Comfortable on 65k baht?

akdraw

^^ "Having a good insurance is vital, despite the cost. We never used to take out travel insurance until we lived in Australia. Because we are older (in our 50's)..."

You may find, when you are Super-older (in your 60's) that good insurance isn't available. Maximum payout may be only about 10 times the annual premium. Considering the

decuctibles, exclusions, limits, it's hardly worth it for most people.

Australia is very good in that regard - travel insurance is good until you're 75 - once you're 76 you have to fill extra forms in and you may have to pay extra.

The other thing that is really good is that there is universal health care (free) and a huge amount of the population have private health cover; by law health insurance policies are also universal, meaning that there is only one fee for the policy and it can't raise the fees based on age. Only travel insurance can do this.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NancyL,

What is a "lowest of low Thai" person?

Someone in 'public service' in my experience.

Someone who doesn't have health insurance provided by their employer, privately purchased health insurance or their own source of funds.

In other words, a Thai person who is utilizing what is commonly called the "30-baht insurance program". If a Thai person is hospitalized at Suan Dok, (Majaraj) Hospital, the university hospital, they've either been referred out of their local hospital if they're relying on the 30 baht insurance program or they are part of another insurance scheme or they have their own funds. Poor Thai people cannot just show up at Suan Dok expecting treatment for free -- they're suppose to go to the hospital we're they're registered for the 30-baht program and that wouldn't be Suan Dok.

If a Thai person is hospitalized at Suan Dok under that program and doesn't have any extra funds, then they're placed in a very basic ward room, given a monotonous Thai food -- same meal it seems every meal, with copious quantities of white rice and a hard-boiled egg. I don't know what it is with the hard boiled eggs -- patients with the basic menu get those three times daily! And some newer western meds aren't on the "gov't list" so if family members can't front the money upfront, they don't receive them.

I really cannot understand your obsession with hospitals and food.

When I have been in hospital, my furthest thought was what to eat.

It is so easy to get any fayre you desire brought in, as and when.

You come across as a quite affluent expat, fair play to you.

If you went to a western restaurant, and were asked to pay the bill for the shit served in the 'so called' top hospitals, I am 100% sure you would refuse to pay for what is on offer.

NancyL,

What is a "lowest of low Thai" person?

Someone in 'public service' in my experience.

Someone who doesn't have health insurance provided by their employer, privately purchased health insurance or their own source of funds.

In other words, a Thai person who is utilizing what is commonly called the "30-baht insurance program". If a Thai person is hospitalized at Suan Dok, (Majaraj) Hospital, the university hospital, they've either been referred out of their local hospital if they're relying on the 30 baht insurance program or they are part of another insurance scheme or they have their own funds. Poor Thai people cannot just show up at Suan Dok expecting treatment for free -- they're suppose to go to the hospital we're they're registered for the 30-baht program and that wouldn't be Suan Dok.

If a Thai person is hospitalized at Suan Dok under that program and doesn't have any extra funds, then they're placed in a very basic ward room, given a monotonous Thai food -- same meal it seems every meal, with copious quantities of white rice and a hard-boiled egg. I don't know what it is with the hard boiled eggs -- patients with the basic menu get those three times daily! And some newer western meds aren't on the "gov't list" so if family members can't front the money upfront, they don't receive them.

I really cannot understand your obsession with hospitals and food.

When I have been in hospital, my furthest thought was what to eat.

It is so easy to get any fayre you desire brought in, as and when.

You come across as a quite affluent expat, fair play to you.

If you went to a western restaurant, and were asked to pay the bill for the shit

served in the 'so called' top hospitals, I am 100% sure you would refuse to pay for what is on offer.

I missed the word 'condescending', I did not know where to fit it in.

That's a bit harsh. Nancy spends a lot of time in hospitals to assist people just like us who are possibly coming to the end of their life or suffering a health crisis - she volunteers for Lanna Care Network, a group that helps older expats in strife and poor health. You and I may one day be in a position where we need the kind of assistance they provide.

