Anyone know how to make sausage mince?

Kenny202

Don't like the beef here. Had a few goes at making sausage mince but texture not right. Doesn't feel like it's bound together properly. I assume it's pork? Is there a binding agent or something I can use? Something preferably easilly avail here

I quite often use breadcrumbs which can be bought at BigC, Makro etc and depending on how many kg I am making I generally throw in an egg or two, preferably without the shell.

I also use an electric mincer and sausage stuffer (about a 28 mm nozzle).

I roughly chop the meat first, then run it through a coarse grinder blade and then a medium one.

The biggest problem I have had is finding decent sausage skins. Makro do frozen salted ones but I had to defrost them all and then pick an end to unravel. I ended up buying chopsticks and cut them in half then rolled the skins onto that. I then wrapped them in clingfilm and refroze them in a ziplock bag of 3 at a time.

There are literally dozens of websites out there telling you what you need, how to make different types. On Ebay you can find the mixes for certain types of sausage assuming that you cannot get the ingredients where you live.

The good thing about making sausages is that if the skins keep bursting the mince can also be used for burgers, so no waste.

Just jump in and try. If you need some help send me a PM.

Good eating.

I'm curious about your electric sausage mixer, where did you get it?

I use a food processor does a surprisingly good job. Cut the meat in cubes and put on a tray in the freezer for about 30 mins. Chops surprisingly evenly. Course or fine just vary the time you chop

It is a George Foreman GFMG 700 that I bought in New Zealand about 7 years ago.

It works quite well but the feeder tray tends ti ride up a bit if I stuff too much meat at a time down the funnel and the meat stuffer was a pretty plastic item that lasted about 6 months before it got chewed up by the screw that forces the meat through the slicer and mincer blades.

I stole a pok pok stick from my wife's papaya kit and tailored it to fit.

You can find them online at Ebay.

post-5614-0-81164300-1453441174_thumb.jp

Edited by billd766

It works quite well but the feeder tray tends ti ride up a bit if I stuff too much meat at a time down the funnel and the meat stuffer was a pretty plastic item that lasted about 6 months before it got chewed up by the screw that forces the meat through the slicer and mincer blades.

attachicon.gifGeorge Foreman GFMG 700 meat grinder resized.jpg

You sure your using sausage casings and not condoms,that box of durex there next to the blender seems a little suspect ?

You sure your using sausage casings and not condoms,that box of durex there next to the blender seems a little suspect ?

Nah. I used to use a lot of Thai condoms when I had an ingrowing toenail ripped out at the hospital. They were just the right size to cover the dressings when I went for a shower.

Meanwhile skilfully getting back on topic, I use these skins now.

post-5614-0-17600600-1453534610_thumb.jp

Edited by billd766

Sage-
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage (or more)
1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (or more)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 teaspoon coriander
Optional: 1/4 teaspoon msg

Hot-
16 ounces ground pork
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more)
1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
1/4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more)
1/4 teaspoon coriander
Optional: 1/4 teaspoon msg

Maple-
16 ounces ground pork
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon coriander
Optional: 1/2 teaspoon msg

Combine all ingredients for the flavor of your choice in a medium bowl. Form the sausage into patties and cook in a skillet over medium heat until brown

Funny. I made a burger last week. Given up on the horrible beef here. Broke open a couple of pork sausages and made the burgers from that. Really nice. So tonight I decided I'd make some sausage mince myself. Had some minced pork in the freezer and used practically your same recipe. We're really good. Probably use a bit more fat in the mince next time. I added about 15% bread crumbs too. Really bound the mince together nicely. I've always used mixed herbs before but too strong. Sage and Thyme are lovely subtle herbs. I used dried sage & thyme but ordered some seeds from the US tonight. Where do u get Ur burger buns? I usually use the Makro burger buns but they're not 100%

Edited by Kenny202

Breadcrumbs would be your best bet though a friend of mine uses stale bread rolls which he first soaks in condensed milk.

