Lawyers Council to appeal Koh Tao convicts’ death sentence

webfact

"Police Colonel Prathoom Ruangtong, who initially took charge of the investigation, after the bodies of the pair were found on Sairee Beach in Koh Tao, last September,

confirmed the two Burmese immigrant workers had not been provided with their own lawyers."

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/koh_tao_murder_trial_defendents_did_not_have_representation_during_interrogations_court_hears_1_4211590

Just what bearing does this have on the case if they killed David and Hannah.

This is simply a technicality or unfortunate oversight, if true.

Say, someone overtly went on a rampage in America and killed 15 people in a school, posting a video on U tube to air after after the killings saying what he had planned to do. If he didn't have a lawyer representing him at all times, should they release him as a consequence of failing to provide one? Does it make him less guilty of his crime? A lawyer cannot reverse what they did, can he.

If...if...if...

If my grandmother had wheels, she would be a bus!

And what has your "example" to do with the actual case, we are discussing?

Apart from the fact, that I think, even in a case like the one in your example, the accused should be represented by a lawyer - it is just common sense- none of what you describe, even remotely happened on Koh Tao.

So why don't you stop your trolling?

Why don't you stop accusing people of being trolls - or supertrollls (as you described TimmyT) after a perfectly normal and reasonable post on another topic.

I'm beginning to think that you have got 'trollitis' whereby you are permanently confused and see everybody else in the world as a troll. I hope that these nightmares you have about trolls are not too scary!!

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Standard 2.6 Retention of DNA evidence

(a) Property containing DNA evidence obtained in the investigation of an unsolved homicide, rape or other serious offense, and the extract from such evidence, if any has been obtained, should be retained in a manner that will preserve the DNA evidence. A jurisdiction should promulgate written rules in all cases, which should require authorization of the prosecutor before the property or extract is destroyed or discarded.

(B) Property containing DNA evidence obtained in an investigation which has resulted in the prosecution of a person or persons for homicide, rape or other serious offense, and the extract from such evidence, if any has been obtained, should be retained in a manner that will preserve the DNA evidence until all persons charged have been convicted of an offense, or adjudicated as having engaged in conduct constituting such an offense, and have exhausted their appeals and served their sentences or commitments. If retention of a particular piece of property containing DNA evidence is impractical, reasonable care should be taken to retain representative samples of those portions of the property that contain DNA evidence.

http://www.americanbar.org/publications/criminal_justice_section_archive/crimjust_standards_dnaevidence.html#2.6

The United Nations

Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment

Adopted and opened for signature, ratification and accession by General Assembly resolution 39/46 of 10 December 1984
entry into force 26 June 1987, in accordance with article 27 (1)

Article 1

1. For the purposes of this Convention, the term "torture" means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions.

Article 2

1. Each State Party shall take effective legislative, administrative, judicial or other measures to prevent acts of torture in any territory under its jurisdiction.

2. No exceptional circumstances whatsoever, whether a state of war or a threat of war, internal political instability or any other public emergency, may be invoked as a justification of torture.

Article 4

1. Each State Party shall ensure that all acts of torture are offences under its criminal law. The same shall apply to an attempt to commit torture and to an act by any person which constitutes complicity or participation in torture.

2. Each State Party shall make these offences punishable by appropriate penalties which take into account their grave nature.

http://www.ohchr.org/EN/ProfessionalInterest/Pages/CAT.aspx

subterminalvelocity, on 28 Jan 2016 - 05:18, said:

boomerangutang, on 28 Jan 2016 - 03:29, said:

subterminalvelocity, on 27 Jan 2016 - 17:17, said:

Does anyone know of former Commander Panya's whereabouts?

In my view, he is the one with the key.

