Will Smith joins Oscars boycott, says he won't attend

webfact

I laud Smith for his courage. He is a very highly paid superstar, and this is a gutsy decision. He has influence, and he is using it. The reality is that there was alot of talent in this years crop of actors of color. And it was nothing but racism, favoritism, and Hollywood saying how liberal they are, but when it really came down to it, not having the guts to demonstrate that. Look, something like 45% of the audience is of color. Blacks, Asians, Latinos, etc. Actors from within those groups are under represented to begin with. Those that do perform, and do so on the level of the crew of Selma, or Concussion should be recognized. To continue not doing so is just plain old ignorant. And I say this as a white male. There is alot of talent out there when it comes to people of color.

Honestly, the one group that's truly under-represented is Asian-Americans. Forget about even awards nominations, they (especially Asian-American men) rarely even get big screen roles that are of any significance.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is high time America steps up and brings the Oscars in line with giving minority students free passes to move to the next grade without passing the curriculum...awarding every child a trophe even though their team could not win one game...yes, please do give all minorities an Oscar...they deserve it because they are people of color and need to stand up to white privilege...another step in the direction of mediocrity for all Americans...

Well it is simple really. More blacks will be shot because these people are stirring up hatred against white people, with the oooh im being discriminated against card, when nothing of the sort has happened.

Then the impressionable black youths, will get all worked up over whitey, being so bad to them and take it out against authority ect, then authority will have to take action against them, including lethal force.

Its just a recent thing, that people that have equal rights, feel the need to push it even more, with the race card. If anything blacks have more rights than

white people these days. Also when I have employed black contract workers, this same entitlement follows them around, go figure.

I laud Smith for his courage. He is a very highly paid superstar, and this is a gutsy decision. He has influence, and he is using it. The reality is that there was alot of talent in this years crop of actors of color. And it was nothing but racism, favoritism, and Hollywood saying how liberal they are, but when it really came down to it, not having the guts to demonstrate that. Look, something like 45% of the audience is of color. Blacks, Asians, Latinos, etc. Actors from within those groups are under represented to begin with. Those that do perform, and do so on the level of the crew of Selma, or Concussion should be recognized. To continue not doing so is just plain old ignorant. And I say this as a white male. There is alot of talent out there when it comes to people of color.

What's it like to hate yourself? You must look in the mirror every morning and feel really guilty for being born white.

The Oscars is a load of blx anyway, a load of lovies, black and white all well up their own backsides. Why don't you suggest segregating it, then you could have a black and a white winner. Although then, you'd probably get the Asians jumping on the bandwagon.

Stop looking for trouble where there ain't none.

Edited by jesimps

You say this as a white liberal left PC male.

Should the Oscar nominations be based on talent and content or on racial profiling to achieve diversity. With places reserved not only for Afro-Americans but Latinos, Asian, Native Americans, Arabs, Eskimos; and then some for Jews, Catholics, Atheists, Sikhs, Hindus, Buddhists, etc; men, women, homosexuals, transgenders etc etc etc.

Or do you prefer just the Afro-Americans to receive special treatment.

Stuff the idea of picking the best. And if a white person should win, omg, must be racist and require endless debate and protest.

Of course it couldn't be sour grapes from the talentless Mrs Smith that her average husband and very average son haven't been nominated somehow? Or her desire that they be elevates to one of Hollywood's leading dynasties where anyone who doesn't recognize all they do as mega talent is vilified and pilloried as racist? Notice she only mentions Afro-Americans and speaks as though she is some kind of authority higher than the academy members on deciding what's best.

Pathetic. The constant use of the race card by some every time they aren't treated specially or given the prize.

Nice to agree with you for a change Bb, even if you do talk blx most of the time.

Entitled rich black man and wife stage protest.

While living in a white community and living of the white moms money, loll you have to love these people, they and their like only

Reinforce peoples hatred for blacks.

Will Smith is one of the most successful/influential and richest men in Hollywood.

He worked from a very young age to get to where he is today....

He's not entitled nor hated. Except by certain obviously racial hating TV members....

Worked from a young age preaching hatred as a rapper.

Talentless twerp.

While living in a white community and living of the white moms money, loll you have to love these people, they and their like only

Will Smith is one of the most successful/influential and richest men in Hollywood.

He's not entitled nor hated. Except by certain obviously racial hating TV members....

Talentless twerp.

Id say his accomplishments would prove otherwise.

Whats your claim to being such a judgmental keyboard warrior?

Preaching hate on TV?

Should the Oscar nominations be based on talent and content or on racial profiling to achieve diversity. With places reserved not only for Afro-Americans but Latinos, Asian, Native Americans, Arabs, Eskimos; and then some for Jews, Catholics, Atheists, Sikhs, Hindus, Buddhists, etc; men, women, homosexuals, transgenders etc etc etc.

