Best alternative to iPad?

cheeryble

Question:

I have loads and loads of Notes in the built in Apple app

Are these transferable to a new Mini without the hassle of emailing them all to myself?

I did ask about transfer from old to new generally and was told Photos etc they will do but not all apps I buy guess that'll be a job hope I've got passwords. (must consider Lastpass)

Yes, sync them to your iCloud account and they will sync with all your devices once you have signed them in to your iCloud account. That same is true for reminders, calendars, keychain passwords, Safari bookmarks and contacts as well, so long as you have enabled them in your iCloud prefs.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Question:

Are these transferable to a new Mini without the hassle of emailing them all to myself?

I did ask about transfer from old to new generally and was told Photos etc they will do but not all apps I buy guess that'll be a job hope I've got passwords. (must consider Lastpass)

Yes, sync them to your iCloud account and they will sync with all your devices once you have signed them in to your iCloud account. That same is true for reminders, calendars, keychain passwords, Safari bookmarks and contacts as well, so long as you have enabled them in your iCloud prefs.

I guess that means I've actually got to start paying for iCloud as the free bit's full? :-0

if your free iCloud space is full and you just want to use it to sync the above, you could delete whatever is taking up all the space, probably photos if you have photo syncing on. Or you can pay US$2/month for 50 GB of iCloud storage.

It's true.

It was ridiculously overpriced to extend it for the first couple of years then they about halved the premium though personally I don't bother any more.

ps wonder if it covers a dropped iPad with a broken screen. I like minimum size and weight and never use a protective cover.

I have never paid for extra Apple Care yet Apple still fix my stuff.

They even fixed my five year old G5 FOC as it turned out to be a known fault.

One of the big things about Apple is the resale value of any of its products and that one can be useful.

I have three original iPads that I bought for a particular job that still do that job. I just can't upgrade them but I have no need for that. Most of my iPads are 2s that I use for the business with my own app and I also have a couple of minis. All work fine and upgrade fine and work well with the latest ios.

Anything I buy that is new will have touch ID. Excellent.

Question:

I guess that means I've actually got to start paying for iCloud as the free bit's full? :-0

I think you need to learn how to use iCloud. Watch some of the tutorials on Apple.com or YouTube. You don't need to back up your photos using iCloud, which will save space for most people, but there is also an option where you can sync them across all devices using lower resolution. This is what I do and I have over 1000 photos and have not even used 2gb of my total free 5gb storage.

You can also use google photos app to store your photos in the cloud, this works automatically across all devices & is free, unlimited storage.

Once you set up iCloud you can work seamlessly between your apple devices. No need to email yourself anything as everything syncs automatically, contacts, notes & whatever else you select.

Oh yes - Touch ID, excellent.

Edited by DMC1

I think you need to learn how to use iCloud. Watch some of the tutorials on Apple.com or YouTube. You don't need to back up your photos using iCloud, which will save space for most people, but there is also an option where you can sync them across all devices using lower resolution. This is what I do and I have over 1000 photos and have not even used 2gb of my total free 5gb storage.

You can also use google photos app to store your photos in the cloud, this works automatically across all devices & is free, unlimited storage.

Once you set up iCloud you can work seamlessly between your apple devices. No need to email yourself anything as everything syncs automatically, contacts, notes & whatever else you select.

Oh yes - Touch ID, excellent.

I think you're right DMC I will learn ASAP

For now can I ask: is it possible....to save space.....to have a selection of photos.....say the latest three months or reference photos....on iPad but have the lot on the Macbook as a full library. (yeah, I know they could be in iCloud or Google photos but then one HAS to be online right?

ps very interested about keeping lower resolution images. Are they good enough for say advertising something we wanted to sell like a bike, a Persian rug, or a house where one would want a certain amount of crispness but doesn't have to be finely pixellated in a huge size?

post-106512-14540461530576_thumb.jpg

Note the options in the attachment. Set up iCloud and try this to see how much space you have left. I actually have 800 photos plus some videos (not 1000) & it only uses 1.8gb of my overall iCloud 5gb. This 1.8gb also includes all my other iCloud backed up apps like notes, Safari, contacts etc.

The lower resolution photos are perfectly fine whether using google photos or Apple iCloud & if necessary you can get a full resolution version off the iCloud version but tbh for what you've suggested, this won't be really necessary - note the comments in the screen shot under the 'optimised iPad storage' tab.

If I ever end up using my free iCloud allowance then I would keep photos that I really don't want to delete somewhere else, or pay for the upgrade. Google photos, however, is perfect for me at present & keeps perfectly good copies for free.

Just to add for iCloud for your question about visible photos in your library - I think you can choose which photos are visible in your library & can probably set this up in iCloud from your MacBook if you look in your iPhoto/iCloud options.

Edited by DMC1

Thanks DMC I have the settings already as you show.

