Best alternative to iPad?

cheeryble

Always had Mac and still have Macbook Air.

Will stay with Mac for my laptop for good I reckon.

As for tablet my iPad Mini 2 16gb is experiencing problems after broken screen replacement and too small storage and considering a change to Android (or other if I can be convinced).

So interested in a 7 inch (ish) tablet....what should I buy?

Parameters:

No high spec needed and I'm aware I can use microSD with most or all so storage shouldn't be an issue (an advantage over iPad)

I don't play games so no super speed required but obviously don't want a slug would prefer speed to be limited by internet connection.

I do normal stuff like email and browsing.

I skype and listen to podcasts.

I use my tablet for notes and lists a lot.

I would like to be able to back up regularly.

I use my tablet for Line.

A half decent camera comparable to the iPad would be good as that's how I take my pics.

....and all the normal stuff.

iPad has had an excellent battery still perfect and good life after years.

What would be a decent quality durable (it's in my side pocket all the time) non Apple model at a terrific price smile.png ?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Asus Fonepad works good , takes a sim card for data or calling and has an SD card to add memory.....

I think the data sim card is worth the trouble unless you can tether from your smart phone ,

I am happy with mine smile.png

ohh and for the price a Amazon Fire 7 inch tablet at $50 in the USA is a good deal after you add Google playstore ( takes 10 minutes)

Edited by BKKdreaming

Thanks for all the suggestions

Last one first

Have you thought about an Android/Windows dual boot tablet?

http://www.banggood.com/search/chuwi-8-dual-boot.html

I haven't got one myself but a mate has got the 10.6 inch version and raves about it.

I looked at the

Chuwi HI8 Intel Z3736F Quad Core 8 Inch Dual Boot Tablet

http://www.banggood.com/Chuwi-HI8-Intel-Z3736F-Quad-Core-8-Inch-Dual-Boot-Tablet-p-980536.html

Looks like remarkable value at 3653baht against iPad 2 11,700baht.

It's kinda tempting.

Specs....battery cap, resolution, thickness, etc mostly a bit less than iPad 2 except weight a wee bit better. good for price.

One weakness may be only 2mp rear camera against iPad 5mp and thats over two years old model.

I love the photos I get on my iPad 1 (upgradeable with an app).....don't even own a real camera anymore) and wonder if 2mp will do the job and if the processing of the images is as good (example took a pic of an osteopath;s signboard last night to record details in near dark. It was easy to read on the iPhoto image....easier than in real life!

Note...a friend was talking about what to buy yesterday and he said don't buy less than 3gb RAM in a year it will be needed.

The CHuwi had 2gb.

The iPad surprisingly has only 1gb....but I've an idea it runs a clever system to need less. (comments from geeks?)

Note to self:

If I buy the iPad I expect 2-3 years of use from it. Will RAM be enough in the future? Will RAM consuming apps tempt me?

Decision:

The Chuwi looks a terrific little cheap tablet but I want the photo quality better.

DISCARD!!

Edited by cheeryble

Asus Fonepad works good , takes a sim card for data or calling and has an SD card to add memory.....

I think the data sim card is worth the trouble unless you can tether from your smart phone ,

ohh and for the price a Amazon Fire 7 inch tablet at $50 in the USA is a good deal after you add Google playstore ( takes 10 minutes)

Pro:

Heard Asus is good and price low and slightly smaller ain't bad.

Yes would like to have a SIM and be able to use as phone and have SIM internet connection as my phone is basic.

Price 6900bt

Contra:

frame to screen ratio looks high.....ie big frame small screen.

Whoa.

Just seen screen resolution 1080x1920.......ameliorated a little by smaller screen

iPad mini 2 is 1536x2048 and Samsung S8 also much higher.

Thanks

I went for a Switch from my iPhone 5... I wondered if I was becoming somewhat of an Apple Fanboy... others mentioned that the competition was better so I went for a HTC One (M8), had it for a month and hated it. I switched to a Samsung S5, I had that for about 4 months and was not impressed. For a year now I've had the iPhone 6+ and never looked back.

When looking for an up grade of my iPad Mini (1st Gen) I also looked at the other Products but soon realised they were inferior* - remembering what happened with my phones the decision to switch to a iPadAir 2 was a fairly simple one which I have not regretted.

It looks like I'm an Apple Fanboy - and I guess I am, but for good reason...

*IMO - others I'm sure will disagree which is why there is a healthy market out there.

A question:

I tend to be writing an email on the Macbook Air and suddenly realise a photo I need to insert is in the iPad, and then need to mail to myself to put in Air mail.

If I have an android tablet can I synch both that and the Macbook Air to Google Photo or some Google Cloud and have all pics available quickly?

Edited by cheeryble

I went for a Switch from my iPhone 5... I wondered if I was becoming somewhat of an Apple Fanboy... others mentioned that the competition was better so I went for a HTC One (M8), had it for a month and hated it. I switched to a Samsung S5, I had that for about 4 months and was not impressed. For a year now I've had the iPhone 6+ and never looked back.