What you really want is something to stabilize the mixture such as a jelly. Boiling down lots of bones and adding this to the mixture will help but what you really want is gellan gum.

Gellan gum is a water-soluble anionic polysaccharide produced by the bacterium Sphingomonas elodea (formerly Pseudomonas elodea). The gellan-producing bacterium was discovered and isolated by the former Kelco Division of Merck & Company, Inc. in 1978 from the lily plant tissue from a natural pond in Pennsylvania, USA. It was initially identified as a substitute gelling agent at significantly lower use level to replace agar in solid culture media for the growth of various microorganisms [1] Its initial commercial product with the trademark as "GELRITE" gellan gum, was subsequently identified as a suitable agar substitute as gelling agent in various clinical bacteriological media

[...]

Gellan gum, also branded by few suppliers as GELRITE, Nanogel-TC,"Gelrich" Grovgel, AppliedGel or Phytagel, is initially used as a gelling agent, alternative to agar, in microbiological culture. It is able to withstand 120°C heat. It was identified to be an especially useful gelling agent in culturing thermophilic microorganisms.[3] One needs only approximately half the amount of gellan gum as agar to reach an equivalent gel strength, though the exact texture and quality depends on the concentration of the divalent cations present. Gellan gum is also used as gelling agent in plant cell culture on Petri dishes, as it provides a very clear gel, facilitating light microscopical analyses of the cells and tissues. Although advertised as being inert, experiments with the moss Physcomitrella patens have shown that choice of the gelling agent - agar or Gelrite - does influence phytohormone sensitivity of the plant cell culture

[...]

As a food additive, gellan gum was first approved for food use in Japan (1988). Gellan gum has subsequently been approved for food, non-food, cosmetic and pharmaceutical uses by many other countries such as US, Canada, China, Korea and the European Union etc. It is widely used as a thickener, emulsifier, and stabilizer. It has E number E418. It was an integral part of the now defunct Orbitz soft drink. It is used as the gelling agent, as an alternative to gelatin, in the manufacture of vegan varieties of "gum" candies.

It is used in soy milks to keep the soy protein suspended in the milk.[5] Gellan gum is listed as an ingredient in Soylent 2.0.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gellan_gum

It's not cheap at around 3000 Baht for 500g but it does go a long way. One of the reasons it is so expensive is that it is 99.999% manufactured in the U.S. and is it also on their watch list because it can be used to manufacture biological weapons. I had mine shipped to the UK (being British) and carried it by hand back home to Thailand because they would not ship here and even then I was limited to 1000g.

What is really funny is that I don't even use it as a stabilizer. I'll get myself a nice big tiger prawn and set it in a block of gellan after a few hours in a marinade. I can steam that block and it will not disintegrate much before the internal temp. has long passed boiling point. Sharp knife to cut it open and you have the best shrimp ever. Hmmm.... best of this type of cooking, BBQ shrimp are always going to be better I think.

[edit] Forgot the pictures.

post-145163-0-70661900-1454941307_thumb.

post-145163-0-70661900-1454941307_thumb.

post-145163-0-57401200-1454941376_thumb.

Edited by notmyself

I make my own sausage patties from minced pork ( high fat content prefered ) and use cornflower as a binding agent. Works very well but you need to make a big batch to make it worth the effort involved. In with the minced pork I put 2 cloves of garlic , black pepper , mixed herb , a bit of honey , salt , ......in fact anything that takes my fancy. Make 20 at a time and pop them in the freezer ready to make a quick breakfast. Marinate the mix in the fridge overnight then cook the whole batch ready for freezing.

I make my own sausage patties from minced pork ( high fat content prefered ) and use cornflower as a binding agent. Works very well but you need to make a big batch to make it worth the effort involved. In with the minced pork I put 2 cloves of garlic , black pepper , mixed herb , a bit of honey , salt , ......in fact anything that takes my fancy. Make 20 at a time and pop them in the freezer ready to make a quick breakfast. Marinate the mix in the fridge overnight then cook the whole batch ready for freezing.