I think Panya is a good water carrier boy. He certainly doesn't want to rock the boat of conventionalism by speaking out about what he knows. Maintaining his salary is paramount. While he was trying to do a decent job as initial head investigator, he was under extreme pressure from his Bkk betters to;

A. arrest suspects very quickly because tourism would suffer by any delay, and

B. Don't touch the Toovichiens or their buddies.

Regarding 'A': we farang know that tourism doesn't suffer if there's an ongoing professional investigation. Tourism suffers when scapegoats are nailed and VIP are unfairly let off the hook, and vicious murderers are allowed to roam at will. Thais don't know that. Regarding 'B': Panya started out by following where the clues led and announced they had prime suspects and were ready to arrest them. Very soon after that he was put in the anvil of reality, with the Toovichiens on one side and BKK top brass (incl. the PM) on the other side.

He got yanked off the case - given a Bkk desk job and a raise and told to keep quiet forever about the case. He may have also got a giant gift from the Headman or Mon, possible transferred to him by NS's lawyer (the lawyer is lifelong friends with NS's mother). We'll probably never know because top brass police obviously don't want any meddling in such things. Are they going to investigate possible bribe taking within their own ranks? Are they going to bust themselves? You tell me.

C'mon pal, I just wish to know of his whereabouts?

It's a pretty basic question.

Don't worry, I'm on your side but have really had enough of super sleuths and shills.

The truth is I don't think anybody knows of his whereabouts, except his family, the RTP and the Thai government of course. They are all remaining tight-lipped.

Thanks IL.

Nothing like some digging though.

Re; mention of how prosecution should bring details of DNA trail to the appeals court. I don't think prosecution will do much or any of that sort of thing. I picture them sitting back with their arms folded, staring at the defense team with looks that say, "what are you going to do now? You already lost."

With 'guilty until proven guilty' entrenched in Thai system of justice, prosecution doesn't need to prove anything more. They've already proved the two Burmese boys are vicious rapists and murderers. What else do they need to do? In their view, it's up to the defense to put up or shut up. Prosecution also knows which side of the fence the judges sit. They and RTP and all the PM's men are paid from the public coffer. All are beholden to the PM and know what the PM wants. Sorry to say, the defense has a monumental task ahead. No amount of expert testimony is going to sway the inevitable. Sorry for being cynical, but cynicism is about all that's left after seeing how things have unfolded in the past 16 months.

Re; mention of how prosecution should bring details of DNA trail to the appeals court. I don't think prosecution will do much or any of that sort of thing. I picture them sitting back with their arms folded, staring at the defense team with looks that say, "what are you going to do now? You already lost."

With 'guilty until proven guilty' entrenched in Thai system of justice, prosecution doesn't need to prove anything more. They've already proved the two Burmese boys are vicious rapists and murderers. What else do they need to do? In their view, it's up to the defense to put up or shut up. Prosecution also knows which side of the fence the judges sit. They and RTP and all the PM's men are paid from the public coffer. All are beholden to the PM and know what the PM wants. Sorry to say, the defense has a monumental task ahead. No amount of expert testimony is going to sway the inevitable. Sorry for being cynical, but cynicism is about all that's left after seeing how things have unfolded in the past 16 months.

It's not cynicism it's realism and well done for facing up to the facts!!

You are right when you say that it has been proven that they are rapists and murderers - how long before the rest of you experience a good dose of realism instead of sticking to the 'party line' when it's so blatantly obvious what they did?

You are right when you say that it has been proven that they are rapists and murderers - how long before the rest of you experience a good dose of realism instead of sticking to the 'party line' when it's so blatantly obvious what they did?

I guess one persons proof is the rest of the worlds B.S.

When I wrote, "They've already proved the two Burmese boys are vicious rapists and murderers." I meant it was proven to the judges, not to me. If you have been paying attention you know where my sentiments lie.

When I wrote, "They've already proved the two Burmese boys are vicious rapists and murderers." I meant it was proven to the judges, not to me. If you have been paying attention you know where my sentiments lie.

I can see that you are resigned to the outcome of the appeal.

All of the others with your sentiments are firmly in the 'wishful thinking' (no-hopers) camp.