When looking for an up grade of my iPad Mini (1st Gen) I also looked at the other Products but soon realised they were inferior* - remembering what happened with my phones the decision to switch to a iPadAir 2 was a fairly simple one which I have not regretted.

It looks like I'm an Apple Fanboy - and I guess I am, but for good reason...

*IMO - others I'm sure will disagree which is why there is a healthy market out there.

Richard could you please buy a Samsung S8 today and let me know how you get on.

Does anyone think the iPad mini 2 will be low specced in the next 3 years?

Samsung S8

That looks like a contender if battery has good life which I dare say it does.

Price in Thailand?

I am curious, what is the battery life of Samsung S8?

My mini ipad-1 had 13 hours of battery life until the IOS 9 update, now I only have 9 hours of battery life, found out just after the update. The Samsung S8 looks very good, lighter than mini ipad.

The ASUS Zenphone line is just amazing!

iPad - decent hardware and reliable OS. Regular updates and security fixes. iPad mini not much difference in price to Android tablets.

Android - Wide choice but big variation in quality of tablets. Almost all will be slow (if at all) at sending out OS updates and security fixes. Most software built for phone, smaller tablet market means apps may not be optimised for larger tablet screens.

Windows 10 - it's a mess. A legacy desktop OS with touch screen control bolted on. Terrible quality app store so you will end up using desktop apps not built for touch with tiny controls. Avoid.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Last one first

Have you thought about an Android/Windows dual boot tablet?

http://www.banggood.com/search/chuwi-8-dual-boot.html

I haven't got one myself but a mate has got the 10.6 inch version and raves about it.

I looked at the

Chuwi HI8 Intel Z3736F Quad Core 8 Inch Dual Boot Tablet

http://www.banggood.com/Chuwi-HI8-Intel-Z3736F-Quad-Core-8-Inch-Dual-Boot-Tablet-p-980536.html

Looks like remarkable value at 3653baht against iPad 2 11,700baht.

It's kinda tempting.

Specs....battery cap, resolution, thickness, etc mostly a bit less than iPad 2 except weight a wee bit better. good for price.

One weakness may be only 2mp rear camera against iPad 5mp and thats over two years old model.

I love the photos I get on my iPad 1 (upgradeable with an app).....don't even own a real camera anymore) and wonder if 2mp will do the job and if the processing of the images is as good (example took a pic of an osteopath;s signboard last night to record details in near dark. It was easy to read on the iPhoto image....easier than in real life!

Note...a friend was talking about what to buy yesterday and he said don't buy less than 3gb RAM in a year it will be needed.

The CHuwi had 2gb.

The iPad surprisingly has only 1gb....but I've an idea it runs a clever system to need less. (comments from geeks?)

Note to self:

If I buy the iPad I expect 2-3 years of use from it. Will RAM be enough in the future? Will RAM consuming apps tempt me?

Decision:

The Chuwi looks a terrific little cheap tablet but I want the photo quality better.

DISCARD!!

Maybe the Google Camera app will give you a better pic?

First of all commiserations to the OP, you made a mistake and bought an iPad but dont worry there are lots of good ones out there. Have you tried Samsung? Excellent tablets and in my opinion far better than the iPad. Check them out you may like them

I like Android as an OS, but honestly the quality of MOST applications is an issue. I have always liked the iPad and you can get an adaptor to allow you to copy stuff to a flash drive and/or a microSD card.

If you had never used an iPad you may be OK with Android apps, but having used an iPad you may find it a problem.

Don't get me wrong, Android has its advantages, for example there are some great TV apps that run on Android, but for what you say you want to do I cannot help but suspect that an iPad is best.

Buy another ipad that has never had a screen replacement. Ipad is best, it cannot compare to any other tablet...

3 days after a screen replacement my iPad started to malfunction, took it back they said it needed new batteries, no problem fit some, went to collect it, they could not source any batteries. I eventually had it repaired at another dealer, batteries ok but new processor required !

Have you thought about the new Surface Pro 4? I had a demo on one a few weeks ago, it was unbelievable. The one I tested had an I7 intel chip with 16gb RAM and a 512gb HDD. Probably more high spec than what you're looking for and also very expensive. Can be set up for use as a tablet and a laptop.

I like Android as an OS, but honestly the quality of MOST applications is an issue. I have always liked the iPad and you can get an adaptor to allow you to copy stuff to a flash drive and/or a microSD card.

If you had never used an iPad you may be OK with Android apps, but having used an iPad you may find it a problem.

Don't get me wrong, Android has its advantages, for example there are some great TV apps that run on Android, but for what you say you want to do I cannot help but suspect that an iPad is best.

Technologybytes hi

could you provide a link to this adaptor and copying stuff to external storage?

How does one go about it?

To anyone

I have a "pen" for drawing on the iPad

I got a slimmest smallish one but would love one with a proper point more like the S Pen.

Is possible for iPad?

Edited by cheeryble