I think that perhaps a word other than 'low' could have been used, but as Thai's use it to describe the poor the error, if you believe there is one, is understandable. I certainly wouldn't say her words here are condescending; I found them quite informative and learned a couple of things I didn't know.

That's a bit harsh. Nancy spends a lot of time in hospitals to assist people just like us who are possibly coming to the end of their life or suffering a health crisis - she volunteers for Lanna Care Network, a group that helps older expats in strife and poor health. You and I may one day be in a position where we need the kind of assistance they provide.

I think that perhaps a word other than 'low' could have been used, but as Thai's use it to describe the poor the error, if you believe there is one, is understandable. I certainly wouldn't say her words here are condescending; I found them quite informative and learned a couple of things I didn't know.

Her terminology, not mine. It showed a total lack of respect of people who she believes are below her.

If that is the way you are brought up, nothing is going to change your viewpoint.

It's not a case of 'perhaps' another word could have been used.
I would have thought an apology would be forthcoming. Not asking for much. Am sure she will reply.

It's a turn of phrase, a descriptor, probably not the best choice but we now all know what it means, it's not exactly relevant of the topic so let's not make a mountain out of it

Whether it is relevant or not, it is a downright despicable way to describe people, who, through no fault of their own, are less fortunate than others.

It's a turn of phrase, a descriptor, probably not the best choice but we now all know what it means, it's not exactly relevant of the topic so let's not make a mountain out of it

Whether it is relevant or not, it is a downright despicable way to describe people, who, through no fault of their own, are less fortunate than others.

Nonsense!

OK let's make a mountain out of it then!

Here's what the term means by various definitions, Macmillan says:

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/the-lowest-of-the-low

British humorous someone from the lowest social class

Synonyms and related words
People from a low social class:

the precariat, the working class, lower class...

I actually prefer the literal translation, "low" means near the bottom of something, "lowest" means at the bottom of those low things, ergo, lowest of the low means at the bottom of a pile - at the bottom of what pile though, poverty, income levels, social standing, the phrase describes measurable comparable qualities and only refers to morals integrity and personal attributes, if that's what the listener wants! Additionally, the phrase is simply a descriptor, it doesn't convey pleasure approval or any other emotion, it simply describes.

Nonsense!

Synonyms and related words
People from a low social class:

I actually prefer the literal translation, "low" means near the bottom of something, "lowest" means at the bottom of those low things, ergo, lowest of the low means at the bottom of a pile - at the bottom of what pile though, poverty, income levels, social standing, the phrase describes measurable comparable qualities and only refers to morals integrity and personal attributes, if that's what the listener wants! Additionally, the phrase is simply a descriptor, it doesn't convey pleasure approval or any other emotion, it simply describes.

Unfortunately, many foreigners think very similar. They would never admit they think they are superior, yet that is exactly what it is. The Thai people understand this and for the most part, react accordingly.

This, however, is getting far off topic - and as is normal, will only turn into an argument. To put it into perspective to the topic, "comfortable" is a relative thing. I would be willing to wager that what the people that NancyL would have been referring to and NancyL herself would have a very different perspective of what living comfortably is. I would also think that a Thai describing people would not use an English term to describe this, and that in itself creates a different perspective.

The people I assist in hospital are not in a position in order in food for themselves. Usually they are in hospital without family or friends to assist. Often they don't have their mobile phone, aren't physically capable of using the phone and/or don't have money to pay for food. If they had all these capabilities, I wouldn't have been asked to come in to assist. Anyone who has experienced what I and others in Lanna Care Net do agree we act with compassion.

And no, I don't think of the people we assist as "low" people -- I was answering a question of the rather naive, cheeky and I think young tourist who asked what happens if you can't pay a 3 million baht hospital bill. How are you treated? I meant for my answer to sound harsh. It would be how he would be regarded by some of the Thai people serving him. He would find that merely having white skin wouldn't buy him much in that situation. I see this especially with young tourists.

