits to the frame with a spring so you can get hold of it easily.

No, a good dog, and I mean a dog that inherited a good temperament won't attack a human. It sees the human as its leader and it is a pack animal by nature.

In the West dogs are often bred for temperament and bad ones are culled by at least sterilizing. Most breeders are responsible. In Thailand you get what you get and the worst become the dominate pack leaders.

I killed a rottweiler a few years back that I was certain was readying a viscous attack. I was running my Bobcat excavator at the time and I simply shot him, dug his grave, pushed him in with the bucket and covered him up. Although what I did was legal I didn't want neighbors who owned him upset with me.

I don't know what to tell you, as in a civilized country such dogs are impounded and if not claimed and after paying a stiff fine by the owner, they are put down.

You shot your neighbours dog and buried it in your garden because you thought it was planning to attack you?

I'm glad you're not my neighbour.

If you are sure a dog, or even a person is threatening to attack you, then you make sure you get in there first, if you have a weapon, then all the better.

Before setting up overseas I had a German Shepard which I took with me to Africa. That dog never barked unless you played with it and it became excited. You could eave the gate open and it wouldn't go out if if another dog walked past. It would however protect the property and me and my wife if we took it for a walk. The difference between my dog and most of the dogs in Thailand is that I spent time and trained it. In Thailand owning a dog seems to be buy it then let it run anywhere it wants.

No offense to any dog owners who don't let their dogs run wild but unfortunately most do

Edited by gandalf12

How violent, I find a nice stout staff with a16d nail through one end quite sufficient for nightly walks.

Have you ever noticed how people often close their eyes when they want to listen very careful, for example when listening for the finer details in classic music. They are trying to simulate night conditions.

Try googling: 'Why does sound travel better at night'.

Sound travels further in colder air.

Not sure if it has anything to do with lightness or darkness.

lt just happens to be colder at night.

Usually where I come from when a pet dog strays on to a farm it is shot in the leg. After that, it is still alive and can still be someone's pet but it doesn't maim calves or lambs- not quick enough any more

Village dogs are not strays, they are taken care of because they help with security.

In the villages people are usually in bed by 10pm so after dark there are very few people around. Those that do pass through are almost always in a pick up truck or on a bike and they pass by quickly. By walking slowly into the dog's territory you are a potential threat. This is the dog's chance to put you in your place, ie. away from its territory, and almost anyone except those who misunderstand where they are (in a foreign land) understands this.

Furthermore, after dark is the time when dogs own the village. It's not just about protecting territory from suspicious strangers: usually some time between 11pm and midnight the animals of the village, the dogs, buffalo and cockerels will have a mad half hour. This is their time to broadcast across the neighbourhood and be answered by their peers because sound can travel more clearly once the people are asleep. Thus there is all manner of howling, mooing and crowing but it usually lasts no more than thirty minutes. Once you understand village life you will know that mad half hour is like a curfew call to all drunken foreigners who have ventured out of their depth.

I think this is nuts. Not you of course, but the village concept.

If I have a dog on my property behind my fence it will alert me to a stranger. It doesn't need to and shouldn't run loose and intimidate people. Some of those people are children. If someone lets a dog run loose and intimidate people on property other than the owner's, it's the owner who is asking for trouble. Unfortunately it's the dog that gets the trouble in the form of a stick or a rock or a bullet.

I have no obligation to put up with being harassed in an intimidating way via someone's else's choice to let that dog run free. What am I supposed to do - wait until the dog bites me before I decide it's dangerous?

I've killed just one dog in my life and if I had it over I'd do it again. I was convinced I was about to get mauled. All other dogs I've encountered I've managed to deal with.

This is without even getting started about dogs that run loose on property where there are sheep or cattle. They have a very short lifespan.

Cheers.

Just take a stick with you . Like 3 feet long and 11/2 inches in diameter. Prefably with a bit of bend in it when you whack them it makes a whipping sound. Problem solved , also good for belting LBs if one pops out in front of you in the darkness. Enjoy your walk.

Pick up a stick or rock.

They know what happens next.

Most dogs also recognize slingshots and it scares them. Further some Thai on my (country) road made a 4 ft. bambo stick with a nail attached, not my idea.

I never leave home without it, t.i. when i walk my 2 dogs.

