best place for a medical checkup in Chiang Mai

krey

Over 40 now and have never had a medical checkup. Overall I am pretty healthy I think but do have some digestions issues at times and sleep problems

anyway I am looking to get a medical checkup to go over everything for a average guy of early 40 something

read a few posts that Dr. Nisachon Morgan M.D. was good but they were several years old

Suggestions on where to go? I know the BKK hospitals have their packages but everyone seems to say they are quite expensive

Chiang Mai Ram Hospital? or other suggestions

I am not looking for the most expensive or the cheapest, just a good one that people can suggest and they have used in the past

any info would be great

thanks

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waste of money.

If you feel OK why worry.

Lost count of the number of people I've seen die because they did no preventative health checks.

For the sake of a couple of quick and inexpensive tests?

You're a mug not to.

Probably saved my life ,had dangerously high blood pressure, Best 5000 ever spent .

Waste of money.

While it's true that annual checkups for symptomless patients have fallen out of favour with most doctors, in this case the OP has digestive and sleep issues, so a checkup would be a good idea I think...even though it's perfectly normal to have digestive and sleep issues if you live in Thailand!

Edited by searcher22

Waste of money.

While it's true that annual checkups for symptomless patients have fallen out of favour with most doctors, in this case the OP has digestive and sleep issues, so a checkup would be a good idea I think.

With those symptoms, check up is definately a good idea. A very thorough check up. A couple of years ago a friend of mine had those symptoms. She went to doctors who viewed her situation as light weight although it persisted for 4-5 months. Finally she got a doctor to take a more serious look and do a few thousand Baht worth of testing, found the stomache cancer. Earlier would have been much better. Gone at age 52.

Like you I had never been for a decade or two & thought I would give it a go.

Mainly wanted to know cholesterol levels etc

I heard good things about Rajavej packages & went there.

Price was 2600 baht no appointment needed.

Just fast the night before as you will have a full blood workup done

Chest Xrays, EKG...I forget what else but seemed quite complete.

Go early get it all done in an hour or less...Come back after lunch & a doctor goes over all

your results with you & gives you a book & CD with X-rays etc.

Nice package I thought for the price & better than the USA does IMHO (albeit I am not one to use doctors often) wink.png

I like Chiang Mai Ram for full checkups. A doctor will show you a list of tests available, explain them, and make suggestions based on your age and 'apparent' condition, and ask you if there are specific tests you might elect to have done. If you have any sort of medical background or knowledge, this gives you the opportunity to 'cherry pick' exactly which tests you want, and avoid unwanted ones. This hospital is a bit more expensive than others, so you may pay twenty bucks more, but the service is excellent, the testing professionally done, and the consult afterwards with the doctor will give you a clear understanding of the results. Here too, a booklet will be given to you with all your test results, x-ray, EKG graph, etc.

A full checkup isn't something that I'd do every year, but I don't like to go more than five years without one. If you've NEVER had one at all, now is a very good time to get it done.

Probably saved my life ,had dangerously high blood pressure, Best 5000 ever spent .

Could have had your own for 350bht.

http://www.lazada.co.th/digital-lcd-wrist-blood-pressure-monitor-heart-beat-rate-pulse-meter-measure-1594468.html

Not to mention, health checks can do more harm than good ......

http://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2014/jan/03/patients-truth-health-screening-harm-good

@Sappersrest ....

'This leads to the "popularity paradox" where a bad screening test creates many false positives, and much unnecessary treatment, but people end up feeling that they "owe their life" to screening when, in reality, they have been subjected to unnecessary treatments and the resultant risks.'

I like the example for the bowel cancer screening test.

0.3% of the population has it, 50% of those can be picked up in the test, 3% false positive results, so .... In 10,000 tests

15 people will be correctly tested as having bowel cancer

15 will be incorrectly tested as not having bowel cancer, when they do.

300 people will be falsely diagnosed as having bowel cancer.

So they will be wanting to cut open 300 people with nothing at all wrong.

And in Thailand they will be keen to cut ........ free money from foreigner!

That's completely insane!

Edited by MaeJoMTB

I have used the Loi Kroh Clinic for a full health check and am happy with it

Does Blood, Xray and ERG ON SIte

Reasonable prices too

Loikroh Clinic
General family GP, Dr. Tawachai at the Loi Kroh Clinic, opposite Wat Loi Kroh.Cnr Soi 3
62/2 Loikroh Road, T Changklan, A Muang, Chiang Mai 50100. Tel: 053 271571, fax: 053 208717.
Open Mon - Fri, 8am - 1pm, 4:30 - 8:30pm / Sat 8am - 1pm / Sun 4:30 - 8:30pm.

Waste of money.

Tell that to Lemmy. Diagnosed with cancer, died 2 days later..... sad.png

You mostly get diagnosed from cancer if you already have it. Then there is hardly a chance.

So, why you wanna check on cancer anyways. When you check positive....see above.