If the trial went so disastrously for the defence in the initial trial then how do you imagine the appeal is going to go - when using the same team of amateurs that cocked up first time around.

They don't seem to carry out the death penalty in Thailand anymore so I guess it being reduced to life imprisonment is the best they can hope for.

I can see that you are resigned to the outcome of the appeal.

All of the others with your sentiments are firmly in the 'wishful thinking' (no-hopers) camp.

If the trial went so disastrously for the defence in the initial trial then how do you imagine the appeal is going to go - when using the same team of amateurs that cocked up first time around.

They don't seem to carry out the death penalty in Thailand anymore so I guess it being reduced to life imprisonment is the best they can hope for.

Lucky

So if the defence was a proffesional outfit , it is your understanding they would have been found not guilty, because the original team cocked up

Thailand does carry out the death penalty, last person executed 2009, and the prosecution was pushing for the maximum punishment.

No, they would have still been found guilty as the evidence was conclusive as to their guilt.

They could however, have saved embarrassment and ridicule if they had done even a half better job of it. You have to admit, competency (from them) didn't come in to the equation and they were laughing stocks as a result of their inept performance

I know that the last execution was 7 years ago, that's why I said "of late, they seemed to have stopped carrying them out" - they won't be executed, but will remain behind bars for a very long time, where they belong!!

May 20, 2013

"Thailand’s Department Ministry of Justice Corrections has announced that it will end shackling inmates with iron chains and bars at Bang Kwang Central Prison the maximum security prison located in Nonthaburi. Bang Kwang Central is a high security prison for men."

"Inmates at Bang Kwang Central Prison have been shackled for more than a century."

Chains which up to now were used for prisoners on remand, or those charged or convicted with serious offenses sentenced to life imprisonment.

All those sentenced to death are shackled until execution.

The leg irons reportedly weigh from 3kg to 15kg.

Human rights groups have long spoken out protesting about the practice, arguing that it violates Article 31 of Thailand’s Constitution, which cites that “torture or any kind of inhumane punishment is prohibited.”

http://www.thailawforum.com/thailand-to-end-shackling-inmates/

"Police Colonel Prathoom Ruangtong, who initially took charge of the investigation, after the bodies of the pair were found on Sairee Beach in Koh Tao, last September,

confirmed the two Burmese immigrant workers had not been provided with their own lawyers."

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/koh_tao_murder_trial_defendents_did_not_have_representation_during_interrogations_court_hears_1_4211590

Again I appreciate your posting links to these articles. I've missed some so these postings of yours fill some info gaps.

Correct mate,the shills absolutely hate them though,keep them coming.

Thailand’s Second National Human Rights Action Plan (2009-2013) included, for the first time, a stated intention to abolish the death penalty.

The third Human Rights Action Plan (2014-2018), which is pending approval by the Cabinet, outlines a concrete plan for abolition,

which includes research on the required legal and constitutional changes, plans for consultation of public opinion in four regional meetings, and a subsequent debate in parliament on the death penalty.

The long-term capital punishment policy of the current military government is unclear, but early signs indicate that the country is moving away from abolition prospects.

There have been several initiatives to expand the scope of capital punishment.

Until 2013, all male death row inmates were forced to wear shackles or leg chains.

In May 2013, the government introduced a project to unshackle some inmates at Bangkok’s Bang Kwan Central Prison, including over 500 of the country’s death row inmates.

The policy of permanent shackling, however, has not been abandoned.

http://www.deathpenaltyworldwide.org/country-search-post.cfm?country=thailand#f18-5

Edited by iReason

There has been a lot of reference to ISO 17025 on the forum:

ISO/IEC 17025:2005 specifies the general requirements for the competence to carry out tests and/or calibrations, including sampling.

Including sampling....

The defence seem convinced that the sampling was carried out by an untrained person, the samples were not identified correctly, not stored correctly and the results of the DNA analysis were directed at certain individuals without any traceability other than the RTP said so. I tend to agree.