Fortunately, the Thai respect for the elderly is such that normally Thai hospital staff is respectful of elderly foreigners who have financial difficulties, but not always with that young tourist who was asking if he could be arrested trying to leave the country with an unpaid medical bill.

Now can we move on -- I'm not "obsessed" with hospital food and it seems that our OP (who has probably wisely moved on) has received good advice to obtain medical insurance.

The people I assist in hospital are not in a position in order in food for themselves. Usually they are in hospital without family or friends to assist. Often they don't have their mobile phone, aren't physically capable of using the phone and/or don't have money to pay for food. If they had all these capabilities, I wouldn't have been asked to come in to assist. Anyone who has experienced what I and others in Lanna Care Net do agree we act with compassion.

And no, I don't think of the people we assist as "low" people -- I was answering a question of the rather naive, cheeky and I think young tourist who asked what happens if you can't pay a 3 million baht hospital bill. How are you treated? I meant for my answer to sound harsh. It would be how he would be regarded by some of the Thai people serving him. He would find that merely having white skin wouldn't buy him much in that situation. I see this especially with young tourists.

Fortunately, the Thai respect for the elderly is such that normally Thai hospital staff is respectful of elderly foreigners who have financial difficulties, but not always with that young tourist who was asking if he could be arrested trying to leave the country with an unpaid medical bill.

Now can we move on -- I'm not "obsessed" with hospital food and it seems that our OP (who has probably wisely moved on) has received good advice to obtain medical insurance.

That's good to hear, now he might not end up being regarded the same as a "lowest of the low Thai person", we wouldn't want that.

The whole hi-so, lo-so argument is uninteresting and a touch petty. It is how Thailand works even if it comes across as somewhat bigoted in English thanks to Western cultural mores.

However, the key take away is this - you should have health insurance if you make Thailand your home. The older you are, the more this will cost. The fatter you are, the more this will cost. The less healthy you are, the more this will cost. So can you live on 65K Baht a month? Probably... unless you're 78, a lifelong smoker with emphysema and weigh 500 lbs. In that case you may find you can't afford the health insurance (though if you've made it that far in that condition - you should still be celebrating).

"unless you're 78, a lifelong smoker with emphysema and weigh 500 lbs."

Inane.

If you are none of the above - just 60-65 or over - you can find insurance companies that will accept your premiums but what they offer in return is usually not worth having.

Inane.

If you are none of the above - just 60-65 or over - you can find insurance companies that will accept your premiums but what they offer in return is usually not worth having.

Exactly, I've just been through this process and despite a medical that shows I'm in pretty good shape, one company excluded almost everything apart from dandruff and still wanted a co-share of 300k and an annual premium of 65k. Having self insured successfully for the past eleven years, I've decided to continue and to lock away a few million for this express purpose, it helps that I'm not against being a fee paying patient at places such as Suan Dok.

Inane.

Exactly, I've just been through this process and despite a medical that shows I'm in pretty good shape, one company excluded almost everything apart from dandruff and still wanted a co-share of 300k and an annual premium of 65k. Having self insured successfully for the past eleven years, I've decided to continue and to lock away a few million for this express purpose, it helps that I'm not against being a fee paying patient at places such as Suan Dok.

I agree with chiang mai and also had a very recent experience. The exclusions they wanted would have pretty much made it worthless to me. I think I asked for 1 million co-share - it may have been 3 million co-share. This was before I knew about the condition which I recently spent time in Suan Dok for.

And still getting back to the OP's original question... I believe it is possible to live comfortably on 65,000 thb.... Emergencies ANYWHERE can be more than people plan for and more than insurance companies will pay. It is whether the OP wants to either have insurance, or take a chance it won't be needed.

Edited by hml367

Nonsense!

Synonyms and related words People from a low social class:

You can illustrate all the definitions you want, in the context in which it was used, there was no humour intended. It was a clear definition, in bad taste, of unfortunate, financially deprived Thai people.

Oh for goodness sake!!! Why fill up the post with all this nonsense - let's stick to useful information! Have some intelligence - it wasn't meant in any other way other than to show the worst case scenario, cost wise! Get a bloody life!