Stuff the idea of picking the best. And if a white person should win, omg, must be racist and require endless debate and protest.

Of course it couldn't be sour grapes from the talentless Mrs Smith that her average husband and very average son haven't been nominated somehow? Or her desire that they be elevates to one of Hollywood's leading dynasties where anyone who doesn't recognize all they do as mega talent is vilified and pilloried as racist? Notice she only mentions Afro-Americans and speaks as though she is some kind of authority higher than the academy members on deciding what's best.

Pathetic. The constant use of the race card by some every time they aren't treated specially or given the prize.

You are so very incorrect. Here you go jumping to conclusions, yet again. I am not a leftist. And I am alot of things, but I have NEVER been called PC. I am about as politically incorrect as they come! I could give a rats ass about political correctness. But, I do care about talent. And there are alot of black and latino talents out there. A lot. The fact that they are rarely nominated by the oscars, yet often nominated by the peoples choice awards, the critics choices awards, the screen actors guild, the golden globes, and others, tells me all I need to know about the Academy. They are bought and paid for. They are about as impartial, and as fair as Donald Trump.

There is no race card here. I am not a black man. I am just a huge fan of cinema, and like alot of black, latino and asian actors and actresses, filmmakers, directors, cinematographers, make up artists, production designers, writers, editors, musicians, etc. I am often astonished at how infrequently they are nominated. That is all this is about. Make it a race issue, if that makes you happy.

But it's okay to have the Black Music Awards, BET awards, etc. where no latinos, asians, whites, etc. are represented. Maybe we should just have Asian awards night, Black awards night, Latino awards night, etc. This is a load of manure.

Talentless twerp.

I don't remember Smith being one of those types of rappers...not hateful nor "gangsta". Maybe more like pop-rap - if there were such a thing.

http://www.aaregistry.org/historic_events/view/first-rap-grammy-award-given

Date:

Mon, 1988-02-22

*On this date in 1988, DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince won the first Rap Grammy Award.

This honor was for the hit single “Parents Just Don't Understand, conceived by Clarence Holmes.” DJ Jazzy Jeff was Jeffrey Townes, the Fresh Prince was Willard Smith and Ready Rock C was Clarence Holmes.

You are so very incorrect. Here you go jumping to conclusions, yet again. I am not a leftist. And I am alot of things, but I have NEVER been called PC. I am about as politically incorrect as they come! I could give a rats ass about political correctness. But, I do care about talent. And there are alot of black and latino talents out there. A lot. The fact that they are rarely nominated by the oscars, yet often nominated by the peoples choice awards, the critics choices awards, the screen actors guild, the golden globes, and others, tells me all I need to know about the Academy. They are bought and paid for. They are about as impartial, and as fair as Donald Trump.

There is no race card here. I am not a black man. I am just a huge fan of cinema, and like alot of black, latino and asian actors and actresses, filmmakers, directors, cinematographers, make up artists, production designers, writers, editors, musicians, etc. I am often astonished at how infrequently they are nominated. That is all this is about. Make it a race issue, if that makes you happy.

I agree with you that there are many talented people in every race, nationality and gender.

But what I dont understand is this, Were there some black actors or filmmakers, directors etc who deserved, but were not because of their race?

This is a honest question that no one has answered yet. You knowing a lot more about the movies than I do can perhaps answer this.

Mr. Smith says this is about the children.

"This is about children that are going to sit down and they're going to watch the show and they're not going to see themselves represented," said Smith

How many children watch the Oscars, other than being in the room while Mom and Dad are watching?

How many children would notice the racial mix, unless an over-privileged, self-important parent pointed it out?

You'd be surprised at what children see and know.

Not at all surprised, I have raised children and now have grandchildren; they do not miss much.

But for them to have the context of discrimination and playing the victim due to race...that is taught.

Talentless twerp.

Jesimps just revealed to us, that his knowledge of hip hop music is zero. So, why even make a statement like that, when it is backed up by nothing? Smith as a rapper was considered one of the softest acts in rap. DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, though talented, were considered to be one of the forerunners of progressive hip hop. They rarely had any lyrics that were considered racist, misogynistic or inflammatory. It was feel good hip hip. I still consider Summertime to be a classic song. They were criticized and spurned within many segments on the black community, as their music was not considered to have any force or power, and was considered too light. So, to accuse this man of preaching hatred as a rapper, is like saying that Gandhi preached warfare, or Jerry Seinfeld preached revolution, or Churchill preached pacifism. You are so far off base here. Occasionally, it is a good thing for everyone if you admit you have no idea what you are talking about. In general Will Smith has been a good citizen, is a very talented actor, who deserves his fame and fortune, in my opinion, and supports alot of charity work, such as:

Just a sample of the lyrics from Summertime, one of my favorite DJ Jazzy Jeff songs:

School is out and it's a sort of a buzz

But back then I didn't really know what it was

But now I see what happened is

The way that people respond to summer madness

The weather is hot and girls are dressing less

And checking out the fellas to tell 'em who's best

Riding around in your jeep or your Benzos

Or in your Nissan sitting on lorenzos

Back in Philly we'd be out in the park

A place called the plateau is where everybody goes

Guys out hunting and girls doing likewise

Honking at the honey in front of you with the light eyes

She turns around to see what you beeping at

It's like the summer's a natural aphrodisiac

And with a pen and pad I compose this rhyme

To hit you and get you equipped for the summer time.

