Trump refuses to debate; calls Fox's moderator 'lightweight'

webfact

Trump refuses to debate; calls Fox's moderator 'lightweight'
STEVE PEOPLES, Associated Press

MARSHALLTOWN, Iowa (AP) — Republican front-runner Donald Trump on Tuesday bowed out of the final Republican presidential debate before the leadoff Iowa caucuses, saying Fox News moderator Megyn Kelly is "a lightweight."

With 48 hours to go before the faceoff, campaign manager Corey Lewandowski confirmed Trump's decision Tuesday evening after a press conference in which Trump lashed out at Kelly and said she'd been "toying" with him.

"He will not be participating in the Fox News debate Thursday," Lewandowski said immediately after the press conference.

Trump, who called his decision "pretty close to irrevocable" in the press conference, said he'd hold an Iowa event at the same time as the debate to raise money for wounded veterans. Iowa hosts the nation's opening presidential nominating contest on Monday.

"With me, they're dealing with somebody that's a little bit different. They can't toy with me like they toy with everybody else," he said. "Let them have their debate and let's see how they do with the ratings."

He added, "Why do I have to make Fox rich?"

The Republican National Committee said the decision was up to Trump.

"Obviously we would love all of the candidates to participate but each campaign ultimately makes their own decision what's in their best interest," said RNC chief strategist Sean Spicer.

Trump had suggested he might skip the Fox debate earlier in the day, drawing a sarcastic statement from the television network that "the Ayatollah and Putin both intend to treat Donald Trump unfairly when they meet with him if he becomes president."

"A nefarious source tells us that Trump has his own secret plan to replace the Cabinet with his Twitter followers to see if he should even go to those meetings," the Fox statement said.

A Fox spokesman did not immediately respond to Trump's decision.

The New York real estate mogul's presence has helped produce massive ratings in the previous six Republican presidential debates. His decision leaves seven candidates to share the primetime stage on Thursday: Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Ohio Gov. John Kasich and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul.

"Let them have their debate. I'm going to raise money during that period of time for the wounded warriors and for the vets. Let Fox play its games," Trump said.

He added, "I don't' think Iowa's gonna care."

At the very least, the high-profile debate feud serves as a major distraction in the Republican contest just six days before Iowa voters cast the first votes in the 2016 primary contest.

Trump, now locked in a tight race with Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, has proven to be a master of commanding media attention at key moments. Among other things, he has previously called for a temporary ban on all Muslim immigrants and later questioned Cruz's presidential eligibility given that he was born in Canada.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-01-27

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trump is afraid as he knows he is a poor orator and will probably make a fool of himself

Why would this time be different from previous times? So far he has done well in the debates.

Yes, he has done well in the debates and he will probably do well in not debating. He seems to be able to fall in a pile of crap and still out smelling like a rose.

I don't care for him, but he is pure genius.

Trump is afraid as he knows he is a poor orator and will probably make a fool of himself

Why would this time be different from previous times? So far he has done well in the debates.

Yes, he has done well in the debates and he will probably do well in not debating. He seems to be able to fall in a pile of crap and still out smelling like a rose.

Yes, when he gets called on one of his lies he just ignores that, and nobody seems to care.

Another move of political genius by Trump. He steals the press attention from the other candidates and leaves Cruz to be pounded all alone by the other midgets on debate night.

Genius or madman or both....

Another mad genius.

He may be a buffoon and entertaining, but certainly he is clever and smart as a whip. I doubt he is a madman, but he seems to be just toying with everyone and winning. He might just be able to take this all the way, in spite of what I and many people originally thought. This move to marginalize Fox is indeed brilliant; maybe even genius.

"Genius" is not the right word. Try "crafty" or "sly".

Neither word carries good connotations, as is apt in Trump's case.

Edited by Seastallion

Because it's Fox News and they've got it in for him at Roger Ailes behest?

And thus he might actually have to answer some detailed policy questions?

I'd say he's avoiding, for want of a better word, "difficulties". This debate might need more than "huuuge", "amazing", "we have to figure it out" and the rest of the vacuous, grade-4-reading-level nonsense he pumps out 24/7.

Let's just hope he supports a proper Veteran's Charity this time and not his friends fake one like he did on the USS Iowa.

A bit difficult for anyone to pass comment who regards Fox News as a joke. For those who don't you can't fail to differentiate Trump from the rest, he's the guy who didn't turn up.

Actually it's extremely easy.

It might be difficult for you to comprehend though.

Both FOX and the GOP establishment have clearly come out strong against Trump.

He is making the right call. The only reason FOX and the GOP have shown a tiny

bit of restraint regarding Trump ,is Cruz is the strong number 2. Trump represents

the rock and Cruz the hard place. whistling.gif

I find megan kelly annoying and I don't even know her.

She needs to decide if she's a playboy bunny or a journalist…and then work on it.

I agree she's a lightweight….just a mouthy, bellicose blowhard…and we know trump only wants one of those in the room.

I don't blame him....she grossly mistreated him from the very start of the first debate.....I think she spent allot of time preparing her questions which were mostly statements. After that first debate the analysts stated that the moderators had spoken for a good amount of the debate time....they were not just asking questions like CNN and clearly had their own agenda. I was very surprised because Trump had good relationships with Fox anchors Hannity and Greta Von Susteren and was frequently interviewed on Fox in the past.

Megyn Kelly needs to send out a Tweet reassuring Trump that she's not on her menstrual cycle so he's got nothing to be afraid of....

This is a true accomplishment for a conservative woman who is wrong about pretty much everything else

I'd say that Trump is a thin-skinned, glass jawed, panty waisted, prima donna...but that wouldn't be fair to prima donnas

His minions were looking forward to seeing him in this latest cluster eff. Hell, I was! I can watch slow motion train wrecks all day long

Maybe Trump can build a wall around Megyn and get Fox to pay for it.

Chris Matthews on Debate Without Trump : "Who Is Going To Watch A Debate Between Two Cuban Guys?"

If Trump wants to sulk, Faux News should invite Bernie Sanders to take his place. Bernie is more popular with Republicans than the rest of the conservative losers who will be on that stage

You know what would be cool...during the debate, at a Trump rally, he introduces his cabinet: Gary Busey, Meatloaf, La Toya Jackson and Dennis Rodman walk onto the stage. Crowd goes crazy.

Folks are CELEBRATING on Breitbart because TRUMP shut down FOX !!! These wingnuts are incredibly entertaining

Another delicious moment in a year of electioneering that promises to be the best of all time. I wonder if we can still get Trump to be the halftime show at the Superbowl?

BUT SERIOUSLY, The GOP makes up 25% of the voting public. He only has the support of somewhere between 30 and 35% of that 25%. Trump: the candidate of poorly educated, white failures

I actually agree with Fox on this one. Now I need to go take a shower. I hope it washes off

Edited by Pinot