Non immigrant O/A multiple entry visa

I dont need to apply for one because I'm here already (retiredment) but my mate has one and his coming over next month (to stay for a month). Can somebody tell me what this entitles him to.

Its so long ago that I had to think about visas that I cant remember and I never had a multiple entry visa anyway.

• Your friends visa will
  • Provide a one year stay (90 day reports required)
  • Allow multiple exits/reentries whilst the visa is valid. On each return a new one year "permission to stay" will be granted.
  • An exit/reentry made just prior to the visa expiring will provide another one year stay ( during this second year a re-entry permit is required if travelling outside Thailand.

OP not directly to your question however. You mention you don't recall much about visas as been long time ago.

You mention your here on RETIREMENT. Just for interest what visa or extension are you on to live in thailand.

• Your friends visa will
  • Provide a one year stay (90 day reports required)
  • Allow multiple exits/reentries whilst the visa is valid. On each return a new one year "permission to stay" will be granted.
  • An exit/reentry made just prior to the visa expiring will provide another one year stay ( during this second year a re-entry permit is required if travelling outside Thailand.

Thanks for the information. Very succinct and clearly stated, except that I am very nervous about these procedures. Allow me to clarify a little, at the risk of being too careful and taxing your benevolence, for which I apologize in advance.

If one leaves (using whatever means?) on the 89th day, one does not need to "report" to an immigration office as the "reporting" is done by showing at the airport or at the border. Correct?

I am not 100% sure what you mean when "on each return a new one year "permission to stay" will be granted. So, after leaving on the 89th day and returning X days after, on that return day, one will be given a new one year permission to stay where the 90 days reporting protocol will be in effect from that re-entry/return day. If that is correct, that is a sweet deal.

Are there any fees to be paid if one is given another year to stay (an extension) or if one reports to an immigration office?

I hope those questions were not redundant, but one can never be too sure. LOL

you have to make a report to local immigration office on the 90th day of stay in Thailand, and then every 90 day following that, if an exit from Thailand is made the clock/ day count stops, and the 90days have a fresh start on re-entry which is day one.

each entry made to Thailand during the validity period will give a fresh 1 year permission to stay stamp ( as posted in post #3 )

• 1 month later...

you have to make a report to local immigration office on the 90th day of stay in Thailand, and then every 90 day following that, if an exit from Thailand is made the clock/ day count stops, and the 90days have a fresh start on re-entry which is day one.

each entry made to Thailand during the validity period will give a fresh 1 year permission to stay stamp ( as posted in post #3 )

Sorry about my ignorance, does this mean that if he goes and comes on a regular basis the visa will stay currant for years if he comes back every year. IE He wont have to change to a Retirement visa until he is good and ready.

Sorry about my ignorance, does this mean that if he goes and comes on a regular basis the visa will stay currant for years if he comes back every year. IE He wont have to change to a Retirement visa until he is good and ready.

No Visa lasts forever !

All Thai visas have an " enter before date" which is also the date the visa expires.

Once a visa expires it is of no further use.

OP not directly to your question however. You mention you don't recall much about visas as been long time ago.

You mention your here on RETIREMENT. Just for interest what visa or extension are you on to live in thailand.

Just sorted out my old passport. It was an 'O' visa. issued on the 19June 2006 at Hull. I had already produced Police Report and proof of earnings (savings) back in the UK. Arrived here on the 3rd July (stamp valid for 3 months). Went to Pattaya Imm before it ran out.

My visa was dated at Pattaya Imm to run to the 2nd July 2007 and is stamped Retirement.

When you fill the application form for your extension to stay you are asked the reason for staying and you put retirement.

Hope this helps.

Just sorted out my old passport. It was an 'O' visa. issued on the 19June 2006 at Hull. I had already produced Police Report and proof of earnings (savings) back in the UK. Arrived here on the 3rd July (stamp valid for 3 months). Went to Pattaya Imm before it ran out.

My visa was dated at Pattaya Imm to run to the 2nd July 2007 and is stamped Retirement.

When you fill the application form for your extension to stay you are asked the reason for staying and you put retirement.

Hope this helps.

This is why I asked you that question. You are in Los on permission of stay that you need to apply for new permission of stay every 12 months. There will be a stamp that states "retirement" all that means is your permission of stay is based on retirement.

If you had originally entered with an OA then effectively after approx 2 years you would have been in exactly same boat as if you had started with non imm O. Your friend has couple of advantages. Has multiple entry so can come and go as pleases. Also if exits just prior to enter before date has another 12 month with same deal.

Edited by jacksam