What's wrong with the air here. More polluted than KL and Singapore

trd

The current air quality index in Phuket is 78 which is up from yesterday. That's much higher than anywhere else in the region including KL and Singapore. What's going on? It normally averages much lower than this. When we had the smog from Indonesia a while back this reading would have had visible smoke in the air. But this is something else. A non smoke particulate, but what? And why is it so high here.

I'm a bit doubtful of the readings what are provided from Phuket to http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/phuket/municipal-health-center-1/

The readings were, imho, not as high those should have been, during the smog in Phuket. Now the numbers seems to be higher than the outdoor air shows.

Another thing is that there is a difference between PM10 and PM2.5. http://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=aqibasics.particle

I'm a bit doubtful of the readings what are provided from Phuket to http://aqicn.org/city/thailand/phuket/municipal-health-center-1/

The readings were, imho, not as high those should have been, during the smog in Phuket. Now the numbers seems to be higher than the outdoor air shows.

Another thing is that there is a difference between PM10 and PM2.5. http://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=aqibasics.particle

How do you know what the air shows? Most pollution is not visible. To be part of the international AQI network you have to comply with their standards. I just don't buy that Phuket's readings are not accurate.

I use my two highly developed sensors. My eyes and my nose. I also take photos with a zoom lens, which easily shows if the air is now visibly clear, as the view is compressed. This includes the moisture coming from the sea.

At this time I don't sensor anything that would indicate air pollution where I live. Therefore it's reasonable to seek for alternative reasons, why the data shows elevated numbers at the moment.

Maybe there are some local fires, close by where the measurements are taken. Maybe it's the Phuket's incinerator and the current winds to blame? Maybe it's something else.

Phuket is still part of the 3rd world country, where truth is flexible. Our island's speciality is being part of the tourism trade, which brings huge amounts of money to this province. Bad air quality, would not be a good marketing point for Phuket. Would it?

When looking at the history, of non essential services, we have had stories like tsunami warning systems, which were donated and then required service, which was never provided. The servicing money just got lost somewhere.

I don't know how well the air quality stations are serviced and quality checked as well as spot checked, but the track record in this part of the world is not the premium quality.

So yes, I have my doubts about the quality of data what is been provided.

I'm very happy to be proven wrong. Please do so, with data, if available.

I use my two highly developed sensors. My eyes and my nose. I also take photos with a zoom lens, which easily shows if the air is now visibly clear, as the view is compressed. This includes the moisture coming from the sea.

At this time I don't sensor anything that would indicate air pollution where I live. Therefore it's reasonable to seek for alternative reasons, why the data shows elevated numbers at the moment.

Maybe there are some local fires, close by where the measurements are taken. Maybe it's the Phuket's incinerator and the current winds to blame? Maybe it's something else.

Phuket is still part of the 3rd world country, where truth is flexible. Our island's speciality is being part of the tourism trade, which brings huge amounts of money to this province. Bad air quality, would not be a good marketing point for Phuket. Would it?

When looking at the history, of non essential services, we have had stories like tsunami warning systems, which were donated and then required service, which was never provided. The servicing money just got lost somewhere.

I don't know how well the air quality stations are serviced and quality checked as well as spot checked, but the track record in this part of the world is not the premium quality.

I understand what you are saying about how truth is often presented here. I have lived here for many years. But if there was a conspiracy to keep the AQI low so as not to upset the good news tourist story that is in everyone's interests, then a high reading of 78 compared with 24 at Surat Thani would be a strange marketing strategy wouldn't it? In the meantime, my highly sensitive nose that people have often remarked resembles that of a canine in terms of sensitivity and a noticeable stinging in one of my eyes tells a different story.

I understand what you are saying about how truth is often presented here. I have lived here for many years. But if there was a conspiracy to keep the AQI low so as not to upset the good news tourist story that is in everyone's interests, then a high reading of 78 compared with 24 at Surat Thani would be a strange marketing strategy wouldn't it? In the meantime, my highly sensitive nose that people have often remarked resembles that of a canine in terms of sensitivity and a noticeable stinging in one of my eyes tells a different story.

You most likely had your reasons to check the air quality data, unless you receive an alert, when it gets high.

I have yet seen nothing what would make me to check the information about air quality.

What is your experience and which part of the island do you live?

The data from Phuket, for me, says that there is a good possibility that the maintenance of the equipment has not been done the way it should have been. This is, unfortunately, nothing new in this part of the developing world.

The current air quality index in Phuket is 78 which is up from yesterday. That's much higher than anywhere else in the region including KL and Singapore. What's going on? It normally averages much lower than this. When we had the smog from Indonesia a while back this reading would have had visible smoke in the air. But this is something else. A non smoke particulate, but what? And why is it so high here.

