Thai Rubber Authority to buy 100,000 tons of rubber from farmers

webfact

Rubber Authority to buy 100,000 tons of rubber from farmers

r.jpg

BANGKOK, 25 January 2015 (NNT) – The Rubber Authority of Thailand will purchase up to 100,000 tons of rubber from Thai farmers, a move to tackle falling prices of rubber in the market.

Permanent-Secretary of the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives Teerapat Prayunsit visited the Rubber Authority of Thailand’s headquarters to inspect its readiness to set up more than 800 stalls nationwide to purchase rubber from Thai farmers.

In order to ensure transparency, the permanent-secretary also invited the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) and the Office of the Auditor General of Thailand to the inspection.

During the period of January 25th to January 30th, approximately 100,000 tons of rubber will be sold to the Rubber Authority of Thailand. All stalls will be open from 8.30 am to 4.30 pm. 400 stalls will be set up in southern provinces, 30 stalls in the east, 200 stalls in the northeast, and another 200 stalls in the northern region.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-25 footer_n.gif

Give all tourists on arrival and departure an obligatory pack of one kg original Thai rubber. Charge them 360 baht for it. Back home they can give it away as f.i. a birthday present. That should help the industry. Wait... hasn't something similar been thought of before? Did it work?

Give all tourists on arrival and departure an obligatory pack of one kg original Thai rubber. Charge them 360 baht for it. Back home they can give it away as f.i. a birthday present. That should help the industry. Wait... hasn't something similar been thought of before? Did it work?

with TAT slogan of slumbering in your seat with a Thai rubber pillow in your neck dreaming of your next vacation in Thailand smile.png

BTW how much hand luggage do airlines allow you nowadays?

I am sure i read somewhere that it is not tapping season at the moment so the people with rubber on hand are mainly the middle men who bought up rubber stocks cheap - anyone more knowledgeable on the subject that can spread some light?

I am sure i read somewhere that it is not tapping season at the moment so the people with rubber on hand are mainly the middle men who bought up rubber stocks cheap - anyone more knowledgeable on the subject that can spread some light?

There is always middle men. Rubber , Rice , Pineapples, etc.etc. No government can go to 3,000 farmers and buy 50 kg each.

But it looks like the Government really doesn't need the rubber.

It is still tapping season in the northeast, at least for a few more weeks.

Prayut's generosity:

2014 - Prayut allocated Bt5 billion for a subsidy of Bt2,520 per rai and a credit facility worth Bt5 billion to shore up rubber prices

2015 - Prayut allocated Bt12 billion to "help owners and workers of rubber plantations."

vs

2016 - Prayut pays about Bt0.9 billion (based on Bt10 /kg subsidy) to shore up rubber prices.

There's till plenty of room for rubber farmers to extract more support from Prayut this year. With a referendum on the draft constitution and national elections scheduled for 2017, I'd say Bt1 billion per month for 2016 in additional subsidies will help encourage rubber farmer loyalty. It's not like those funds come from the military budget or that the NLA would refuse more government borrowing.

Wasn't the "rubber on hand" an idea by the Tourist Authority of Thailand and recently adopted by the UK Home Office for asylum seekers ?

'bout another 2-3 weeks tapping in the north and NE.

A latex memory foam airplane neck support for every tourist as they leave from there

vacation in Thailand, so they return home refreshed and ready to work. Add the cost to

the airline ticket tax under Thai Rubber Farmer support program. Charge 1000 baht,

300 baht for the cost of rubber and manufacturing, 700 baht to skim for officials. tongue.png

Well,this scheme is for SOME growers;not for all. You have to be a landowner.In NE many are not,although they have used the land for generations.You also have to be making matts,something we in NE don`t do.And if you can find out WHERE the buying station is,you have to make a trip x km to it,which perhaps will cost you more than the profit you get from selling max 150 kg rubber at a price ca 10 baht/kg higher than "normal".And spend the better part of the day doing so! This,like the schemes earlier,is worth nothing for the poorest farmers;the ones who alledgely are supposed to be the ones who it is meant fore...Well,well,no surprise. BTW,I agree with those who say that rubber,like other commodities,has to follow the market.But IF a government steps in,it should try to make it in a correct way and not favour some over others!

Yes we are in the three months where do to cold weather you can not harvest rubber from trees. Even if you could what good would it do you when the price per kilo dropped from 28 to present 13 baht a kilo? I have 24 ria of mature rubber trees in Nong Kai but I told the family to go do other work as no one can make money to live on at 13 baht a kilo.

with TAT slogan of slumbering in your seat with a Thai rubber pillow in your neck dreaming of your next vacation in Thailand smile.png

BTW how much hand luggage do airlines allow you nowadays?

There's another good idea... and throw in a kilo of authentic ricescheme warehouse rice... 400 baht only. Should be a collector's item soon.

The number of kilos allowed depends on the ticket you purchase.