Do I fix this or does the landlord?

Right now I am renting a house in Thailand and my Air conditioner is broken. If the unit needs to be replaced is that something I would have to pay for or would the landlord take care of that?

Forgive my ignorance but I am from America and if something breaks in your rental all you do is call the landlord and they will fix it. Does it work that way in Thailand or do I have to fix it on my own?

Thanks Guys

I assume the aircon unit was already in place when you moved in...

if so I would say the landlord needs to sort it (you pay x amount more rent as your place has aircon right?), usually they need to be cleaned every 3 months or so... when you say broken what is wrong with it?

have you had a word with the landlord? If you purchased the unit during your stay than obviously it is down to you to fix as it is yours. You may want to read your rental contract however I always paid for mine to be cleaned back when I was renting but anything that broke was usually down to the landlord to sort including fridges/tvs etc but your contract might give you more information.

Then again if you broke it then you may be liable as with spilling a cup of water on your TV for example?.

Approach it politely with your landlord,

Good luck,

Cheers

Edited by ryanhull

I assume the aircon unit was already in place when you moved in...

if so I would say the landlord needs to sort it (you pay x amount more rent as your place has aircon right?), usually they need to be cleaned every 3 months or so... when you say broken what is wrong with it?

have you had a word with the landlord? If you purchased the unit during your stay than obviously it is down to you to fix as it is yours. You may want to read your rental contract however I always paid for mine to be cleaned back when I was renting but anything that broke was usually down to the landlord to sort including fridges/tvs etc but your contract might give you more information.

Then again if you broke it then you may be liable as with spilling a cup of water on your TV for example?.

Approach it politely with your landlord,

Good luck,

Cheers

Just how could he break it?,

LOandlord should pay hold the rent till its replaced, he can't re-let the unit if the a/c is not working

Just how could he break it?,

LOandlord should pay hold the rent till its replaced, he can't re-let the unit if the a/c is not working

It is possible for someone to break anything in a rented apartment you may be suprised, however I do agree with you it is unlikely. Do not fully agree with withholding the rent until the landlord has been contacted and given an opportunity to fix this up as it is only going to cause friction between both parties, also that is breaking the contract which is not good without trying to come to an agreement.

I am sure most landlords would sort this out easily with a quick polite phone call, all of my landlords have been very nice in sorting these types of issues out anyway and I have rented a fair few places in Thailand.

Again I would read the contract first, politeness goes along way with landlord etc, you'll probably find after a call it will be sorted the same day.

Your rental contract should include a clause specifying that repair costs up to a certain amount per month (500B is common) are down to the tenant, and costs above this are down to the landlord. The idea being that the tenant pays for replacement light-bulbs and suchlike, and that the landlord pays for more major repairs.

Of course if the tenant actually broke the air-con by mistreating it then he is liable.

I suppose it depends on what "broken" means.

Typically, the landlord is responsible for the physical plant...but check your rental contract (if you have one).

I disagree with "he can't re-let the unit if the a/c is not working". He surely could rent it for a bit less and say "no a/c".

Withholding rent would be the last resort. Talk to the landlord first.

Speaking of which, have you approached the landlord about this? That would be the first step, even before posting here.

My landlord has both aircons in my condos serviced religiously every 6 months and just paid for the repair of the hot water heater... she's a good one.

I although will repair at my cost the light unit I busted while trying to replace the tube :-S

I have the same situation. just called my landlady thru her agent, who said replace it, and deduct it from my rent. The same happend with my Bahttub and cooking plate who needed replacements. I was allowed to buy an Ceramic plate of my Choice (Electrolux of 29 000 Baht)

So its alle depend on your landlord or lady. Originaly I signed a 5 year rental contract. After it exprired I asked her, if she liked that I renewed the contract, so we invited her to lunch to discus the new rental. That took about 3 minutes. She simply said that between friends there was no need for contracts, but if I woold like one, I could make one and she would signed it. So I let it be.

We stay here for 7 years now, and still pay the the same rent, but I pay my rent always 2 weeks before due time, keep the place clean and live in harmony with my neighbours and condo managment.because I thinks that benefits me. Owners like tlo keep tennants like that.

Our condo is 85m²,European style Kitchen and Bathroom, with use of swimmlingpool and Tenniscourts. Rental price 13 495 Baht , include Security, water and maintenance fee,

My Air-con is broken - it's tripped out numerous times over the past month.

My landlord has been excellent in response and had technicians in to find the fault and present a fix. Unfortunately the whole compressor unit needs replacing (at approximately THB 70,000 - its a large unit).

The landlord is taking responsibility for all this.

Equally so, if something were to break in the Condo I rent out, I'd fix it.

Ultimately, low value items (> 2000 baht) such as bulbs etc will be the responsibility of the Tenant. More significant items such as the Washing Machine, TV, Air-con, Cooker etc (if included in the rental contract) will be the responsibility of the landlord unless they've been mistreated.

Having lived in Thai owned Condos and houses, it helps to understand there logic.

