Thai banks block money

Take care all of you if you wish to withdraw your money from outside of Thailand... My husband who is Thai faced incredible difficulties to withdraw his money with his visa debit card... He called Kasikorn and they pretended to him he had to apply for withdrawal from outside if Thailand, what a bullshit... 3 hours he waits for his card to be able to withdraw... Don't put your money in this country...

It's quite common now for banks to require you to enable your card to be used overseas. It's an anti-fraud measure. As Crossy says just check and make sure before you go.

It's not limited to Thailand either. It's the same for my bank in SIngapore, although I can change the setting online rather than having to ring a call centre.

Can one purchase Traveler's checks in Thailand that you can cash overseas? Would a check drawn on a Thai bank be accepted? I am sure there could be quite a wait for funds to clear, but would the Thai bank honor the check? I also know that some US based banks don't accept non USA bank checks. I use Etrade bank for example and they do not take foreign checks

I called Kbank and told them to enable international withdraws on my last trip to Myanmar. I didn't have any problems taking money out at the ATMs there.

You just have to call ahead and inform the country and dates you want to take money out.

I have been using my Bangkok Bank ATM to make cash withdrawls when I am out of the country, for years now. I just called them up before my first trip and spoke to customer service. No problems at all.

On the other hand all this new "fraud protection" security has become a major pain in the lower regions. Instead of ensuring customers have a pleasureful and painless trip abroad, they are now the cause of grief when they start blocking cards, even when you first informed them of the foreign travel. Chase Bank have shut down my credit card and will not issue a replacement until I call them from my home number in the USA. This despite the fact I had informed them that I am in Thailand. And they will not be persuaded otherwise. A**holes.

The Thai Baht is not a freely tradeable currency and never has been.

but whenever i am abroad the ATMs trade/hand out freely any local currency when i use my Siam Commercial or Kasikorn debit card.

Edited by Naam

OK, try sending 1,000,000 Bt from your Thai account to another country.

What about the restriction that you can only send out as much money (with all the hassle) as you brought in.

There are no such restrictions with currencies like the US$, sterling, Euro etc. etc.

What I should have said was that it is not a freely convertible currency.

What about the restriction that you can only send out as much money (with all the hassle) as you brought in.

There are no such restrictions with currencies like the US$, sterling, Euro etc. etc.

Your point about only being able to send out as much as you brought in isn't accurate either.

In general you just need documentation to support where the money came from. I've sent earnings from here - that's money never brought in but earned here. If you buy a condo then sell it for a profit, you can send out more than you brought in, again you just need the right supporting docs. All sorts of other examples too.....

Generally it's not that difficult these days if you keep your paperwork.

The Thai Baht is not a freely tradeable currency and never has been.

but whenever i am abroad the ATMs trade/hand out freely any local currency when i use my Siam Commercial or Kasikorn debit card.

Same same - without pre-advising the bank.

Maybe Naam and I are just V.I.P. customers

Did that last year with Kasikorn.

I said I thought it would be less easy. Lady said "It is your money, you can transfer every day if you wish".

I called Kbank and told them to enable international withdraws on my last trip to Myanmar. I didn't have any problems taking money out at the ATMs there.

You just have to call ahead and inform the country and dates you want to take money out.i

i have never "called ahead and informed..." neither with Siam Commercial nor with Kasikorn using ATMs in Asia, Europe and South America.

It's quite common now for banks to require you to enable your card to be used overseas. It's an anti-fraud measure. As Crossy says just check and make sure before you go.

It's not limited to Thailand either. It's the same for my bank in SIngapore, although I can change the setting online rather than having to ring a call centre.

I don't believe its an anti fraud measure. Its a we want to keep track of you and know what your doing measure. Last night I pulled a large sum through Forex my darn money and they had the gall to ask me what the money was for. Its getting ridiculous.

It was unable for international withdrawal last year... What about to be affiliated to visa if you can't serve your customers to ATMs with your card and your pin code, ridiculous...

My US based credit cards expect me to notify them when I'm going to be using them outside the US. I can do it online, but each notification is only good for some maximum ... 3 months? 6 months not sure. I don't use the cards often and when I notify them I usually say I'll be here for 3 months. I know it wouldn't be good for over a year.

Sounds like Kasikorn is following standard procedures. As someone else said, it's for security ... yours and theirs and a reasonable thing to do.

It was unable for international withdrawal last year... What about to be affiliated to visa if you can't serve your customers to ATMs with your card and your pin code, ridiculous...

My US based credit cards expect me to notify them when I'm going to be using them outside the US. I can do it online, but each notification is only good for some maximum ... 3 months? 6 months not sure. I don't use the cards often and when I notify them I usually say I'll be here for 3 months. I know it wouldn't be good for over a year.

Sounds like Kasikorn is following standard procedures. As someone else said, it's for security ... yours and theirs and a reasonable thing to do.

My credit card company was the same, they wanted me to call them every three months to update the fact that I would still be overseas, wrote them and asked Barclays how a Miles and More Master card, designed for travellers would have such an inconvenient system for travel notification

So tired of hearing that it is for my protection, I just use another card and M&M doesn't get the merchants fees for the 8 months I am here