Asylum seekers in Middlesborough say they are being housed in “marked” homes

snoop1130

Asylum seekers in Middlesborough say they are being housed in “marked” homes
By Robert Hackwill

606x341_321900.jpg

NORTH YORKSHIRE, ENGLAND -- Suspicions are running high in the northern English city of Middlesborough, which has welcomed the highest number of refugees and asylum seekers since the start of the current crisis.

Refugees say they have been concentrated in homes with red doors, and that the doors are being used by racists to identify them, and then attack their families.

Landlord Jomast says it is coincidence that much of its city housing stock has red doors. But it seems the word has got out about the new residents.

Jamal from Syria says he and his fellow asylum seekers have quickly found out that living behind a red door in Middlesborough invites midnight disturbances and a lack of respect.

Jomast is owned by controversial security giant G4S, and now a government minister has got involved and is demanding an inquiry to find out what has happened in this immigration hotspot.

“I have asked Home Office officials to look into this matter as a matter of urgency and report to me and to the Permanent Secretary,” said Immigration Minister James Brokenshire.

At Jomast bosses are perplexed as to how the row has blown up into a national issue.

“It was not an intended form of discrimination at all and I don’t accept that as being a valid comment. We haven’t had or received a complaint from an asylum-seeker. I don’t accept the criticism,” said Managing Director Stuart Monk.

Few are suggesting malicious intent but some are pointing to Jomast and parent G4S’s past business practise records. One criticism noted the issue of door colours had been raised as far back as 2012, and added Jomast had failed to listen to residents or adapt policy to the circumstances.

This eyewitness comment from a British newspaper reader in a related article, written from the nearby town of Stockton-on-Tees, is illuminating:

“I live in stockton on Tees and work in the local community. I was party to a report comissioned in the area that examined the needs of asylum seekers in the tees valley. In addition to painting asylum seekers doors red, until just over a year ago door jams of asylum seekers had coloured stripes painted on them which corresponded to the area of the world the came from.

Green for Africa, yellow for middle east etc. It was so that jomast employees could drive around an area and single out all of the asylum seekers from one particular region to inspect without having to go to the trouble of generating tenant lists.

Concerns over the red painted doors have been known for years. Jomast have repeatedly refused to change the colour, even when new doors have been fitted.

Not content with this, jomast regularly separate families, housing the men in Middlesborough and their wives and children in stockton, usually 14 miles apart. They are meant to provide support and direction to local services, including the charity sector, but in the past 4 years our services have had two referrals from jomast. When approached to be party to services which would be fully free for them, they have refused.

I honestly wish I could say that this was rumour or rabble rousing. But I’ve experienced first hand the casual indifference and offhand dismissal asylum seekers in Middlesbrough and stockton are treated with by jomast.

And despite that, jomast are considered one of the better housing providers for asylum seekers. What a sorry state.”

Source: http://www.euronews.com/2016/01/21/asylum-seekers-in-middleborough-say-they-are-being-housed-in-marked-homes/

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-01-21

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If they think they are being targeted by way of painting doors wait until it really kicks off with the local population who are growing ever increasingly fed up with high unemployment and increased numbers of foreigners bringing nothing to the country.

The worst is yet to come I'm afraid.

These so called asylum seekers clearly have way too much time on their hands. Boredom and islam is a dangerous combination. What is needed is gainful employment( non cash remunerative - just to receive any benefits at all)for these immigrants to keep occupied and give them both a taste of work and to meet others in an area outside the mosque to learn societal norms. Chain gangs fixing roads and infrastructure. Perhaps some armaments factory assignments, agricultural laborers etc. mens work, 12 hrs per day, 365 days per year, to give them some focus and ultimately some pride. Their poxy red doors will be the last concern

Edited by jaidam

This douch canoe is crying because they gave him a frre house with a red door. How about sleeping on the sidewalk like alot of citizens are doing. Unreal.

This is the harsh reality.

