What is the diff between northern and north eastern thais?

Howitzer

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about all the differences, but the northern Thais have always seemed a little more genuine and relaxed to me. Classier and more civilized too. It seems like the northeastern Thais are a bit snappier and mostly looked down upon in Thai society. Most of the negative stereotypes and reputations associated with Thai people seem to be reflective of Isan people. Also, this isn't really a difference, but it's worth noting Isan makes up a very large percentage of the nation. I think it's somewhere around 30%, in population and area.

Isaan people are the most genuinely friendly people in Thailand.

A very generalised statmennt, a bit like saying all Bangkokonions are rich.

I have lived in Isaan for over 10 years, of course I have met lots of genuine, down to earth people up here. I have also met my fair share of the others.

Everybody has their own thoughts in life, and really, it should not be influenced on where you were born or come from, you should be able to judge people on how you see them as individual people.

I was brought up in a working class UK Northern city, although you have a well known 'North - South divide', I think no better or worse of someone whichever side they are from. I will then make a personal viewpoint on their personality, regardless of where they are born.

There are food, language and cultural differences between the two regions. Geographic differences affect water supply and to some extent the kind of farming they do.

During the Vietnam war era the US military personnel were mainly based in the Isaan area which led to many of the stereotypes about western men and Isaan prostitutes, which persist to this day.
Isaan is the largest population base but the people are viewed as poor and unsophisticated laborers by many. They tend to be overrepresented in western oriented prostitution and in the overseas construction and manual labor type industries.
Within each region there is a wide variance between individuals and social classes which often lead to disagreements based on the personal experiences of different posters. These limited personal experiences are too often generalized to an entire region or the nation as a whole.
Edited by villagefarang

There are food, language and cultural differences between the two regions. Geographic differences affect water supply and to some extent the kind of farming they do.

During the Vietnam war era the US military personnel were mainly based in the Isaan area which led to many of the stereotypes about western men and Isaan prostitutes, which persist to this day.
Isaan is the largest population base but the people are viewed as poor and unsophisticated laborers by many. They tend to be overrepresented in western oriented prostitution and in the overseas construction and manual labor type industries.
Within each region there is a wide variance between individuals and social classes which often lead to disagreements based on the personal experiences of different posters. These limited personal experiences are too often generalized to an entire region or the nation as a whole.

I agree with you in many ways but I think more to the point is that past climatic differences (before the dams) made rural Issan an area subject to massive droughts and famines. This encouraged...or even forced people from there to send their children to the cities to work as indentured servents (now considered human trafficing).

The North regeion was not so influenced by the climate.

The reasons for the differences in culture and practice are too complex to put it a few words. What can be said is that whichever reason it may have been people from both region can be good or bad and show all the human faults and virtues as can all people.

I agree with you in many ways but I think more to the point is that past climatic differences (before the dams) made rural Issan an area subject to massive droughts and famines. This encouraged...or even forced people from there to send their children to the cities to work as indentured servents (now considered human trafficing).

The reasons for the differences in culture and practice are too complex to put it a few words. What can be said is that whichever reason it may have been people from both region can be good or bad and show all the human faults and virtues as can all people.

You are correct of course with regard to climate, I just see most of the climatic differences being due to the geography so did not separate the two or explain the geographic differences.

One sensible answer so far. And that was from a reptile!

A very colorful and knowledgable reptile.smile.png

who happens to " live in a house, in a field, in a valley with a view " in one of the areas concerned for many years.biggrin.png

You are correct of course with regard to climate, I just see most of the climatic differences being due to the geography so did not separate the two or explain the geographic differences.

I think where we differ is how we see the role of the US.

I see it as being at that stage less important than you seem too.

In the past prostitution or mia noi activity was restricted to Thai and Chinese. The US changed this in that some of the Mia Noi activity changed to europeans and on their departure many of these girls continued in the bar scene as rewards were much higher than the past. This also encouraged newcomers (many from Issan).

The difference I see is that whereas most Thais liked younger girls these thai mia nois returned to the village when they were in their early 20s and they re-entered normal life and marriage with little stigma.

THe monetization of this practice , led by the US and helped by the German and subsequent waves of tourists led to much more money being able to be earnt and hence girls continued working much longer. This removed them from the normal marriage and village scheme and has led to a higher degree of stigmaisation of these girls.

Much more could be written. This was not an exclusively Issan phenomena but because of the greater degree of poverty in the dry seasons it became the largest source.

Of course drugs came into the picture in the late 70s and 80s to a larger degree as the Yabba scourge hit and this gave more reason for people staying in the proffession longer or entering it.

Edited by harrry

Northern are more tourist exposed and speak much English better. This is a huge generalisation, but they also seem more enterprising and willing to innovate to make money... I have no data to back that up, it would be interesting to compare SME data for the two regions.

Northeastern I've found to be more friendly, probably because foreigners are still a rarity up there. Even last year in Udon, a city, I had people smile and say hello to me on the street. Isaan are definitely worse drivers, never take a van past Korat unless you want to give yourself a heartattack

As for language, I find Isan and Khmer Thai way easier to understand than Lanna Thai. Lanna seems nasal and unclear.

Overall both people are far nicer, down to earth, and welcoming than Bangkokians. I never find myself tripping over adults taking selfies in the North or Northeast.

Edited by razorramone

Northern girls are supposed to be sweet - I can't argue, I married one.

On the whole, Northerners are lighter-skinned than Northeasterners. There is a general conception that northern girls are for the Japanese while Isaan girls are for Europeans.

There are culinary differences, but I can't say that they strike me as profound.

North -- Lanna/Burma

Northeast -- Isaan/Lao

I'm sure the Khmer and Guay people will be very happy that you overlooked them.

Uh oh. I'm sure. True there are a lot of Gay people from Isaan.

No, they are all round your neck of the woods. smile.png

I said FROM, not IN.

North -- Lanna/Burma
Northeast -- Isaan/Lao

I'm sure the Khmer and Guay people will be very happy that you overlooked them.

Uh oh. I'm sure. True there are a lot of Gay people from Isaan.

No, they are all round your neck of the woods. smile.png

I said FROM, not IN.

Apologies, I stand corrected.

Isaan people are the most genuinely friendly people in Thailand.

This is the region of Thailand who is at responsible for Thailand having the reputation as being the sex tourist capital of the world.

Never been to Pattaya then? sick.gif

Edited by Eclipse

With television becoming common in even the most areas of Thailand, the differences in languages are disappearing..

Thai people who have always spoken Essan or Lao, now speak and understand " Bangkok Thai", just like they hear on all the TV soaps.

Northern are more tourist exposed and speak much English better. This is a huge generalisation, but they also seem more enterprising and willing to innovate to make money... I have no data to back that up, it would be interesting to compare SME data for the two regions.

Northeastern I've found to be more friendly, probably because foreigners are still a rarity up there. Even last year in Udon, a city, I had people smile and say hello to me on the street. Isaan are definitely worse drivers, never take a van past Korat unless you want to give yourself a heartattack

As for language, I find Isan and Khmer Thai way easier to understand than Lanna Thai. Lanna seems nasal and unclear.

Overall both people are far nicer, down to earth, and welcoming than Bangkokians. I never find myself tripping over adults taking selfies in the North or Northeast.

phibun is smiling somewhere in thai heaven (in reference to second to last statement) Edited by hookedondhamma