National park ranger honored for returning money to foreign tourist

webfact

National park ranger honored for returning money to tourist

mb.jpg

File photo. Source Internet

KRABI, 28 January 2016 (NNT) – The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) has held a ceremony to honor a park ranger who returned a large sum of money to a foreign tourist visiting Krabi province.

Mr Thanya Netithammakun, Deputy Director-General of the DNP, granted an honorary certificate and pin as well as a cash reward to Mr Wutthichai Prathumthong, a park ranger at Maya Bay, Noppharat Thara Beach-Phi Phi Islands National Park, Krabi province.

Mr Wutthichai came across a bag containing over 100,000 baht and managed to return it to the owner, a 36-year-old Iranian tourist who had made a trip to Maya Bay on January 19.

Mr Thanya cited the good Samaritan as an exemplary figure for other officials. The Deputy Director-General said the department will consider increasing his salary in appreciation of his good deed.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-01-28 footer_n.gif

Awards should be for doing something noteworthy, special, above and beyond etc and not for simply doing what's right, your job etc.

Maybe these kind of awards here are because of the surprise that someone actually does their job or is honest.

Something of an insight into the Thai mentality.

This represents nearly an annual income for the typical Thai. So if it happened in Farangland it's going to be at least USD20,000.

I wonder what the odds are of getting that money returned if you dropped it in downtown New York/Sydney/Auckland/Rotterdam/London or wherever.

Have a bash at Thailand or the Thais when warranted, but look in your own back garden first.

This represents nearly an annual income for the typical Thai. So if it happened in Farangland it's going to be at least USD20,000.

I wonder what the odds are of getting that money returned if you dropped it in downtown New York/Sydney/Auckland/Rotterdam/London or wherever.

Have a bash at Thailand or the Thais when warranted, but look in your own back garden first.

I had just a very quick look:

Off-duty cop finds $1 million in Vancouver trash can | John ...

Honest builder who handed nearly £18000 in cash to police ...

California off-duty cop finds $120K on road, returns money ...

Man Finds Nearly $100K in Desk Purchased on Craigslist ...

Homeless Man Finds $2,400 and Returns the Money, Then ...

Wow. Lots of cynicism expressed.
I think it is quite appropriate for the guy to be acknowledged and, yes, rewarded for right action.
I found I was missing my wallet yesterday with my one bank card, I.D., and a few thousand baht cash in it.... the month's rent, in fact.
Put on my "thinking cap" and could picture my wallet sitting on the ledge of a sidewalk coffee bar I frequent. Walked down to the place, and everybody's face lit up when they saw me coming.
Yes, they had found it and set it aside for me. Nothing missing and refusal of a reward.
I will as promised go to a wat and make wai for the folks in praise of their merit. Hey, their belief, and they really saved me from a jam of my own making.... they appreciated the gesture more than the offer of cash.
So yeah, I agree with Gsxrnz that it is noteworthy anywhere.
p.s., The onlookers were all smiles and nods of appreciation as well.... a real falang/Thai feel good encounter.

Edited by Bill Miller

I think it is quite appropriate for the guy to be acknowledged and, yes, rewarded for right action.

I found I was missing my wallet yesterday with my one bank card, I.D., and a few thousand baht cash in it.... the month's rent, in fact.

Put on my "thinking cap" and could picture my wallet sitting on the ledge of a sidewalk coffee bar I frequent. Walked down to the place, and everybody's face lit up when they saw me coming.

Yes, they had found it and set it aside for me. Nothing missing and refusal of a reward.

I will as promised go to a wat and make wai for the folks in praise of their merit. Hey, their belief, and they really saved me from a jam of my own making.... they appreciated the gesture more than the offer of cash.

Well said.

Had many similar instances myself. Sunglasses returned to me 2 months after I lost them at the golf course when I returned for a game. A waitress chased me on her scooter with the 500B and coins that I'd forgotten to take from the folder.

Just last week I watched a bar cashier have an argument with a mildly drunk Norwegian. He'd put 3,000B in the bin to pay for his 260B bill. Cashier tries to tell him he's overpaid and he misunderstands and gives her another 1,000B. Laughs all round and she manages physically force all the extra money back into his hand.

I still don't think he understood. He's probably telling all his mates about the crazy cashier that gave him too much change. facepalm.giffacepalm.gif

BS stories. In America it's illegal to have that much cash, I don't believe this story one bit.

100,000tb is somewhat less than $3,000 US. I do not know what you are thinking, but it is by no means illegal to have cash in the US. I have had more than that in the chips tray at a craps table.

If you are carrying more than $10,000 in or out of the US you must declare it, but you are not prohibited from having any amount.

The BS is not in the story about a measly 100,000tb.

p.s., The onlookers were all smiles and nods of appreciation as well.... a real falang/Thai feel good encounter.

Well said. There are good, honest and decent people everywhere, in every country.

Unfortunately, many people prefer to focus on the negative experiences they've had and all too quickly forget the positive experiences they've had.

I liked your story.

I have had real good luck with people in Chiang Mai for honesty just so you don't think I am being negative here. I once left my wallet on a table while cycling a long way out in nowhere and about an hour later I got a call from a gal who spoke good English. She said her grandmother found my wallet. So I drove back later and there it was with every baht in it. But I still think it a bit odd to give someone a public award for doing something like this?

I had just a very quick look:

Off-duty cop finds $1 million in Vancouver trash can | John ...

Honest builder who handed nearly £18000 in cash to police ...

California off-duty cop finds $120K on road, returns money ...

Man Finds Nearly $100K in Desk Purchased on Craigslist ...

Homeless Man Finds $2,400 and Returns the Money, Then ...

And in those places it was also considered unusual (hence it nade the news) ;)