Child angel 'Luk Thep' blessing ritual under watch by Thai police

webfact

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't remember what documentary I saw about people in Europe and North America with dolls like this. If I remember right, it was infertile or bereaved people who took the doll thing to the extreme. Of course, they didn't do spiritual rituals or anything, but it was still creepy. There are a few documentaries about it online, but this one looks pretty typical (can't remember which one I found first):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Stf7Z6A2M4

The Nation

Angel dolls bring joy to sad people

SUPALAK GANJANAKHUNDEE January 27, 2016 1:00 am
30277830-01_big.jpg

A picture made available on 25 January 2016 shows Thai devotee Ratchada Mahanavanont, 45, talking and patting her Child Angels Dolls while having a meal at her house in Bangkok, Thailand, 24 January 2016. The new superstitious trend among Thai people invo

THE WORSHIP of a “child angel doll” made into a spiritual icon might look incredulous to rational people, but such behaviour can always inspire those with a good sense for creative business.

In a country like Thailand, where so much can be considered sacred, except law, people are willing to pay respects to anything they believe will bring them "good things" or even just "good feelings".

Buddhism teaches people not to worship anything - but instead counsels people to exercise their intellect to consider the nature of life and release their minds from suffering. Nevertheless, Buddhists in Thailand seem ready to worship everything that is against the Lord Buddha's teaching.

Edited by metisdead
14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Thai's have a weakness for beauty and vanity. We should start a news story about a middle aged Thai woman who, after acquiring a few child angels, started falling sick, vomit, her cat was killed in an accident, and people started fighting around her home. It turned out the child angel doll was possessed with a demon that wanted to give people pain. So buddhist monks had to come and clear the demons by ritual and then sacrifice the child doll as it had some connections to a very dark spiritual place. Let's see how many dolls they sell then.

Edited by sz1a

whistling.gif Thai Buddhism has inherited many old practices from Indian religious traditions.

If you go to a Thai Wat look for a "Lingyam" (spelling?) stone.

Ask a monk what that stone is for.

Supposed to make sure a wife has a child....fertility tradition.

Also was practiced in Europe and England in Pre-Christian times.

Bet you never heard of that before.

"Supposed to make sure a wife has a child....fertility tradition. Also was practiced in Europe and England in Pre-Christian times. Bet you never heard of that before."

That whole business is a phallusy (Spelling)wink.png

in the words of Charlton Heston's character in the original Planet of the Apes film to his fellow astronauts upon seeing the the Humans who now behave like apes:

"Look on the bright side, in six months we will be running this place."

that was before he saw the smart Apes. Later in the human zoo, he screams:

"Its a mad house! A MAD HOUSE!"

and please i love the Thai people, so i am NOT suggesting they are apes, it is just that people all over the world believe some really stupid stuff.

I sometimes scream "Its a mad house! A MAD HOUSE!" when I ride my motorcycle around Thailand's highways. smile.png

The world has been turned into a mental asylum run by its worst inmates.

Hmm many years ago in my preteen years I had a lucky Wolves (Wolverhampton Wanderers FC )scarf , but i was about 7/8 years old

These folks sorry they really are barking mad! there is no other way to put it !

Actually reading the sports results of late i must find that lucky scarf again

so what we are saying then is all your thai/chinese university graduated mercedes driving hiso wives who look down their noses at our dirt poor uneducated village girlfriends are strutting round town with a chinese made plastic doll in their gucci bags which they buy happy meals for and sit them in 1st class with thai smile, because carrying a dry roasted dead foteus is soooo passè this year?

whatever happened to the dog in a baby carrier? are they all out on the streets now?

my village girl says its all baa and has nothing to do with buddha... but what does she know? 5555

"Spokesman for the National Office of Buddhism Somchai Surachatri said that the act of performing the ‘Plook Sek’ ritual,

is no different from other rituals that Buddhist monks regularly perform to bless automobiles."

facepalm.gif cheesy.gif

no different from other rituals that Buddhist monks regularly perform to bless automobiles

And looking at one of the highest accident rates worldwide, we all know even those blessings doesn't not work that well.

Popular monk says ritual performance for “Child Angels” not against Buddhism principles

These orange people would do anything to keep the people stupid so they are easier to rule and they even make this behavior a business model. I believe Buddha would have been very upset with them.

whistling.gif Thai Buddhism has inherited many old practices from Indian religious traditions.

If you go to a Thai Wat look for a "Lingyam" (spelling?) stone.

Ask a monk what that stone is for.

Supposed to make sure a wife has a child....fertility tradition.

Also was practiced in Europe and England in Pre-Christian times.

Bet you never heard of that before.

Lingam = male penis

Yoni = Vagina (it's round in shape with a slot carved around the the edge with a drain) tongue.pngthumbsup.gifwai.gif

Most Indian temples have them at the entrance to the main shrine. And it is common for worshippers to pour white liquid (milk) on them.

Such superstition in the 21st century is unbelievable.This throws the country back 1000 years.The same as in Europe's dark ages.At that time,when people were terrified and controlled by the church.Believing that if they didn't obey the priest they would be struck down by fire and Brimstone.Back to the time,when the king was chosen by God and was answerable only to him.Chosen by divine right. What a load of <deleted>.As Charles the 1st found out.Thailand calls itself a developing country??? developing into what?? A country of superstitious,controlled,submissive,uneducated,ignorant people.But that's what the powers that be want,isnt it ???Until this country rids itself of superstition such as this,and the money making monk's,the world will continue to laugh at them. It's just as bad as the parents who allowed their two young children to marry each other(previous topic)To ward off evil spirits.And the blessing of the car thing,after being bought on a lucky day,what's that all about?the monk gets paid and you could still die in the wretched thing.Until the country rids itself of such superstition and the people who institute it,the whole world will laugh.they wil continue to be an uneducated,submissive,ignorant,superstitious race.But then again,i guess thats what the powers that be want,isn't it?

KKD

How and why do people allow their brains to turn to mush?

Well, from the OP and the office at the top of the hierarchy, "It is an act that at its core is designed to ease the fears of the Buddhist faithful and give them greater peace-of-mind."

Which says, in other words, the ceremony is for the ignorant masses. It's nothing but a placebo. There is no magic in it.

In the west you will see the same kind of thing, however less obvious.

Without their "thing" people are lost.

Religion, football hooliganess.

Independant thinking is too difficult, therefore we have a bible, houses of worship.