Sounds like you're saying the low res photos are good enough for all everyday purposes.....good news.

I have Google photos set up I think better go through and check all that this weekend.

Cool, no probs. Now go and get that mini 4!

A question:

I tend to be writing an email on the Macbook Air and suddenly realise a photo I need to insert is in the iPad, and then need to mail to myself to put in Air mail.

If I have an android tablet can I synch both that and the Macbook Air to Google Photo or some Google Cloud and have all pics available quickly?

Dropbox

Apple at last got some money out of me.

I bit the bullet and forked out the huge sum of 99c for 50gb iCloud and started learning off youtube.

Funnily enough my dysfunctional iPad mini 1 has worked flawlessly today for two or three hours.....but whatever happens I need to know this stuff and I need a reliable iPad.

Couldn't see how to de-res photos in settings going to google it now.

Edit:

DMC you're not talking about the very die-resolevd photos on the iPad which need to load from iCloud are you.

They often seem to take a while to load and as my iPad has not 3g if I want to show/explain something out in the field with a photo it's not possible

Edited by cheeryble

I bit the bullet and forked out the huge sum of 99c for 50gb iCloud and started learning off youtube.

Funnily enough my dysfunctional iPad mini 1 has worked flawlessly today for two or three hours.....but whatever happens I need to know this stuff and I need a reliable iPad.

For the 'de-res' of photos I meant use the optimise iPad/iPhone storage selection - sorry for confusion. Original size copies will be kept on iCloud storage, if needed.

For the 'de-res' of photos I meant use the optimise iPad/iPhone storage selection - sorry for confusion. Original size copies will be kept on iCloud storage, if needed.

Whoops I edited my last post I guess you've answered that.

It's still a problem really and emphasises the need to have a smaller full res collection on the iPad, and how one does that if connected to iCloud.

Could iCloud turn out to be the problem rather than the solution (melodramatic organ music da-da!!)

Whoops I edited my last post I guess you've answered that.

It's still a problem really and emphasises the need to have a smaller full res collection on the iPad, and how one does that if connected to iCloud.

Could iCloud turn out to be the problem rather than the solution (melodramatic organ music da-da!!)

I suppose if you really need to keep some full-res photos on a particular device, & you don't think you will have internet connection, then you could put them in a separate folder, in your particular devices photo app beforehand. Either make a new album or select them as favourites, if using apple photo app. For example, in my favourite album I keep copies of my passport & any relevant certs for work. These are then visible in full res on my iPhone or iPad with or without Internet connection.

Note: even on 2g or slow connection I do find all my older photos tend to load fairly quick really, if do I happen to have a scroll through some older photos.

Edited by DMC1

To be clear DMC you're saying "favourite" photos stay full resolution?

(as he thinks how to make them favourites ......then looks.....press the heart button?)

ps I'm checking this with an oldish photo which is very de-ressed and it took over a half minute on a decent 3BB connection to fully load.

Yes I pressed the heart and its now in Favourites.

I shall reboot tonight and see if it is full res (not that I don't believe you!!

Also thinking how to do this quickly with say several hundred pics.

May be can do on a "select" page

Thanks again and I'm off out now

Have you thought about the new Surface Pro 4? I had a demo on one a few weeks ago, it was unbelievable. The one I tested had an I7 intel chip with 16gb RAM and a 512gb HDD. Probably more high spec than what you're looking for and also very expensive. Can be set up for use as a tablet and a laptop.

I have the Surface Pro 3 and love it. The SP 4 has very good reviews I don't normally like Microsoft items but in this case it is great, My colleagues at work were impressed too. It so thin and powerful I must admit this publicly but Windows 10 works great I never thought I would move from my beloved Windows 7 Pro but I upgraded all my machines W10. I still like Android the best for phones I find it much less of a hassle not having to use i-Tunes and for people who keep spouting crap about there apps please stop reading reviews that are years old. Android apps are on par and there is more apps for android than ios. Sure some are better on itunes but others are better in the play store.

The only thing I don't like about the Surface Pro is that it can't be charged via USB. I fly all over the world for business and love using it on the flight but there is no way of recharging it if the aircraft has only USB. Some of the new aircraft have regular power sockets under the seats.

To be clear DMC you're saying "favourite" photos stay full resolution?

(as he thinks how to make them favourites ......then looks.....press the heart button?)

ps I'm checking this with an oldish photo which is very de-ressed and it took over a half minute on a decent 3BB connection to fully load.

Yes I pressed the heart and its now in Favourites.

I shall reboot tonight and see if it is full res (not that I don't believe you!!

Also thinking how to do this quickly with say several hundred pics.

May be can do on a "select" page

Thanks again and I'm off out now

I think they stay full res in favourites, I haven't noticed any lag when opening the favourites but I am never really away from Internet connection when I access this, even when I'm out on site somewhere. Anyway, your thread is getting a bit side tracked here, so I'll keep my gob shut!