Even a layman can see that there is a problem with the prosecution's DNA evidence and that that the samples could have come from anywhere.

You know Boomer I do agree, but keeping strong and positive is key to this, the world is watching. A massive travesty of justice has occurred because of a court that has allowed evidence that would have been rejected before it even went to court in any civilized society. Just because this is in Thailand does not mean we adhere to their version of justice that does not conform with international laws. Thailand wants to see itself as a developed nation and be part of the UN and its treaties, so it must also keep its courts up to UN standards.

Now the appeal stage, the lower court has had its say but there are 2 more stages, the appeal and then the Supreme. The appeal has a new set of 3 judges.

The appeal judges look more at legal issues rather than disputed evidence. So the legal issues here are the acceptance of the DNA evidence without looking at all the international standards that should apply before the evidence is considered by the judges. Now while the Police Institute lab may be ISO accredited that does not mean it carried out the required standards in this case, far from it, it failed miserably in almost all of them and in so doing would have deemed the evidence unreliable in any western court. This is what needs to be played on I would think.

Good preparation from the defense, learn from any mistakes made.

Whats the frigging point of having an ISO 17025 accreditation if it does not actually run tests or present evidence to the standards required?

Look at Thailand Human Rights Commission, just been downgraded to observer status because it did not hold the required standards of the organization.

Thailand has plenty of laws and regulations but no f$cker enforces them or if they do then its too easy to sway them with $$

Here's a partial list of let-downs in this case:

Sept '14 Panya and his team said they have identified the culprits and will soon make arrests. They didn't make arrests.

Oct '14. Brit PM got a personal 'ok' from Thai PM to allow some British inspectors on the case. The next day the Thai PM reneged, and said, 'observers only.'

Oct. '14. Brits say they're sending a team. Team comes and goes. A Burmese observer at the island says the Brits came on a helicopter and spent about 2 hours each of two days at the island. Needless to say, they accomplished nothing except listening to their Thai minder. Brits went back to UK, told social workers what the Thai minder had told them. The social workers then went to tell the families.

Oct. '14. Big press event where Nomsod gets his DNA tested and compared to DNA found in/on Hannah. We all knew it was a complete farce. It was later proven, in June '15 by a lead RTP detective to have been a farce.

April '15: Judge says DNA items can be re-tested soon by defense experts. Shortly after, judge reneges. One or two judges are changed before trial starts.

May '15: New judge says he will make a decision about DNA testing on 1st day of trial. He doesn't.

August '15: another judge change.

Sept. '15: verdict: execution for both Burmese. Verdict rests mostly on DNA, even though DNA evidence has been shown to be in shambolic in many ways.

That's just a partial list of let-downs. Expect more.

Biggest let-down IMHO 26 December 2014:

Judge asks B2 if they did it 'No'. Judge asks: 'Do you know who did it? 'No -- We got drunk, then went home to sleep.’

Judge asks second time adding "Don't be afraid to tell me." Same answer

http://www.dvb.no/news/we-got-drunk-then-went-home-to-sleep-koh-tao-suspects-tell-judge-burma-myanmar-thailand/46946

Edited by JLCrab

Silence from the proponents of the "perfect case".

No, you are going to get called out on your constant misleading of people in support of a discredited cause. You post screen shots very selectively, don't you?

Why don't you post the subsequent ones, from the same person, acknowledging that the labs are accredited, hmmm?

post-70157-0-99508500-1454123740_thumb.j

post-70157-0-05696600-1454123745_thumb.j

And here are the links in question to definitely prove how you are attempting to mislead:

http://webdb.dmsc.moph.go.th/ifc_qa/DBQA/17025/EN/1233_56_EN.pdf

http://webdb.dmsc.moph.go.th/ifc_qa/dbqa/default.asp?iID=FDDJLL

http://webdb.dmsc.moph.go.th/ifc_qa/dbqa/default.asp?iID=LEFIF

Propaganda 101: air leading questions, never show the answers.