Warmer than usual for the season mixed with construction dust from every corner of the island and add increased traffic due to tourist who come here for shopping and cement and you have the reason.

We are not the only place with construction dust. How does the Centre of KL with its millions of cars get a lower reading than Phuket? We must be getting hit from China. Either that or someone is burning rubbish next to the detector. But our reading really stands out compared with others in the region. Elsewhere there appears to be some consistency.

http://aqicn.org/map/thailand/phuket/municipal-health-center-1/m/

We are not the only place with construction dust. How does the Centre of KL with its millions of cars get a lower reading than Phuket? We must be getting hit from China. Either that or someone is burning rubbish next to the detector. But our reading really stands out compared with others in the region. Elsewhere there appears to be some consistency.

It would be nice to hear what is your analysis why that site is showing high numbers for Phuket. So far you have decided to be against anything that could explain the the high numbers.

After all, you started this thread without even showing what your source of information was.

So please, enlighten us with your insight.

It would be nice to hear what is your analysis why that site is showing high numbers for Phuket. So far you have decided to be against anything that could explain the the high numbers.

After all, you started this thread without even showing what your source of information was.

So please, enlighten us with your insight.

Is there something wrong with you? Where do you think I got the AQI figure from? We can both speculate endlessly as to its veracity. Do you have something else to say?

I am currently in New Zealand, having left Patong on January 9th, however just before I left I did post on another thread that I believed there was still some smoke/pollution in the air in Patong and not only could I smell it and feel it in my eyes, I could see it from my apartment against the backdrop of the tree-covered hills.

One poster suggested it was possibly because of local burning of one thing or another, however it was much the same smell (although on lower scale) as that which we had when the Indonesians were burning their forests. I will say that quite a few other people I spoke to were not as aware of it as I was, although one or two did complain of itchy eyes.

I am sincerely hoping that when I return at the end of January the air quality in Patong will be better than when I left!!!!!!

Blimey! I am impressed. Have you ever considered any of these? http://www.thesinusdoctor.com/top-7-well-paid-jobs-you-can-only-get-if-you-have-a-very-good-nose/ coffee1.gif

So the AQI in Phuket is currently 70 and it's 18 at the Victory Monument in the middle of Bangkok. Go figure.

May you step outside our box and take a deep breath? I did this today. First in the middle of Phuket and the air quality was great. Second time one hour later in Phang Nga and wonder what the air quality was exactly the same. So don't panic and relax a bit.

When I lived in North Africa, I swept the floor every second day and ended up with little piles of Sahara sand that was in the air. In Bangkok I do the same and end up with little piles of white dust that looks like cement powder, only in larger quantities than in North Africa.This is all year.

Want to know what's in the air? Sweep your floor and have it analyzed.

481 for Surat Thani has to be a misprint. It is probably 48. 481 would get an emergency response from the military since that is a number

most frequently seen in China and never in Thailand. You cannot imagine air that bad.

I can't believe a 78 reading could cause stinging of the eyes, either. I'm super sensitive but I can still function well outdoors in AQI under 100.

Living in BKK, I see a lot of 70-90 days and they are not a problem. The REALLY bad air starts at about 125 and goes up to 175 here. We

only see those days in the winter when Arctic winds push the crap from China down into Thailand. With this being an El Nino year, we are getting

south winds off the Gulf bringing warm, moist air and keeping the northern winds at bay. As a result, there has been no cool season (until yesterday) and very few 100 days this winter-much cleaner air than winters past.

Chiang Mai has had the smoke start early. Simple enough to prove, one day after getting my car washed it's possible to see a fine patina of particles on the duco.

Probably lucky we have had rain yesterday and today, it's knocking the smoke/smog out. In 7 years here, this is the first time ever I've had to wear a jacket outdoors. Freaking cold.

Not need too be a scientist too see the Air Pollution here in Phuket...

Viset road here in Rawai any day of the week..

Loaded with Sooty smoke blowing Buses,

Poor maintenance Box and pick up trucks speeding around blowing black smoke ,

Long boats and Speed boats Stinking up the air at Rawai beach,

LOCALS burning Plastic and rubber Trash at sunset everyday of the week,

No need for scientific data too see bad air on Phuket.

The list goes on and on,

I would guess it depends on your location and we guys in middle and north phuket have less air pollution. But this is nothing new. Also 10 years ago you need to spend the double or trible time in patong to be grilled like a chicken in the maikhao sun because of more air pollution in patong.

I'm since 3 days in KL and i'm sure the air quality in maikhao or ao por is better.

Archived