Have you thought about the new Surface Pro 4? I had a demo on one a few weeks ago, it was unbelievable. The one I tested had an I7 intel chip with 16gb RAM and a 512gb HDD. Probably more high spec than what you're looking for and also very expensive. Can be set up for use as a tablet and a laptop.

I have the Surface Pro 3 and love it. The SP 4 has very good reviews I don't normally like Microsoft items but in this case it is great, My colleagues at work were impressed too. It so thin and powerful I must admit this publicly but Windows 10 works great I never thought I would move from my beloved Windows 7 Pro but I upgraded all my machines W10. I still like Android the best for phones I find it much less of a hassle not having to use i-Tunes and for people who keep spouting crap about there apps please stop reading reviews that are years old. Android apps are on par and there is more apps for android than ios. Sure some are better on itunes but others are better in the play store.

The only thing I don't like about the Surface Pro is that it can't be charged via USB. I fly all over the world for business and love using it on the flight but there is no way of recharging it if the aircraft has only USB. Some of the new aircraft have regular power sockets under the seats.

I fancied a look at this too. Out of interest have you actually used any IOS devices? Nowadays this iTunes business is really a non-issue, certainly for me, doesn't really restrict me at all. I have no probs with Android & defo interested in giving these new Windows devices a go but it will take something impressive to get me away from IOS devices, for what I need anyway.

Amazingly the defective iPad has been working perfectly at least 48 hours.

In the meantime a friend gave me an old Asus tablet about near 8 inch to try out it has some good maps in it and Thai language app and Vuze quite useful not highly pixelated screen and no camera but quite useful

Edited by cheeryble

I fancied a look at this too. Out of interest have you actually used any IOS devices? Nowadays this iTunes business is really a non-issue, certainly for me, doesn't really restrict me at all. I have no probs with Android & defo interested in giving these new Windows devices a go but it will take something impressive to get me away from IOS devices, for what I need anyway.
Yes my kids each have Ipads I just hate uploading movies for my youngest. They have to be converted first, the I had to buy a third party program to get past iTunes to upload them. Android is so easy just drag it across same as Windows 10. I don't even have Song's software on my computer. Android doesn't need it everything backs up online by itself.

This is like comparing catholics with protestants (in religion).

Many similarities but people take sides! Each to their own, advantages and disadvantages to both Android and Apple. Choose what suits you (or "floats your boat"). wai.gif

I've been thinking since this problem with the iPad started this thread.

The problem was that the screen wold go crazy, it would type at random itself, change apps itself, turn on Siri itself.

This started after a digitiser (screen) replacement

In fact I got it replaced twice at 1500t a go.

It had worked at first then started the haywire stuff..

But sporadic, just had three good days which is why I haven't rushed to replace.

It's occurred to me that this happening with the replacement digitiser is not coincidence and I had thought about something around the edge of the screen shorting out sporadically.

I had the sense to look on youtube today and indeed it looks like when the digitiser is peeled off it can pull adhesive/padding/insulation with it.

all that's needed is a few little bits of tape to go over some exposed metal parts. One chap used insulating tape one

post-120824-0-60303900-1454565721_thumb.

post-120824-0-54214800-1454565790_thumb.

even just used Scotch tape.

I've a mind to do this myself, only trouble the last replacement digi got a crack in it.

This was because I was suspecting something wrong underneath the edge and had gone round pressing and bending the mini a bit......well a bit too much.

Now a crack per se doesn't matter much i ran mine for a year with cracks, but just wondering if the screen will lever up with without the crack breaking worse.

Alternatively where I can get the cheapest digitiser replacement in CM?

Perhaps best to take it back the the last replacer and get him to open it up and take a look if tape can be used, but it might just be worth forking out yet again....forget my previous losses and get a good working iPad mini for 1500 baht.

It would be satisfying to get it running again even if storage is minimal it could go to my niece or something.

Edited by cheeryble

Went back to the (very nice) repairer and told him my research about insulating with tape.

He was ahead of the curve he said was well aware of this problem and pre-taped his digitizers he showed me one and had also used the best tape I forget it's name but the right one .

He said the digitizers were in fact guaranteed he will replace but cannot if cracked.

I took a chance and had him do it again......am using it now next day.

He pointed out a very slight curve along one side of the mini and said be very careful not to press the glass it is prone to breaking like this.

Of course in the past I've been quite brutal with it treated it like a battle axe and never had a cover hate the extra weight.

We live in hope.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic, I am on the market for a 7- 8" tablet but are still not sure if I should spend all that money on a Ipad mini2 or just go cheap, hmm.

Last time I bought cheap, I got crapbiggrin.png

Onda 792 which my 6 year old son is using sometimes, wi-fi is very bad, battery is bad too, slow, not good but okay it's must be 3-4 years old now.