Also, Andy Hall complaining about the Burmese being shackled, the prison they are in doesn't shackle inmates since 2013.

Here's a partial list of let-downs in this case:

Sept '14 Panya and his team said they have identified the culprits and will soon make arrests. They didn't make arrests.

Oct '14. Brit PM got a personal 'ok' from Thai PM to allow some British inspectors on the case. The next day the Thai PM reneged, and said, 'observers only.'

Oct. '14. Brits say they're sending a team. Team comes and goes. A Burmese observer at the island says the Brits came on a helicopter and spent about 2 hours each of two days at the island. Needless to say, they accomplished nothing except listening to their Thai minder. Brits went back to UK, told social workers what the Thai minder had told them. The social workers then went to tell the families.

Oct. '14. Big press event where Nomsod gets his DNA tested and compared to DNA found in/on Hannah. We all knew it was a complete farce. It was later proven, in June '15 by a lead RTP detective to have been a farce.

April '15: Judge says DNA items can be re-tested soon by defense experts. Shortly after, judge reneges. One or two judges are changed before trial starts.

May '15: New judge says he will make a decision about DNA testing on 1st day of trial. He doesn't.

August '15: another judge change.

Sept. '15: verdict: execution for both Burmese. Verdict rests mostly on DNA, even though DNA evidence has been shown to be in shambolic in many ways.

That's just a partial list of let-downs. Expect more.

More misleading and outright falsehoods:

"Sept '14 Panya and his team said they have identified the culprits and will soon make arrests. They didn't make arrests." They said they identified suspects, not culprits.

"The police have arrested a suspect in the murder of two British tourists in Koh Tao and are still hunting for a second suspect who has escaped into Bangkok."

And of course you continue to ignore reality by refusing to accept that those suspects were cleared by the next two days.

"Oct '14. Brit PM got a personal 'ok' from Thai PM to allow some British inspectors on the case. The next day the Thai PM reneged, and said, 'observers only.'" Show a citation for Prayut saying that, you can't, can you? It's because you simply make things up as you go.

The UK police has no jurisdiction to investigate in Thailand, their work here would always had been as observers only.

"Oct. '14. Brits say they're sending a team. Team comes and goes. A Burmese observer at the island says the Brits came on a helicopter and spent about 2 hours each of two days at the island." More falsehoods, what was actually reported:

"British police made a surprise visit to Koh Tao on October 25 to inspect locations related to the murders of two backpackers, a source said.

They arrived on the island by helicopter from Bangkok, accompanied by Jarumporn Suramanee, an adviser to the national police chief, and Suwat Jaengyodsuk, acting deputy commander of the Metropolitan Police Bureau.

Three Scotland Yard police were believed to be on the trip from Bangkok, joining two others who had come to the island on Friday (October 24), according to the source."

"Oct. '14. Big press event where Nomsod gets his DNA tested and compared to DNA found in/on Hannah. We all knew it was a complete farce. It was later proven, in June '15 by a lead RTP detective to have been a farce." The part in bold type, another of your fabrications.

What transpired during the hearings was that the results from that DNA testing were not part of the murder investigation, they never where. That test was done to placate the self styled "Interent Sleuths" it was done weeks after the investigation was concluded. You are trying to mislead people in order to perpetuate your fantasies about Nomsod.

"April '15: Judge says DNA items can be re-tested soon by defense experts. Shortly after, judge reneges. One or two judges are changed before trial starts." Completely false, the judges allowed the defense to test all the DNA evidence, the defense refused.

"The court yesterday ordered public prosecutors to work with investigators to send all remaining forensic evidence found at the crime scene, including a shovel, for forensic retesting."

"The validity of the DNA test by the police was among the most contentious issues during the trial, which lasted from July to October. Defense lawyers argued that the test was not independently conducted, and requested that the remnants of DNA samples be retested by the Central Institute of Forensic Science, which operates under the Ministry of Justice.

