Is Pattaya our best base?

mrblonde

Am planning a 10 night holiday in LOS with the mrs and am thinking Pattaya as a base. I've done the whole beer bar thing and walking street 7 or 8 years ago (as a single guy) but now we want to see things during the day like elephants, tigers, crocodiles and monkeys and temples etc. Ive decided on Pattaya as I know it fairly well. Are there places local to Patts to do all of the above?

I know of Sri Racha Tiger zoo, crocodile farm and million year old park, the numerous temples and big gold buddha. Are there any monkey places local too? Only place I saw them years ago was at Nong Nooch Tropical Gardens

She's cool with the beer bar thing so that wont be an issue at night

For wild monkeys in their natural state the "monkey mountain" at Bang Saen is a possibility. It certainly isn't any sort of managed attraction, and it's free.

The monkeys there can be evil little beggars though!

Edited by KittenKong

Why anyone would want to spend their whole holiday in Patttaya is beyond me unless you were coming for the girls.

Wide choice of reasonably priced accommodation.

Very wide choice of reasonably priced places to eat, of all types.

Fairly wide choice of entertainment venues/shops.

Efficient and cheap public transport with fixed prices on standard routes.

One of the driest parts of Thailand (not that you would notice this month).

I would go to Chiangmai If I were you. Pattaya does not have a lot to offer in regards to the things you mentioned. They are mainly tourist traps that are not that great.

Just curious why you wold suggest Chiang Mai. I was there a few months ago and found it very boring.

In my opinion, there are only two things worthy of 'pretty cool' status...

One is the Sanctuary of Truth, it's a pretty amazing wood temple structure completely hand made in Khmer style:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanctuary_of_Truth

The other is the Chinese temple museum called Anek Kuson Sala (Viharnra Sien)

https://www.renown-travel.com/temples/viharn-sien.html

The 'floating market' doesn't seem to be a floating market at all to me, just a tourist trap. I'm not sure how it continues to be as attractive, but it's packed most days.

I would go to Chiangmai If I were you. Pattaya does not have a lot to offer in regards to the things you mentioned. They are mainly tourist traps that are not that great.

Just curious why you wold suggest Chiang Mai. I was there a few months ago and found it very boring.

If you've come from Pattaya and all you are looking for is farang focused bar girls and nightlife, sure, particularly given Loi Kroh is definitely on the decline over the last few years (Thai focused places are still thriving and are open late though).

But if you look at ops criteria (animals, temples, touristy stuff) it fits Chiang Mai perfectly.

Off topic and derogatory posts removed.

Not too far south of Pattaya are many adult attractions:

There is a reserve area very close to the Chinese temple museum mentioned above that has monkeys and bears, the monkeys often sit on the road outside the reserve.sad.png

Nong Nooch is an entire day or maybe two to see it properly.

The new Swiss Sheep farm was full with adults the other day when I was there

Silver Lakes Vineyard is worth a look and has many attractions and a very nice restaurant.

Many elephant farms and elephant trekking in the area as well

I really enjoy riding a motorbike up the mountain to Doi Suthep. The views are very good. I really enjoy the nature in CM.

They have tigers that you can go and see, and get in the cage with (SCARY!). There are numerous places to ride elephants that are out in the jungle. There is a cave that is pretty cool. They have a hot spring that is alright. The weekend market is pretty decent.

For me it has way more to offer on the list that the OP provided.

Why anyone would want to spend their whole holiday in Patttaya is beyond me unless you were coming for the girls.

Wide choice of reasonably priced accommodation.

Very wide choice of reasonably priced places to eat, of all types.

Fairly wide choice of entertainment venues/shops.

Efficient and cheap public transport with fixed prices on standard routes.

One of the driest parts of Thailand (not that you would notice this month).

And proximity to Bangkok.

For wild monkeys in their natural state the "monkey mountain" at Bang Saen is a possibility. It certainly isn't any sort of managed attraction, and it's free.

The monkeys there can be evil little beggars though!

The beach at Bang Saen is quite a contrast to Pattaya's. Well worth a day trip and when the beach operators are closed on a Wednesday in Pattaya (no deck chairs, no umbrellas) Bang Saen is open for business. The trip to monkey mountain won't take up more than an hour of your time.

Is the wife Thai? I cant see any other kind of woman wanting to be in Pattaya for such a long time...........................................................................................................................................hahahahaha

The infrastructure is crumbling in Nakula and Nakula road especially, A Thai family I have known for years have a very nice and cheap guest house in 16/2 , we stay there some of the time we go to Pattaya, Me and the Missus stay in Amari Ocean now and again , the kids ar in their mid teens and dont like coming away with Mum and Dad, so we use the money saved on 2 extra rooms , allows us to get a nice suite up on floors 18 and 19. "Seaview" I find nice but boring , some of the rooms face dolphin round about so you have Sea to the left and Naklua and Pattaya to The Right, looks ok from 170ft in the air

bus from pattaya 6 hour ride to korat and the zoo. bangkok dusit zoo is nice. between pattaya and bangkok is Khao Kheow Open Zoo, buddha mountain and winery outside of town.a flight from utapao to phuket and karon beach is nice. giant buddha overlooking the beach is serene. food is good, water is good for swimming. OF course while in pattaya get a place with a decent pool and some peace and quiet

Don't forget the two recent video posts of keepers striking out at the faces of a tiger and elephant. Both went viral on Thai media, even being castigated by the Thais. Don't support animal cruelty that's even recognised as cruelty by average Thais.

Is this the OP's first trip to Thailand?

Would suggest that Pattaya is an aberration of Thailand, not the real Thailand. I concur with the Chiang Mai (outer environs) or any upcountry medium-to-large city to get a taste of the real Thailand. But even there, stay away from the depressing animal shows. Don't fund animal cruelty.

Edited by Fookhaht