If you move into a property with broken items, then it is likely they will remain like that, ie You need to get the landlord to repair / replace before moving in, if not good luck!

Likewise there attitude is "Well it worked when you moved in, so you mut have broken it, so you fix!

The first thing they will ask is, have you serviced the air con? Most expect you to pay for this, I suugest you request a service before worrying about how much etc.

Of course thats unfair, and if its broken through age..wear and tear, then spoken to nicely they will often replace it.

You will find thats how they treat Thai's to whom they rent to as well, its not a foreigner attitude.

Good luck!

I have the same situation. just called my landlady thru her agent, who said replace it, and deduct it from my rent. The same happend with my Bahttub and cooking plate who needed replacements. I was allowed to buy an Ceramic plate of my Choice (Electrolux of 29 000 Baht)

So its alle depend on your landlord or lady. Originaly I signed a 5 year rental contract. After it exprired I asked her, if she liked that I renewed the contract, so we invited her to lunch to discus the new rental. That took about 3 minutes. She simply said that between friends there was no need for contracts, but if I woold like one, I could make one and she would signed it. So I let it be.

We stay here for 7 years now, and still pay the the same rent, but I pay my rent always 2 weeks before due time, keep the place clean and live in harmony with my neighbours and condo managment.because I thinks that benefits me. Owners like tlo keep tennants like that.

Our condo is 85m²,European style Kitchen and Bathroom, with use of swimmlingpool and Tenniscourts. Rental price 13 495 Baht , include Security, water and maintenance fee,

can you please tell me where you live? just the area, please.

i think i need to discuss my rent level with my landlord...

cheers

The first point is whether you have a proper signed lease agreement and hopefully in Thai and in English.

If there is such document is responsibility for repair / maintenance / replacement of air-conditioners mentioned?

If you just have a verbal agreement was this subject specifically discussed? Any witnesses.

If you just have a verbal agreement and none of these matters have been discussed then keep your fingers crossed.

The landlord, but if he is Thai he will probably see it differently. When you moved in it,

was working when you move out it should be working. It broke while you were there

you should fix it. gigglem.gif

No question it is the landlord's responsibility. It's a fixture or fitting, right? Doesn't matter how it happens to be malfunctioning, if it was OK at the start of the lease it is the landlord's responsibility.

I'd start out with a polite request to have it fixed. Set a time limit, then stop paying rent if it isn't. You may lose your security deposit; however, that's probably cheaper than continuing to pay rent on accommodation which is not being maintained according to the initial conditions of the lease.

There are a lot of landlords in Thailand desperate for good tenants. If that means bad landlords can't rent their properties, som nam na.

The OP is renting a house, so likely to have a more considerate landlord than someone that rents out numerous condos. Or worse, an agent that rents out numerous condos.

My experience with 5 different landlords has been excellent. Had a/c replaced 4 times. Once because the neighbour complained that the compressor was noisy - no problem says the landlord.

Had a fridge, washing machine and TV replaced because the line was struck by lightning.

Even told one landlord that I would rent his house but the lounge furniture was crap, the TV was an old box thingy, the fridge was too small, and there was no a/c downstairs. No problem - you go pick the furniture you want up to 30k, I have new a/c, fridge, and TV installed. True to his word, two days later all was done.

Burglar alarm not working - fixed in a day.

Septic tank emptied every 6 months. Water pumps fixed and replaced on three occasions. A/c serviced regularly. They even got a bloke in with a special long handled fitting to replace some blown light bulbs in a high atrium ceiling.

Oh - it helps if you have a reputation for paying the rent on time and looking after the place. Thai land owners like that, as opposed to chasing late payers or those that lower the value/appearance of their property.

My advice to the OP - simply call your landlord and tell him the problem. Don't go in all guns blazing, the problem will be sorted. If not, vote with your feet - although even Thais are now doing the math on 10k to fix the a/c compared to 6 months of no rental income if you move out before they find another tenant. They are beginning to understand the buyer's market.

Would you mind telling me where you are renting this unit? Must be the cheapest in Thailand!

They differ, but many assume you are responsible for everything while you rent.

I was fortunate as I rented from a farang/Thai couple who felt differently, and I would call them and they would arrange to repair/ replace a major item like an AC or fridge.

That said you may want it done quickly and if you could arrange to have it repaired and see if they agree a reduction of rent for the next month to cover the cost that may also suit.

If such situations are not covered in your rental agreement then you just have to call them and find out, but a new AC unit would be beyond what I would consider tenants responsibility. If you did replace it yourself, I would say it remains yours, keep their old one and remove it with care not a hacksaw.

Edited by jacko45k

I would guess that an A/C unit would have to be replaced by the landlord, as it is his "property" and will be when you move out. However, as others said, check what your rental contract says. Contract on my first rental said that everything below 2'000 Baht is my responsibility, everything above has to be paid by the landlord BUT for these cases, I had to have his agreement before doing / reparing / replacing anything