It will be horrendous when the giving stops !

Go buy a small pot of paint and a brush. Problem solved in 10 minutes. <deleted>.

Highly likely would be in breach of their tenancy agreement to repaint. However, the provider, Jomast, has now agreed to repaint affected tenants front doors with different colour schemes

Edited by simple1

Go buy a small pot of paint and a brush. Problem solved in 10 minutes. <deleted>.

Highly likely would be in breach of their tenancy agreement to repaint without permission. However, the provider, Jomast, has now agreed to repaint affected tenants front doors with different colour schemes

My mother and father still to this day reside in a council property,they have done so for neigh on 40 years,you should see how they've transformed their home over the years,new kitchens,interior doors,etc etc,breaching their tenancy agreement maybe 1000 times over they have never had a problem.

I can't imagine asylum seekers would be removed from a property for painting a door a different colour that would be in breach of their human rights of which they automatically have access to the best lawyers in the land for free of course under legal aid.

The ironic thing is most of these people never had or used a door where they come from,it's a farce.

Edited by stoneyboy

If I go back to the UK,

Would be totally happy to live in a free house with a red door.

Only they won't lit my wife in, cos she isn't a refugee.

I can't help but agree with you.

How about if I get Thai citizenship, say something nasty about "something" and then tootle off back to the UK. Could I claim asylum, on human rights grounds, as a refuge from the witch hunt currently going on in Thailand and get a nice red doored house and never have to work again?

You do not need to be a loony-left-winger or even a bleeding heart liberal to understand what is wrong here.

The landlord (G4S) painted all the doors red, with colour coded trim, so that they could identify the nationality (or status) of the residents. This is all in the article. It was done purely for their convenience.

The local yobs have pooled their single brain cells and 'cracked' the colour code so that it can be used to identify targets for abuse.

Some members here might think this is a good thing.

Typical mindset of someone from a culture that marks the doors of Christians houses with the Arabic letter 'N' for Nazarene. I doubt there's anything sinister here, perhaps the council got a job lot of red paint left over from painting the football stadium.

If I go back to the UK,

In my country there are no houses left with red doors, neither can I take my Miz. Reason for my return to Thailand.

You do not need to be a loony-left-winger or even a bleeding heart liberal to understand what is wrong here.

The landlord (G4S) painted all the doors red, with colour coded trim, so that they could identify the nationality (or status) of the residents. This is all in the article. It was done purely for their convenience.

The local yobs have pooled their single brain cells and 'cracked' the colour code so that it can be used to identify targets for abuse.

Some members here might think this is a good thing.

There are more countries in the world than the colors on the rainbow. Why not use bar codes?

If I go back to the UK,

Wonder what would happen if you claimed your missus was a red shirt, student activist, Orwell reader, sandwich eater, three finger salute merchant, or Shin supporter and was fleeing from an oppressive military junta?

Probably told to <deleted> off by an Asian UK Border Officer?

Typical mindset of someone from a culture that marks the doors of Christians houses with the Arabic letter 'N' for Nazarene. I doubt there's anything sinister here, perhaps the council got a job lot of red paint left over from painting the football stadium.

GS4 are useless - experts at screwing things up and then coming out with crappy excuses. Given their track record they wouldn't have put any thought whatsoever into this. Certainly nothing color coded or sinister. They ain't that clever.

However, splitting families up? &lt;deleted&gt; are the government doing allowing clowns like G4S to make decisions like that?

People who live in the UK feel very strongly about this situation, an asylum seeker gets a benefit of about £37 a week, never contributed into the system, plus a roof over their head. A UK national who has contributed all their working life would get around £60 unemployment benefit (correct me if I'm wrong).

It really does piss people off.

They were using the Brittania Hotel nr Manchester Airport, giving breakfast then they had to get out and come back again for evening meal.

I wouldn't mind a bit of that!

I have contributed thousands of pounds into the system in the past, and still do!

Edited by roo860