Anyone teaching at Regents Pattaya or St Andrews Pattaya?

Mobi

My daughter is applying in the UK for teaching positions at Regents Pattaya and St Andrews Pattaya (Ban chang).

She currently teaches maths at a prestigious C of E School in the UK and has a 1st class honours degree from Leeds University in cognitive science (maths and computers) and also has a post grad master's degree in Education. She is also an accomplished musician. Her mother is Thai but she was born in the UK and can't speak much Thai.

Can anyone advise which would be the better school to teach at? On the face of it, Regents seems to be the better bet, but maybe I'm wrong. Also does anyone have any idea of the salary scales, as the application details don't include any salary information?

Thanks for any info.

Mobi

The better school to teach at is surely the C of E school in the UK - permanent contract, legal rights, a union, pension, no discrimination for being half Thai - she's going to give all that up? It's easy to leave, sure, but very hard to move back.

The better school to teach at is surely the C of E school in the UK - permanent contract, legal rights, a union, pension, no discrimination for being half Thai - she's going to give all that up? It's easy to leave, sure, but very hard to move back.

Thank you for your comments, but unfortunately, they do not address my query.

My daughter is fully cognisant of the issues that may arise in spending a few years away from the UK. It is something she wants to do - explore her Thai roots and be close to her father for a while before settling down back in the UK, where she already has a house.

In any event, with her outstanding qualifications, I doubt she will have much of a problem finding a teaching job. There is always a high demand for maths teachers.

I can't say much about the relative merits of the two schools, though I believe that they are both 'real' international school with overseas accreditation. However, I would offer two bits of advice:

1. Don't mention being 1/2 Thai up front. A Thai-American friend, who was a US certified Math teacher, was offered only Thai wages when she applied for a job at an International school. She was able to get better pay at an EP program.

2. Be prepared for erratic, top-down management from the school's Thai administration.

I can't say much about the relative merits of the two schools, though I believe that they are both 'real' international school with overseas accreditation. However, I would offer two bits of advice:

1. Don't mention being 1/2 Thai up front. A Thai-American friend, who was a US certified Math teacher, was offered only Thai wages when she applied for a job at an International school. She was able to get better pay at an EP program.

2. Be prepared for erratic, top-down management from the school's Thai administration.

Thanks. She's English by birth and spent her whole life in the UK. She has only been to Thailand for holidays. Her interviews are in London, so it is most unlikely they will try to offer her Thai wages - if they do, she won't take it.

She is being offered the full expat teacher package, airfares, visa, work permit, housing allowances, free places for children etc, so I think we can discount that possibility. The only thing they haven't told her in advance of the interview is the salary, so we shall see.

She will be fine. Don't bother about being half/thai whatsoever. I work at one of the mentioned Int. schools in Pattaya. Both are great and professional. If your daughter was hired from abroad the schools will not offer her less. I have never had my contract changed after signing. There are many of us western teachers around, she will make friends and have a great time.

She will be fine. Don't bother about being half/thai whatsoever. I work at one of the mentioned Int. schools in Pattaya. Both are great and professional. If your daughter was hired from abroad the schools will not offer her less. I have never had my contract changed after signing. There are many of us western teachers around, she will make friends and have a great time.

Thanks for the reassurances - I'm sure it will work out well.

I don't know about St Andrew's, but the last time I checked with Regents, the top salary was about 90K/Month. That was with about 8 years experience though. It' could be more now. The lower end could be 60-70K. Generally these schools have lots of competition from a limited number if places. Good luck to her in any event.

International school salaries are notoriously difficult to find out and jealously guarded by all except the top paying schools (as might would expect!). This is not confined to Thailand, but is a worldwide problem for international school teachers. The maximum for a relatively inexperienced teacher in Pattaya should be between 70,000 and 100,000 Baht a month. More should be added for your daughter's master degree. Then there should be a housing allowance ranging from 10,000 to 30,000 a month, The better schools (which probably includes Regents and possibly St Andrews), also give an annual or bi-annual bonus of 1-2 months salary in lieu of a pension. Also ask about medical insurance - most schools offer it, but limits, exclusions and geographical range vary wildly.

International school teaching can be a fantastic life for those who take to it. There are some pitfalls to working in Thailand, but faced with a choice between teaching in UK and Thailand (I've done both), your daughter may well find she wants to stick around for quite a while!

Thanks, millwall_fan,

Yes, her package does include 'medical'. I think she will enjoy it out here. She has been to Thailand many times on holidays and has spent a fair amount of time with me in Pattaya over the years, so she is quite familiar with the place. Of course, it's different when you live here, but she's not coming out 'sight unseen'.

I confess it came as a big (and pleasant) surprise when she told me she was going for the interview. I had thought she was well settled in the UK with a good teaching job, her own home and all her friends and social activities etc. Just goes to show...

Your input on salary is good and I will pass it on, although I guess she will know soon enough if she passes the interview.

I'll keep you all informed.

Mobi

Stick to Regents. More serious about education than St Andrews.

Not that I'm aware of. Can you provide specifics?

I'd argue they are much a muchness. Both mid/low-2nd tier IS's. Neither are great schools but OK for a first overseas posting.

Good luck to her (and yourself Mobi).

• 2 months later...

I'd say forget the Regents.

Tutored student from the other school and liked their programs and teaching staff.

I taught at the Regents and was not really impressed with the management. But that was a long time ago and things may have changed.

Archived