Yes, that is how I started. So easy to grab a patty from the freezer and fry it.

I use a mixture of pork belly and pork shoulder. I mince it myself and add sage or whatever herb you fancy. I bought a lot of mace in England and I think that gives the finishing touch.

Now I order casings from Foodland and stuff them.

Machinery: Kitchen Aid food mixer with mincer attachment. The add a sausage "stuffer" attachment which a friend brought over from USA.

you can buy mincer/stuffer now at Lazada. Much more cheaper as 2-3 years ago. Now it's the half price from before.

1.850,- THB in the moment: http://www.lazada.co.th/meat-grinder-lv880a-black-2772222.html

I never used binding agents. I use 100ml milk and 1 egg on 1kg meat (eating on same or next day) or 100ml per kg ice cold sodawater.

Edited by snowgard

I don't understand why anyone would add bread crumbs to sausage unless you like a dry mealy mess.

If you were going to emulsify it to make a tight suasage like liverwurst or brats, you just need to add ice cold water and a medium fat content.

None of the above recipes have any specifics about fat content. Just using generic ground pork will leave you with different results every time. Being specific on fat content will give you a quality and consistent product.

Again any recipe that uses measuring spoons instead of metric weight for spices will have a huge variation on quality and flavor.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage%20recipes.htm

This guys recipes are spot on. Follow his tips and techniques will also improve the quality of your product.

Some of those small grinders shown actually aren't very good as they tend to heat up the meat in the process as they aren't powerful enough to push out the meat. A hand crank will give a better quality or buy a heavy duty grinder. The other trick would be to keep your meat in the freezer before grinding don't freeze it but get it very cold and if you do a double grind, then put it back in the freezer between grinds.

I don't understand why anyone would add bread crumbs to sausage unless you like a dry mealy mess.

If you were going to emulsify it to make a tight suasage like liverwurst or brats, you just need to add ice cold water and a medium fat content.

None of the above recipes have any specifics about fat content. Just using generic ground pork will leave you with different results every time. Being specific on fat content will give you a quality and consistent product.

Again any recipe that uses measuring spoons instead of metric weight for spices will have a huge variation on quality and flavor.

This guys recipes are spot on. Follow his tips and techniques will also improve the quality of your product.

Some of those small grinders shown actually aren't very good as they tend to heat up the meat in the process as they aren't powerful enough to push out the meat. A hand crank will give a better quality or buy a heavy duty grinder. The other trick would be to keep your meat in the freezer before grinding don't freeze it but get it very cold and if you do a double grind, then put it back in the freezer between grinds.

You state you don't understand why people would add bread crumbs then recommend a site with recipes that include bread crumbs coffee1.gif

There are 100's of recipes on that site. None of the ones that I have used or looked at used bread crumbs. What is nice about those recipes is that they are precise with the fat content and have things as percents so it won't have the variation you would get using standard c measurements.

But yes, please add more to the conversation than your barstool whit.

As proved by your assumption that using bread crumbs is wrong, the whole issue of sausages is subjective, do u like British, German, Italian, Polish............ It is all personal choice, so find a recipe you like and use it, don't go telling people that their way is wrong. My comments were to try and make you think that what you like may not be what others do. Edited by RabC

There are 100's of recipes on that site. None of the ones that I have used or looked at used bread crumbs. What is nice about those recipes is that they are precise with the fat content and have things as percents so it won't have the variation you would get using standard c measurements.

As proved by your assumption that using bread crumbs is wrong, the whole issue of sausages is subjective, do u like British, German, Italian, Polish............ It is all personal choice, so find a recipe you like and use it, don't go telling people that their way is wrong. My comments were to try and make you think that what you like may not be what others do.
too true..sausages and people's tastes are different as are the ingredients all the world over. I really disliked breadcrumbs in sausage before but it was because I was using the wrong proportions. For me know in burgers or general sausage mince....15% crumbs to meat. Sausage rolls 50%

You can go online to get and save conversion tables to cover UK, US and Metric amounts for solids and liquids, for spoons, grams, ounces etc easily enough and then when you use any recipe just copy it and adjust to what you are happy with using.

