Why I will give the next 3 month trip a miss.

If you really want to enjoy re-locating here permanently you need to get the heck out of the farang ghettos. I know a couple of guys who never venture outside of Sukhumvit and when they do it's got to be somewhere they can get to from the MRT/BTS that has some farang mall or attraction. They only take cabs or tuk-tuks which in the ghettos are scamming every day. Both of these guys (who have been here 3 and 4 years respectively) are fed up with the Thai experience and lamenting that they want to leave but really don't want to go back to the USA. They spend their time hanging out in foreigner themed bars, eat in food courts and western fast food joints, and openly decry how commercialized and expensive Thailand has become !

In short, they never stopped being tourists, which sounds very similar to the OP's plight. Thailand is not for everyone but if you are ever going to be the least bit comfortable here, you have to let go of much of that thinking and behavior. I understand it and at least once a week i need to hit the BTS and head to an area where at least I can feel like I'm not a zoo exhibit to the locals. (I live on the west side of the river and walking down some of these Sois feels no different than being in an Issan village, people stop and stare or the drunk locals make rude comments but that's OK. 

This is still the best option for me (both financially, romantically, and convenience wise) that I can find. Nothing is paradise  and nothing will ever be. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have lived here for 3 years and I am neither over whelmed or under whelmed - just welmed

I agree with the posters comments. I used to spend freely and never moan about taxis who refuse to use a meter (there is only one reason why) the dual pricing and the like. After all there is always an argument to justify it. Tell ourselves how lucky we are or how we cannot make comparrisons to our home country, I have listened to them all.

I know many thai people, I am careful not to view them as 'friends', my experience tells me you cannot trust a thai with anything that gives them an oportunity to gain directly or have leverage over you. A friend is someone you can confide in, this is simply not possible with poorly educated (not my view but confirmed by various global agencies) people who see gossip and story telling as an obligation. Low self esteem and little to no confidence to think, form and educated opinion or process information in a pragmantic manner leads to a nation who have few ways to express themself - the ability to display and deal with emotions is a clear problem in so many thai people.  Anyway, one such aquaintance told me of a burst pipe in his condo that caused alot of water damage to the ferang owned condo below. Ohh how he laughed when to told me he was never going to pay for the damage, just offer a small amount. Therefore allowing him to 'save face' in the eyes of his peers and potentially force the ferang to spend years going through the legal process. He smiled and said 'the old man will be dead before this get sorted, and get nothing'. Unformtunatley this approach to greed is society wide, it knows no limits and is adopted by all social levels, all business areas and all areas of government.

I no longer leave myself open to the blatant and unpleasant finacial abuse that is prevelant in this country. My expenditure has reduced dramatically, my happiness has increased. I will remain here, it gives me a good climate in which to live and a plentiful supply fo fresh food - yes I live a basic life. But I no longer apsire to have assets here or invest in any way. It is simply stupid to do so, I would rather give it away to a charity in my home country.

I wish I can be more upbeat, the truth hurts

• Like 2

12 hours ago, iantvc15 said:

I have lived here for 3 years and I am neither over whelmed or under whelmed - just welmed

I agree with the posters comments. I used to spend freely and never moan about taxis who refuse to use a meter (there is only one reason why) the dual pricing and the like. After all there is always an argument to justify it. Tell ourselves how lucky we are or how we cannot make comparrisons to our home country, I have listened to them all.

I know many thai people, I am careful not to view them as 'friends', my experience tells me you cannot trust a thai with anything that gives them an oportunity to gain directly or have leverage over you. A friend is someone you can confide in, this is simply not possible with poorly educated (not my view but confirmed by various global agencies) people who see gossip and story telling as an obligation. Low self esteem and little to no confidence to think, form and educated opinion or process information in a pragmantic manner leads to a nation who have few ways to express themself - the ability to display and deal with emotions is a clear problem in so many thai people.  Anyway, one such aquaintance told me of a burst pipe in his condo that caused alot of water damage to the ferang owned condo below. Ohh how he laughed when to told me he was never going to pay for the damage, just offer a small amount. Therefore allowing him to 'save face' in the eyes of his peers and potentially force the ferang to spend years going through the legal process. He smiled and said 'the old man will be dead before this get sorted, and get nothing'. Unformtunatley this approach to greed is society wide, it knows no limits and is adopted by all social levels, all business areas and all areas of government.

I no longer leave myself open to the blatant and unpleasant finacial abuse that is prevelant in this country. My expenditure has reduced dramatically, my happiness has increased. I will remain here, it gives me a good climate in which to live and a plentiful supply fo fresh food - yes I live a basic life. But I no longer apsire to have assets here or invest in any way. It is simply stupid to do so, I would rather give it away to a charity in my home country.

I wish I can be more upbeat, the truth hurts

That has generally not been my experience. I see the occasional a-hole, but by and large, the people  I meet here are fine. Certainly never heard anyone bragging about cheating some old man. 

Incidentally, when a taxi driver refuses to use the meter why not just get out? 

Edited by mogandave
  • Like 2

wow guess what? thailand isn't perfect. how enlightening.

every country has good points and bad points, you should be grateful that you come from a country that gives you the opportunity to be free to make decisions about how you live your life. if you dont like somewhere dont moan and groan calmly and quietly go somewhere else.

I understand exactly what you are saying.Thailand is Thailand and it will never change just do window dressing.But people will keep coming chasing the dream.Most tourists on 2 week holidays just want to live it up. they overspend. The overspending cushions them most of the time from the in your face crime and discrimination.Over spend every one takes care of you.,money talks and walks here.They donot have time to think about costs they only think wowi am eating papaya salad and sticky rice cannot get that at home.Who cares what it costs I am experiencing it.These people will keep coming. I saw it happen in Mexico over 30 years ago. Cancun draws many people but is far from being real Mexico.Same will happen here.
They donot care how corrupt the government is just give them 2 weeks of feeling like they are somebody.Over charging is ok by them because they are to stupid to learn about the country before they come. Fun is the sun.
Also good on you for going budget now.The little you spend will actually do more for the country than the large you spent before. To live for 3 months on that you will be dealing with the people who work hard for little and appreciate everything they get.

I would be ashamed to arrive as tourist and then spend my time slurping chicken soup from a cart.

I really don't get your post. Tourist spend big in all developing and 3rd world countries. Bartering over a kilo of bananas lol while on holidays? Who does that? Thais will always pay less as do Cambodians and Vietnamese etc

1 hour ago, samsensam said:

wow guess what? thailand isn't perfect. how enlightening.

every country has good points and bad points, you should be grateful that you come from a country that gives you the opportunity to be free to make decisions about how you live your life. if you dont like somewhere dont moan and groan calmly and quietly go somewhere else.

I think he can't help it.  

2 hours ago, toughlove said:

I would be ashamed to arrive as tourist and then spend my time slurping chicken soup from a cart.

Strangely enough I made 10 meals worth of Sicilian chicken soup last night with the 20bht chicken breasts I found marked down in Tesco.

IMG_20171008_145313.jpg