When I have stayed in hospital wards, I have rarely seen, if at all, any Thai inpatient without at least one family or friend to assist them during their stay there. After all, families are supposedly renowned for taking care of their own.

Excellent point and something the OP should think about if he's retiring over here alone. The hospitals expect that every patient is going to have a family member or close friend tending to them. Even the private hospitals. This is why there are big couches in the private hospital rooms -- for the family members to sleep overnight.

If someone is living here alone, sometimes it can be better for them to go into a ward room at Suan Dok rather than a private hospital room if they don't have anyone to stay with them in that private hospital room. The private hospitals expect that you'll have a family member to help you with toileting, bathing, feeding. Usually, they don't want a patient to remain alone in a private room the first night after surgery, in case the patient tries to get out of bed without assistance. Patients staying alone in a private room can be asked to pay extra to hire a private-duty nursing assistant to stay with them in the room.

When I have stayed in hospital wards, I have rarely seen, if at all, any Thai inpatient without at least one family or friend to assist them during their stay there. After all, families are supposedly renowned for taking care of their own.

Excellent point and something the OP should think about if he's retiring over here alone. The hospitals expect that every patient is going to have a family member or close friend tending to them. Even the private hospitals. This is why there are big couches in the private hospital rooms -- for the family members to sleep overnight.

If someone is living here alone, sometimes it can be better for them to go into a ward room at Suan Dok rather than a private hospital room if they don't have anyone to stay with them in that private hospital room. The private hospitals expect that you'll have a family member to help you with toileting, bathing, feeding. Usually, they don't want a patient to remain alone in a private room the first night after surgery, in case the patient tries to get out of bed without assistance. Patients staying alone in a private room can be asked to pay extra to hire a private-duty nursing assistant to stay with them in the room.

I agree with NancyL completely on that.

I would also add, in my recent experience I was told for 2 months and right up until checking in at Suan Dok, there were no private rooms available.. As a matter of fact, when I was trying to check-in on the appointed day, and after already seeing the doctor, I was told there were NO rooms available - as in "no beds" - private multiple and ward. I have no idea what would have happened if that had actually become reality. Fortunately for me, as we were leaving the check in window, the lady got off the phone and said a room just became available.... Confusing to me!

I have a feeling a private hospital would be different, but one has to make these considerations if they are going to think about these things.

By the way, I had everything including 1 more day in the hospital than expected for approximately one third the price of Chiang Mai Ram.

Edited by hml367

hml367 is correct -- I've never seen a private room at Suan Dok, although I've been told they exist. I think there is an unspoken policy that the private rooms are held for Thai people who are gov't employees, etc.

Also, it is quite common that the medical wards are full and it can be difficult to schedule an elective procedure with any certainty. It's quite common to see patient beds in the halls in these wards.

You'll grow bored with eating street food all the time and learn about some of the gross shortcuts used to make it. What's in those fishballs and "broth"? You don't want to know.

indeed. we never touch street food........Borax, Formalin, dangerous pesticides, re-used cooking oil washed in bleach.......etc., etc.....not worth the risk.

Excuse me, where did you get these BS from?

Are you from the US?

If yes, how about GMO soybeans and corn, chlorine washed chicken, tenderised meat, food additives, fake meat. The list could go on.

If you have some common sense you can choose your vendor for street food.

If you can speak a little Thai, you can tell him please less oil, sugar, MSG.

I'm living here since 2,5 years and never got food poisoning from street food.

Also the occasions I ate western food I can count on one hand simply because it's overpriced and not tasty.

If I want to eat I cook by myself.

BTW, the worst food poisoning I got in a 4 star hotel in Germany from frozen strawberries from China. I was infected with noro virus and spent two days in hospital.

Enough said.

this is not BS. this is factual from the Thailand news i watch every day. i've seen the re-used cooking oils delivered to vendors in large plastic sacks often. i've seen the government in Thai markets doing chemical checks for Formalin. we don't choose our vendors as we never eat street food and never eat palm oil, MSG...etc.. the last time the wife ate street food was when she was 11 years old. i'll eat the way i want and you do as you please. O.K.? enough said.