So now the all important question. What have you done lately that compares with the impact that this man is making on his community?

Edited by spidermike007

I agree with you that there are many talented people in every race, nationality and gender.

But what I dont understand is this, Were there some black actors or filmmakers, directors etc who deserved, but were not because of their race?

This is a honest question that no one has answered yet. You knowing a lot more about the movies than I do can perhaps answer this.

I certainly believe so. Just a small list of a few that I think deserved nominations:

Michael B. Jordan for his performance in Creed.

Idris Elba for his performance in Beasts of No Nation.

Abraham Attah for supporting actor in Beasts of No Nation.

F. Gary Grey for direction of Straight Outta Compton. ( I believe this film might have been nominated for best picture, if it were not for its portrayal of hip-hop, and the song f+++ the police). It was probably too incendiary for the PC crowd on the academy committee.

Jason Mitchell for his performance in Straight Outta Compton.

Ryan Coogler for his direction of Creed.

Benicio del Toro for supporting actor in Sicario.

Possibly Spike Lee for direction of Chi-Raq.

Possibly Will Smith for his performance in Concussion.

There were others. But, these stand out.

Granted, Al Pacino acting in the Godfather II, lost to Art Carney in Harry and Tonto, so you can make an argument that the judgment of the academy has often been tainted by considerations other than talent alone. And Stallone was the only one nominated for Creed, though there was alot of black talent working on the film. However, when the voters are 94% white, 76% men, and are an average of 63 years old, issues of racism and cultural understanding aren't imaginary, but very real. I do realize some of these films featuring black actors were not as widely seen as some of the other, bigger films this past year. And I will admit that the number of outstanding performances by people of color were less than normal. But to have nominated zero seems a bit of an admission that a problem exists, within the academy membership, in my humble opinion.

Please don't accuse me of hating my white race. Nothing could be further from the truth. I consider myself to be fairly open minded and don't have a racist bone in my body. I like all sorts of people, and have dear friends that are black, latino, asian, etc. It just gets under my skin when I see something like this, that appears to me, to be so blatantly closed minded and reeking of favoritism.

Edited by spidermike007

A little over 12 % of the American population is black.

A little over 10% of nominees have been black in the past 20 years.

Film and race: How racially skewed are the Oscars?

Http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2016/01/film-and-race

Edited by pedro01

Will Smith hasn't done anything worth watching since 'I Am Legend'.

Has been ......... no loss.

I disagree. Concussion, Seven pounds, and Focus were all quite good. He is a major talent, in my opinion. I am not going to comment on Men in Black III, and Hancock. After Earth was one of the worst films I have ever seen. I do not think it was about his acting. It was the horrific performance of his son, who should stay as far away from acting as possible, as he cannot act at all. And it was the production. It appeared to be vanity project, that completely got away from him. It was beyond awful. Ranks right up there with The 5th Wave, Lone Ranger, Anchorman II, Mordecai, Jonah Hex, RIPD, and Grown ups, as worst films in the past several years.

I disagree. Concussion, Seven pounds, and Focus were all quite good. He is a major talent, in my opinion. I am not going to comment on Men in Black III, and Hancock. After Earth was one of the worst films I have ever seen. I do not think it was about his acting. It was the horrific performance of his son, who should stay as far away from acting as possible, as he cannot act at all. And it was the production. It appeared to be vanity project, that completely got away from him. It was beyond awful. Ranks right up there with The 5th Wave, Lone Ranger, Anchorman II, Mordecai, Jonah Hex, RIPD, and Grown ups, as worst films in the past several years.

You must spend quite a bit of time in darkened theaters.

You must spend quite a bit of time in darkened theaters.

I do admit to being a major cinemaphile. I have loved movies all of my life. Not too fond of most big Hollywood productions anymore, but love independent, foreign, and smaller films, with the occasional good Hollywood film that speaks through. Most are watched on my exceptionally good home theatre. So, yes I do watch alot of movies, and love every minute of it, with the exception being films like the above mentioned turkeys. Oh, I forgot Wild Wild West, Green Lantern, Battlefield earth, Gigli, and Transformers in that worst of all time list.