Siriphat Hospital also does a full medical package, cost approx. 7500B

Are you for real, 7500 B?? Check the post above yours.

Loi Kroh docter has his own little hospital when it comes to check ups.

Even Teppanya has to pass some blood tests to Ram 1, but Loi Kroh can do themselves.

Why should you do the whole range check. Start with blood pressure, cholesterol and sugar. Can do an HIV on the waytongue.png Not offending anyone, just joking.

Overall I would give Ratchaveij a 9 out of 10.

Would you trust your health to 7 quids worth of chinese rubbish? and don't believe anything you read in the Guardian it is only good for wrapping chips in.

I now get my blood pressure checked for free by a good doctor at our clinic every month.

What a truly brilliant mind are you to set away 6000 years of Chinese medical science as rubbish?

Poor guy your world must be so small...

Would you trust your health to 7 quids worth of chinese rubbish? and don't believe anything you read in the Guardian it is only good for wrapping chips in.

I now get my blood pressure checked for free by a good doctor at our clinic every month.

What a truly brilliant mind are you to set away 6000 years of Chinese medical science as rubbish?

His world is small I guess. 7 quids...but kee niao gets his blood pressure test for free. Since when do docters work for free?

Waste of money.

You mostly get diagnosed from cancer if you already have it. Then there is hardly a chance.

So, why you wanna check on cancer anyways. When you check positive....see above.

You mostly get diagnosed with cancer if you are symptomatic.

By which time the damage may already have been done (see above).

Waste of money.

You mostly get diagnosed with cancer if you are symptomatic.

By which time the damage may already have been done (see above).

Symptomatic? When is the time you are symptomatic? If you test at that particular time you are symptomatic? That doesn't work for the majority. You cannot go and check every other month to see if you are symptomatic. Because cancer doesn't hurt in the beginning, you don't even know you might have it untill it is to late.

300 people will be falsely diagnosed as having bowel cancer.

So they will be wanting to cut open 300 people with nothing at all wrong.

The biggest single problem with health education for males is this kind of attitude and ignorance. You really should do a bit of reading and stop being so paranoid.

The faecal occult blood test simply checks for blood in the stools.

If you are shitting large amounts of blood, then there is probably something wrong with you, no?

However, a small amount of blood does not mean they "cut you open". (And by the way, no blood does not mean you are cancer free).

The normal procedure would be a colonoscopy, which is routine, takes 1-2 hours and is done under sedation, not anaesthetic.

The worst part about it is drinking the stuff that cleans you out the night before. It's worse than Chang. biggrin.png

During the colonoscopy they check the digestive tract thoroughly for polyps and can also do (painless) biopsies of anything suspect; they can even remove the quite common polyps that can evolve into cancer of the bowel.

Whatever impression you've had of this type of health care has probably scared you off, but nowadays it is quite normal and, as the saying goes, prevention is better than cure.

Not every cancerous polyp bleeds, so under my doctors advice I will have a colonoscopy every five years (having had the first one last year).

I don't actually want to die needlessly for the sake of routine health checks; I just think that would be extremely stupid.

I'm not sure if you need to worry about it at 40, it's rare at that age, but talking to your doctor about your lifestyle will give him the information he needs to advise you.

If you're over 50 and haven't had a colonoscopy, then you really should think about it, especially if there is any history of cancer in the family.

Edited by Chicog

Symptomatic? When is the time you are symptomatic? If you test at that particular time you are symptomatic? That doesn't work for the majority. You cannot go and check every other month to see if you are symptomatic. Because cancer doesn't hurt in the beginning, you don't even know you might have it untill it is to late.

Example of symptomatic: Your balls hurt and you find a large lump.

Your stomach hurts chronically and you put it down to indigestion.

You find a large lump on your breast.

All of these can be precluded with simple health checks.

No-one said you had to have checks every other month, where did you get that idea?

How often do you check your testicles for abnormalities?

Edited by Chicog

Wouldn't you agree that a colon scopy is not needed in the first place?

Blood tests reveil alot at the beginning and as another proof you would want a colon scopy.

Sorry, but I tend to think that colon scopy is an obsession for many people, not necessarily Chicog.

Wouldn't you agree that a colon scopy is not needed in the first place?

Blood tests reveil alot at the beginning and as another proof you would want a colon scopy.

Sorry, but I tend to think that colon scopy is an obsession for many people, not necessarily Chicog.

As I said, a colonoscopy in the event of a positive FOB test is the logical next step (i.e. have a look where the blood is coming from).

Otherwise it is a preventitive measure for when you are in a group of increased risk, which is something about which a qualified doctor will be able to tell you.

I'm not advocating everyone running for a colonoscopy. Apologies if it appeared that way.

I'm simply saying there are circumstances where it is appropriate, and I've tried to describe them.

I was referring to the 350 baht blood pressure monitor not Chinese medical practices that are still practiced today ,when we in the west were living in caves all those years ago.

I for one would certainly not rubbish Chinese medicine, we still have a lot to learn from them ..