I assume that you have a set of electronic scales that measure small amounts of grams etc as well ad scales that go up to perhaps 10kg or more.

all conversion charts.xls

Conversions.doc

Cooking temperature conversions.xls

spoon sizes.xls

Weights and measurements.doc

Keeping the meat/ mixture cool is very important because otherwise the grinder will puree the meat if it is warm. Fully agree that the low cost domestic grinders have to slog through the process meaning they generate a huge amount of heat in quite a short time. I suggest putting the hopper, screw, plates and anything else metal in the fridge or better freezer for quite a while beforehand.

You can go online to get and save conversion tables to cover UK, US and Metric amounts for solids and liquids, for spoons, grams, ounces etc easily enough and then when you use any recipe just copy it and adjust to what you are happy with using.

I assume that you have a set of electronic scales that measure small amounts of grams etc as well ad scales that go up to perhaps 10kg or more.

attachicon.gifall conversion charts.xls

attachicon.gifConversions.doc

attachicon.gifCooking temperature conversions.xls

attachicon.gifspoon sizes.xls

attachicon.gifWeights and measurements.doc

The problem is using conversions. Not all spices, herbs etc have the same weight per volume. So if you use 1/2 tsp etc you might not be getting the precise amount. Using a percentage for your recipes will assure accuracy. However for most home cooks without the need for precision it is fine. My point is only that there are ways to get commercially grade results at home.

for a very cheap investment of 1k baht or so you can get a scale that measures down to the .01 of a gram. You will have more consistent results.

Also when making larger batches you cannot just double or triple a recipe for sausage without knowing the percents. When making 5-10kg batches you cannot just take an online recipe and multiple it by 5 especially when using cups and spoons for measuring,

As proved by your assumption that using bread crumbs is wrong, the whole issue of sausages is subjective, do u like British, German, Italian, Polish............ It is all personal choice, so find a recipe you like and use it, don't go telling people that their way is wrong. My comments were to try and make you think that what you like may not be what others do.
too true..sausages and people's tastes are different as are the ingredients all the world over. I really disliked breadcrumbs in sausage before but it was because I was using the wrong proportions. For me know in burgers or general sausage mince....15% crumbs to meat. Sausage rolls 50%

Cumberland sausages are traditionally made with a special kind of rusk, which is similar to breadcrumbs but pretty much inedible when eaten on its own. The high fat content and addition of water makes sure that is not a problem. And of course, in Northern Thailand rice or noodles or both are essential ingredients in the local sausages.

Nah. I used to use a lot of Thai condoms when I had an ingrowing toenail ripped out at the hospital. They were just the right size to cover the dressings when I went for a shower.

attachicon.gifsausage skins.jpg

These are collagen casings not natural casings from intestines. So they have no snap. I think that most people, given a choice between eating a sausage made with collagen casings or natural casings, would opt for the latter. Still, they are a lot easier to use.

These are collagen casings not natural casings from intestines. So they have no snap. I think that most people, given a choice between eating a sausage made with collagen casings or natural casings, would opt for the latter. Still, they are a lot easier to use.

Very true, but I didn't know the difference when I bought them and I was having problems with the natural ones that I bought (frozen) from Makro.

Life is a learning experience.

Very true, but I didn't know the difference when I bought them and I was having problems with the natural ones that I bought (frozen) from Makro.

Life is a learning experience.

Yeah;, the ones from Makro are very frustrating to deal with. Different widths, holes, etc. There's a place in Bangkok that sells imported natural casings. It's called B.O.T. The phone number is : 089-815-5161 They have pork casings in a range from 28-30 to 50-55. Also sheep casings 24-26. The casings are very neatly packed unlike the tangled mess that Makro offers.

Edited by ilostmypassword