You'll grow bored with eating street food all the time and learn about some of the gross shortcuts used to make it. What's in those fishballs and "broth"? You don't want to know.

indeed. we never touch street food........Borax, Formalin, dangerous pesticides, re-used cooking oil washed in bleach.......etc., etc.....not worth the risk.

Excuse me, where did you get these BS from?

Are you from the US?

If yes, how about GMO soybeans and corn, chlorine washed chicken, tenderised meat, food additives, fake meat. The list could go on.

If you have some common sense you can choose your vendor for street food.

If you can speak a little Thai, you can tell him please less oil, sugar, MSG.

I'm living here since 2,5 years and never got food poisoning from street food.

Also the occasions I ate western food I can count on one hand simply because it's overpriced and not tasty.

If I want to eat I cook by myself.

BTW, the worst food poisoning I got in a 4 star hotel in Germany from frozen strawberries from China. I was infected with noro virus and spent two days in hospital.

Enough said.

this is not BS. this is factual from the Thailand news i watch every day. i've seen the re-used cooking oils delivered to vendors in large plastic sacks often. i've seen the government in Thai markets doing chemical checks for Formalin. we don't choose our vendors as we never eat street food and never eat palm oil, MSG...etc.. the last time the wife ate street food was when she was 11 years old. i'll eat the way i want and you do as you please. O.K.? enough said.

No further comments on this...

hml367 is correct -- I've never seen a private room at Suan Dok, although I've been told they exist. I think there is an unspoken policy that the private rooms are held for Thai people who are gov't employees, etc.

Also, it is quite common that the medical wards are full and it can be difficult to schedule an elective procedure with any certainty. It's quite common to see patient beds in the halls in these wards.

Main building 16th floor are all private rooms, used for insurance cases where the patient pays the additional 1k baht per night.

Hi. Just butting in on the conversation. With regards to health insurance... Any advice on which one anyone would recommend?

My advice to the OP and you....

If you have any sizeable assets (OP has a house) some easily accessible and liquid do NOT get health insurance for the same reason it need not exist in the American so called healthcare system.

Having a "health nestegg" will (9 times out of 10) enable YOU to shop around for treatment for individual problems.....the savings can be vey large.......and also to not be given unnecessary medications at top price who (usually) you can pick the necessaries and buy them a third of the price at a pharmacy.

You will be avoiding insurance company wastage, profit, and the fraud of those who get insurance without disclosing previous problems.

You can bet an insured person will accept the whole bag of goodies from the doctor and they will come out of the insurance kitty you pay into.

For big ticket items you can ( most often) choose to pay from yr nestegg or fly home and get on Medicare or whatever.

In the event of urgent expensive treatment have part of your nest egg available for fast access.

This is all a statistical gamble of course but I follow the above strategy (though British and may not be able to get home country treatment "free" now) and believe it gives me the best cost/benefit ratio. I once paid 200k for a serious operation in the best hospital in Thailand, and consider lifetime access to several million (which may not be needed and can largely be in the form of investment like your house) as advisable and would normally shop for best prices/care but that one was urgent.

To the OP

1. ALWAYS be clear with a woman in your first years here that each day is at it comes and no commitments. There are a lot of ropes to learn.

2. Cars are a pretty expensive item if they can be avoided (especially two!)

Good luck

Hi. Just butting in on the conversation. With regards to health insurance... Any advice on which one anyone would recommend?

My advice to the OP and you....

If you have any sizeable assets (OP has a house) some easily accessible and liquid do NOT get health insurance for the same reason it need not exist in the American so called healthcare system.

Having a "health nestegg" will (9 times out of 10) enable YOU to shop around for treatment for individual problems.....the savings can be vey large.......and also to not be given unnecessary medications at top price who (usually) you can pick the necessaries and buy them a third of the price at a pharmacy.