However, the defense team eventually abandoned the idea of the retest, saying they were unsure whether the DNA remnants would still make for an accurate retest. "

They would say that, wouldn't they? I think they saw that the results of the DNA analysis from samples they took on the courtroom matched those used by the police and then decided to drop the issue of a retest like a hot potato. If you want to find people that have been withholding DNA results that is the defense, from the verdict report:

"Moreover, the two defendants did not provide their DNA test results which were sent for a retest by the Forensic Institute to support their defense during the witness cross-examination stage."

"May '15: New judge says he will make a decision about DNA testing on 1st day of trial. He doesn't." Did he? I notice, and other people should too, that you never, ever substantiate anything that you say. The links I provided above show the court deciding on the issue of retesting of evidence at least as far back as July 11, three days after the trial began, is that the straw that you are clutching at? That they made a decision on the third day instead of the first one? :rolleyes:

"August '15: another judge change." So what? the trial dates were: "The hearings are scheduled on July 8, 9, 10, 22, 28, then on August 18, 19, 20, 21, 27, 28 and on September 1, 2, 22, 24, 25, 26, judges said" What does August 15th have to do with anything, and again, no source for your claims, only your utterly discredited say-so.

"Sept. '15: verdict: execution for both Burmese. Verdict rests mostly on DNA, even though DNA evidence has been shown to be in shambolic in many ways." Yes, it's been shown to be so by people like you with no real knowledge or regard toward facts.

"In May 2013, the government introduced a project to unshackle some inmates at Bangkok’s Bang Kwan Central Prison, including over 500 of the country’s death row inmates."

"The policy of permanent shackling, however, has not been abandoned."

http://www.deathpenaltyworldwide.org/country-search-post.cfm?country=thailand#f18-5

Edited by iReason

^ And he's off and running, quoting from the discredited summing-up again ! This time highlighting the hapless attempt to 'massage' away the disturbing irregularities (to put it politely) in the RTP 'interviews' of the B2. And his attempts to justify the non-existent DNA evidence get ever more convuluted and selective. The man is just shameless!

Edited by Khun Han

"In May 2013, the government introduced a project to unshackle some inmates at Bangkoks Bang Kwan Central Prison, including over 500 of the countrys death row inmates."

But AleG wrote:

"Also, Andy Hall complaining about the Burmese being shackled, the prison they are in doesn't shackle inmates since 2013."

Aleg doesn't post partial or misleading information, does he?

"In May 2013, the government introduced a project to unshackle some inmates at Bangkoks Bang Kwan Central Prison, including over 500 of the countrys death row inmates."

But AleG wrote:

"Also, Andy Hall complaining about the Burmese being shackled, the prison they are in doesn't shackle inmates since 2013."

Aleg doesn't post partial or misleading information, does he?

The guy is a clown ! Best too ignore him!

Silence from the proponents of the "perfect case".

No, you are going to get called out on your constant misleading of people in support of a discredited cause. You post screen shots very selectively, don't you?

Why don't you post the subsequent ones, from the same person, acknowledging that the labs are accredited, hmmm?

attachicon.gifTwitter1.jpg

attachicon.gifTwitter2.jpg

And here are the links in question to definitely prove how you are attempting to mislead:

http://webdb.dmsc.moph.go.th/ifc_qa/DBQA/17025/EN/1233_56_EN.pdf

http://webdb.dmsc.moph.go.th/ifc_qa/dbqa/default.asp?iID=FDDJLL

http://webdb.dmsc.moph.go.th/ifc_qa/dbqa/default.asp?iID=LEFIF

Propaganda 101: air leading questions, never show the answers.

Also, Andy Hall complaining about the Burmese being shackled, the prison they are in doesn't shackle inmates since 2013.

It would be really nice Ale G if you could post a photo of the B2 in any Thai prison but not wearing chains, please, it will be nice and humanitarian New Year ( Chinese) gift to us

all. If you cannot then I think you will need to retract your post above