As far as I am concerned all dogs can be dangerous just like snakes; to me all of them are poisonous.

Better safe than sorry. .

I tend to avoid walking at night because of the packs of stray dogs. During the day it is OK as a stick or rock will keep them away. I ride my bicycle a lot, often on the back roads. Dogs sleeping on the road are the main nuisance, but sometimes one will go for me. I try a good kick in the snout and it is very satisfying when I (infrequently) land one. Maybe the dog will learn not to chase things. If they regularly chase scooters it is only a matter of time before they are hit or killed by someone.

We have a fenced property with our own (not very brave) dogs. However, once every few months an aggressive dog will get in. I'm not going to tolerate getting bailed up on my own property by a strange dog, so I won't hesitate to shoot at it. However, I only have an air rifle, and just give it a few pumps, so it gives the dog a shock and it never comes back.

A couple of times I have found a dead dog in my pond. I don't know if the dogs go there to die or the nieghbours dump them.

They are everywhere...the soi dogs are ok because they are socialized and around people all day....but the dogs on someone's property are dangerous....here in BKK I already know what neighborhoods I cannot walk thru because of this...Thais (and I am not being racist here) are about the most irresponsible animal owners I have ever seen on the planet and I have been to a lot of places.

"Thais (and I am not being racist here) are about the most irresponsible animal owners I have ever seen on the planet "

Depends on what you mean by irresponsible, I suppose.

In the US they let someone else kill off animals out of sight ... if you don't see the problem it doesn't exist.

Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats.

Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats).

Or they go into no-kill shelters or are left on the streets ...

the alternative—warehousing them in “no-kill” shelters that confine animals to cages for weeks, months, or years on end—leaves animals to suffer a far worse fate. Nathan Winograd, the most well-known “no-kill”advocate, supports such shelters despite the fact that under these conditions, many animals go insane from loneliness and confinement. Many more unwanted animals are simply abandoned to suffer and die on the streets or languish in lonely backyards without companionship, exercise, or, in many cases, even basic necessities such as food, water, shelter, or veterinary care.

And pretty much the same story in UK

The RSPCA destroys nearly half the animals it ‘rescues’ each year, with thousands being put down for non-medical reasons, shocking figures obtained by The Mail on Sunday reveal.

The animal-welfare charity destroyed 53,000 animals last year – 44 per cent of those it took in – leading critics to claim that the organisation spends too much time on prosecuting cases of neglect and cruelty and not enough on finding new homes for animals.

The charity insists the vast majority of the animals were put down to end their suffering, but it admits that last year alone 3,400 animals were destroyed for ‘non-medical’ reasons, such as the lack of space in kennels and catteries.

Mace, pocket taser (can be bought here, not sure about Thailand) or one of those or one of those whistles, whatchamacallthem, that humans can't hear but dogs can.

And all in a sudden surrounded by a pack of wolfs.....or perhaps Catwheezle?

They are everywhere...the soi dogs are ok because they are socialized and around people all day....but the dogs on someone's property are dangerous....here in BKK I already know what neighborhoods I cannot walk thru because of this...Thais (and I am not being racist here) are about the most irresponsible animal owners I have ever seen on the planet and I have been to a lot of places.

You haven't been to Indo!

Pick up a stick or rock.

They know what happens next.

I used to pull that trick, it would work on one or two dogs.

There used to be small road I'd walk, I once made the mistake of walking at dusk. As the Op mentioned the dogs became somehow more brave and empowered at this time.

After picking up the stone the dog hesitated but didn't scarper... it was soon joined by another dog, then another... soon there were 5 or 6 dogs.. while I was trying to remain firm and calmly walk on slowly... (I was crapping myself)... these dogs were growling, seething...

Fortunately someone came past on a motorcycle, saw my predicament and pulled up. I didn't need a second invitation to hop on the back.

IMO, I was very close to being attacked, mulled and chewed apart by a load of street dogs which had packed together.

It was an extremely frightening experience.

This is called the "pack mentality", which is natural in all canines, and has unfortunately been adopted by some humans.

I find that marinated liver does the trick. you can easily take out care of the entire soi dog population with a few kg of lovingly prepared liver. I got bitten at the last place I lived, so did a preemptive strike before I moved to this place

Yeah,sure you did.