You will be avoiding insurance company wastage, profit, and the fraud of those who get insurance without disclosing previous problems.

You can bet an insured person will accept the whole bag of goodies from the doctor and they will come out of the insurance kitty you pay into.

For big ticket items you can ( most often) choose to pay from yr nestegg or fly home and get on Medicare or whatever.

In the event of urgent expensive treatment have part of your nest egg available for fast access.

This is all a statistical gamble of course but I follow the above strategy (though British and may not be able to get home country treatment "free" now) and believe it gives me the best cost/benefit ratio. I once paid 200k for a serious operation in the best hospital in Thailand, and consider lifetime access to several million (which may not be needed and can largely be in the form of investment like your house) as advisable and would normally shop for best prices/care but that one was urgent.

To the OP

1. ALWAYS be clear with a woman in your first years here that each day is at it comes and no commitments. There are a lot of ropes to learn.

2. Cars are a pretty expensive item if they can be avoided (especially two!)

Good luck

Cheeryble, you're definitely playing the odds, and could come up short with this strategy.

Most expats I know have health insurance with a high deductible, so they're pretty good consumers when it comes to shopping around and not accepting meds from the hospital pharmacy.

A 200,000 baht bill for surgery at a top-notch hospital in Thailand was cheap. A hip replacement or heart bypass would be at least twice that amount and those are common surgeries for older people and ones that often have to be done on an emergency basis.

If someone is planning to have a "health nest egg" rather than insurance, then it should be at least four or five million baht and much more readily accessible than being tied up in a house, which will take time to liquidate.

Good advice about women and cars. Thai women often have a way of coming up with other ideas of how to "invest" someone's "health nest egg".

Cheeryble, you're definitely playing the odds, and could come up short with this strategy.

Most expats I know have health insurance with a high deductible, so they're pretty good consumers when it comes to shopping around and not accepting meds from the hospital pharmacy.

A 200,000 baht bill for surgery at a top-notch hospital in Thailand was cheap. A hip replacement or heart bypass would be at least twice that amount and those are common surgeries for older people and ones that often have to be done on an emergency basis.

If someone is planning to have a "health nest egg" rather than insurance, then it should be at least four or five million baht and much more readily accessible than being tied up in a house, which will take time to liquidate.

Good advice about women and cars. Thai women often have a way of coming up with other ideas of how to "invest" someone's "health nest egg".

Hi Nancy

Point taken about deductibles.

Yes I'm aware 200k is only a medium ticket item and agree that several million are necessary for the nestegg (I became very pally with the doctor......the estimated realcost at you-know-where was 300k :-))

Also agree a house alone is not liquid enough but assets could certainly be invested to fit purpose.

As to the OP's house.....I'd hold for now, good to have assets abroad from Thailand, but am well experienced in renting out and have learned that unless you have an excellent agent/relative to take care of things long distance renting is best avoided. Good to do and good diversification of currencies, but long term best done only under certain circumstances. If you were travelling back annually anyway for instance that would help you keep an eye on things.

Agree I'm playing the odds but my odds of getting to the finishing post and being able to look after myself health wise are I think good, and I prefer them to the cost that old age insurance premiums would bring. Any case at 67 I'm too old to start insuring probably......I first decided to self insure age about 55yo and before the British govt decided to cast us expats out from the NHS which was part of my equation. But I don't lose sleep over it

If anything does concern me it's that as the years and decades go by Thai health costs will start to normalise with those globally, in fact I have thought hard how to hedge against this by investment such as in the health sector. Sadly this sector's shares, such as the Ram Group, has risen dramatically in recent years, and it would be painful. More damned annoying is that I thought of it before the rise as my wife works in the Ram but didn't pull the trigger.

Any ideas welcome!

Still, as a friend once said to me: No such thing as absolute security.

Edited by cheeryble

If speaking of "odds".... you must remember that insurance companies do nothing but play the odds... They have actuaries to make sure the odds are in their favor in relation to who/what to cover, premiums against payouts.

It is still a person's responsibility to decide if they want to play the odds.