Which visa should I apply for ?

Hello all,

I am English 50 years old married to a Thai and have a 3 year old son with my wife who live near Aranyaprathet while I am in the UK.

I have been doing my house up for a while now to sell it,I have just accepted a offer so when everything is completed I want to go to stay in Thailand with my wife and son for at least 1 year but I haven't got any proof of income for the last 12 months with doing work on the house and living of savings so which visa should I apply for ?

I haven't got a Thai bank account yet if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Edited by jlaw666

The non-immigrant visa category O, non-O visa for short, valid for multiple entries seem best suited for your situation. With this visa, you will get permission to stay for 90 days on every entry in Thailand, which means you will have to make a border run every 90 days.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa that will allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

You can get one based upon marriage from the embassy in London and most of the consulates (not at Hull) with no financial proof). You can apply for it by post at the embassy but only in person at the consulates.

You can also get it in Savannakhet Laos with no financial proof.

To apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration requires 400k baht in a Thai bank for two months in your name only or proof of 40k baht income for about 3 months (one year is not required).

Hello again,

I got this from the Thai Consulate in Liverpool, which is what I need

Non-Immigrant Visa category ‘O’ (£50 single entry / £125 multiple entry)
This type of visa is for:-

• People visiting family – i.e. men who are married to a Thai National, along with your visa application you must produce your marriage certificate and a translation of the certificate is required as evidence. A single entry visa is valid for 90 days and can be extended for a further 30 days. A multiple entry visa is valid for 12 months conditional on leaving Thailand for 48 hours every 90 days.

Can I send a copy of my Thai marriage certificate, the original is in Thailand.

Thanks again for your help.

Hello again,

I got this from the Thai Consulate in Liverpool, which is what I need

Non-Immigrant Visa category ‘O’ (£50 single entry / £125 multiple entry)

This type of visa is for:-

• People visiting family – i.e. men who are married to a Thai National, along with your visa application you must produce your marriage certificate and a translation of the certificate is required as evidence. A single entry visa is valid for 90 days and can be extended for a further 30 days. A multiple entry visa is valid for 12 months conditional on leaving Thailand for 48 hours every 90 days.

Can I send a copy of my Thai marriage certificate, the original is in Thailand.

Thanks again for your help.

They might accept a copy when you apply in person.The consulates cannot accept mail in applications.

Only the embassy can do mail in application and will do the multiple entry non-o visa based upon marriage also.

There is some wrong info in what you posted. There is no 30 day extension of a non immigrant visa. You do not have stay out of the country 48 hours to get a new 90 day entry.

Hello ubonjoe,

I will be sending for my visa by post to the London embassy but I am still confused what i need to send.

Can you correct me if I am wrong.

Signed application form

2 photo's

My passport

The fee

A copy of the marriage certificate ? (on the form it said copy)

A copy my wife's birth certificate

A copy of my wife's passport or id card

On that site this is what is listed and on the downloaded form-

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/401

In the case of settlement in Thailand with Thai spouse/ Children/ Parents(Non-immigrant "O"): photo copy certificate of marriage, birth, Thai nationality passport/Thai ID card.(please do not send the original)

When I get to Thailand I want to open a Thai bank account immediately and put 400k baht in it,would that give me enough time to apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration if I only get a single entry or should I get the multiple visa you think ?

Thanks for your help and patience.

Hello ubonjoe,

I will be sending for my visa by post to the London embassy but I am still confused what i need to send.

Can you correct me if I am wrong.

Signed application form

2 photo's

My passport

The fee

A copy of the marriage certificate ? (on the form it said copy)

A copy my wife's birth certificate

A copy of my wife's passport or id card

On that site this is what is listed and on the downloaded form-

http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/401

In the case of settlement in Thailand with Thai spouse/ Children/ Parents(Non-immigrant "O"): photo copy certificate of marriage, birth, Thai nationality passport/Thai ID card.(please do not send the original)

When I get to Thailand I want to open a Thai bank account immediately and put 400k baht in it,would that give me enough time to apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration if I only get a single entry or should I get the multiple visa you think ?

Thanks for your help and patience.

Your wife's birth certificate is not required. If you have a copy of her house book registry include it also. It appears to be both the passport and ID card copies. Looking at info on this page. http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49 But ignore the erroneous income proof requirement that they do not ask for.

If you plan on applying for an extension a single entry non-o is all you need. If for some reason you needed more than the 90 days to get ready for the extension you could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife.

Thanks ubonjoe,

think I have everything i need for the 'o' visa but got a few more questions.

Once I open the Thai bank account and put 400k baht in it, could I apply for the one year extension of stay at Aranyaprathet in the last 30 days which is nearest to my family house ?

I was hoping to get a one way ticket, can i or would they refuse to let me fly without a return or onward travel?

But if I can get a one way ticket what do I put for departure travel on the visa form ?

Thanks ubonjoe,

think I have everything i need for the 'o' visa but got a few more questions.

Once I open the Thai bank account and put 400k baht in it, could I apply for the one year extension of stay at Aranyaprathet in the last 30 days which is nearest to my family house ?

I was hoping to get a one way ticket, can i or would they refuse to let me fly without a return or onward travel?

But if I can get a one way ticket what do I put for departure travel on the visa form ?

The money will have to be in the bank for 2 months when you apply for the extension which means you will need to do it shortly after you arrive.. You would apply at the immigration office in Aranyaprathet if you will be living in Sa Kaeo province.

If you have a visa a return or onward ticket is not required. I have never put flight information on the departure card. Just my name and passport number.

• 3 months later...

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa that will allow unlimited 90 day entries for a year.

You can get one based upon marriage from the embassy in London and most of the consulates (not at Hull) with no financial proof). You can apply for it by post at the embassy but only in person at the consulates.

To apply for a one year extension of stay at immigration requires 400k baht in a Thai bank for two months in your name only or proof of 40k baht income for about 3 months (one year is not required).

This is interesting, if that's not a (rare) mistake from you Joe, it means that I can't apply for a Non 'O' in person at the Royal Thai Embassy in London??

This is interesting, if that's not a (rare) mistake from you Joe, it means that I can't apply for a Non 'O' in person at the Royal Thai Embassy in London??

It means applying by post is an option but not at the consulates. You can apply in person.

It means applying by post is an option but not at the consulates. You can apply in person.

Understood :)

• 1 year later...

I'm about to go back to the UK to apply for another Non O visa, I'm wondering if anything has changed since my last application, I'll be taking the following;

Visa app form

2 photos

Original and photocopy of our marriage certificate

Original and photocopy of our son's birth certificate

Photocopies of my wife's ID card

Photocopies of our son's ID card

Signed photocopies of my wife's passport

Do the photocopies of my wife's ID card need to be signed?

My wife's passport has expired, but I thought that just the ID card photocopy would be sufficient.

Any thoughts?

11 hours ago, MaiDong said:

My wife's passport has expired, but I thought that just the ID card photocopy would be sufficient.

You could also attach a copy of her house book registry or the expired passport.

12 minutes ago, YetAnother said:

i bet more than a few people gloss over this detail

Why quote a post from almost a year and half ago and chop it down to 4 words?

On 1/25/2016 at 7:30 AM, ubonjoe said: