Thai Min to construct bike lane mixed with rubber for 2,000 kms to promote tourism

webfact

[emoji849][emoji848][emoji55][emoji106][emoji122][emoji123]

Thailand's tourism is built on legit and illegitimate sex trade and those kinds of tourists are not likely interested in spending their time on a bicycle out in the country. Some of them may be attracted to smelling the seats though.

There are plenty of "used bikes" for rent in Pattaya at any time of the year.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This I have to see. With people here who can't drive in the correct lane, bikes and cars going the wrong way, call me pessimistic but I can't see a lane being used for bikes only, The pedestrians can't even use the pavement for motorbikes on them. Also with u turns in the right hand side of the lane it will be interesting o see bikes getting over without getting killed. I think this idea has not been thought out properly.

this idea has not been thought out properly.

That proves it's a genuine Thai idea!

A year has passed now, and the powers that be haven't been able to build and open one new elevator at any of Bangkok's BTS stations to accommodate the disabled, despite a court decree obligating them to do so.

And now this OP says the government is going to complete building 2,000 kilometers of new bike lines in multiple different provinces by the end of 2017???? clap2.gifcheesy.gifrolleyes.gif

It's awesome to bike in Thailand, soidogs everywhere, very humid and hot, mosquito's waiting for your sweaty body,it will be a great success!

I cycle almost every day in Thailand, weather is perfect for cycling.

Only problems are the car drivers who expect me to cycle on the side of the road.

No, I'm cycling down the center of my lane where the tarmac is nice and smooth, you can wait, and overtake like you would any other vehicle.

Never had a problem with mosquitoes, Soi dogs aren't a problem, a kick in the teeth as you pass sorts them out.

I guess you don't live in BKK. It's far too hot here in the sun, cyclists come out after dark. And kicking soidogs when wearing slippers is also not a good idea.

If you bike at the centre of the left lane here (or drive motobike) the cars who are slalomming through traffic will pass you very close, then better take the whole left lane for yourself.

It's awesome to bike in Thailand, soidogs everywhere, very humid and hot, mosquito's waiting for your sweaty body,it will be a great success!

I cycle almost every day in Thailand, weather is perfect for cycling.

Only problems are the car drivers who expect me to cycle on the side of the road.

No, I'm cycling down the center of my lane where the tarmac is nice and smooth, you can wait, and overtake like you would any other vehicle.

Never had a problem with mosquitoes, Soi dogs aren't a problem, a kick in the teeth as you pass sorts them out.

A statistic waiting to happen :-(

blink.png

Rubberised Bike Lanes......

I am all for people exercising but to ride a bike in Thaland is paramount to a death wish.

As we are all aware the standard of Car Drivers and Motorbike riders is appalling.

Separate lanes? So, you think the Cars and Motorbikes will adore to that! Never.

Then it states this idea will help the Rubber Farmers.....best just give them the money.

Oh if you get knocked off your 'bike do you bounce off of the rubberised surface!? facepalm.gif

Sarcastic comments ! But they did a really nice bike lane , the Skylane in survanhabumi . And i saw a nice bike lane in Nonthaburi just made few months ago with only bikes and no street stall . I think the idea is really good . I travel à lot by bike in thailand and it is not more dangerous than in France or Spain or even belgium where i did very long trips

I like this idea for Bangkok

Yep I like the idea as well. You anyway have those ugly concrete pillar structure in place, so it should be possible to attach structures on the side to accommodate bicycle and pedestrians. Probably never going to happen unless someone see an opportunity to skim some public funds, but one can always dream.

On the other hand, if anything good to be said about the current government ,is there has been more focus on bicycle use than ever before - alright, they consider bicycle lanes in an area where it is questionable if it will benefit tourism or even if the locals will use it except for parking and motorbikes, but I guess you need to start somewhere?

From Thammasat Rangsit University through the provinces of Pathum Thani, Ayutthaya, Ang Thong, Sing Buri to Chao Phraya Dam in Chai Nat???

2'000 kms?

Just looked in my records: Cycled these 150 kms in one day two years ago.

From Thammasat Rangsit University through the provinces of Pathum Thani, Ayutthaya, Ang Thong, Sing Buri to Chao Phraya Dam in Chai Nat???

2'000 kms?

Just looked in my records: Cycled these 150 kms in one day two years ago.

Maybe the scenic route (if there is one)?

Good start to getting into a health mindset. I hope they follow through and also start looking at nutrition and organic food. Getting rid of all the horrible poly unsaturated and trans fats. I know a lot of you guys sitting on your bar stools with your beer bellies just want to bitch and complain and make fun of anything that the Thais do. Get a life.

Can you eat rubber?

Is it very healthy?

Maybe they should use the rubber to carpet the floor around those bar stools, then when those with beer guts fall off they will bounce back up?

Edited by JAG

Sarcastic comments ! But they did a really nice bike lane , the Skylane in survanhabumi . And i saw a nice bike lane in Nonthaburi just made few months ago with only bikes and no street stall . I think the idea is really good . I travel à lot by bike in thailand and it is not more dangerous than in France or Spain or even belgium where i did very long trips

Theres a good one in my neighborhood in North Bangkok, form Sai Mai to Pahonyothin, off the road,a ll its own. About 6 kilometer one way. Makes for a nice evening jaunt out. Once in a while a motorcycle is on it but that's rare.

Why this sudden (non)bright idea now? To help the rubber farmers? If using rubber makes sense, economically, aesthetically, or from a wear and tear standpoint, great. But why not for other surfaces - parks, running tracks, etc? And why wasn't it done before? On the other hand, if it is nothing but a subsidisation scheme, then the government continues to fail to learn.