Goat milk for puppy

We just welcomed a two month old Golden Retriever puppy. I don't like dog food, I've a big distrust for industrial food, I cook for myself and it's no problem to cook for the dog as well. Our old Golden Retriever died at 15, which proves I'm not such a bad cook.

I always used to add a bit of milk to the "soup" I feed my dogs but our local vet said (cow) milk is bad for dogs. My wife bought some instant goat milk, some special dog formula (mix the powder with warm water blink.png ) and insist we give it to our new puppy. What do you think of that ? If we have to give goat milk to our dog I would at least prefer some fresh or pasteurized milk. Can we find that at reasonable price around Bangkok ?

Edited by JohnnyJazz

I use goat's milk all the time (in place of cow's milk) - for myself. In Chiangmai, where I live, it's available but it ain't cheap. About 50 baht for half a pint.

(PS. Would appreciate it if you would pm me with a rough indication of what non-industrial food you gave your dog.)

I was wondering more what you cooked for your golden retriever in his adult days.

Also my comment was about fresh goat's milk. (I wasn't even aware that tinned goat's milk was available.)

Soup with meat. I used to go either to Lotus or Makro, buy meat in bulk, then put in a pressure cooker with vegetable and water. I serve with rice.

What is important is daily exercices. As I was working abroad he used to stay in Bangkok with my in laws, they treat him right but he couldn't go outside, typical Bangkok neighborhood too many aggressive soi dogs to be safe to walk a dog. So he started to be overweight and develop hips problem until he could barely walk. The vets all gave up on him until I took him back with me. Good food with short then longer walk three time a day, he made an almost full recovery that surprised everybody.

For the puppy, the vet advised against all kind of milk, so we don't give. When he arrived he was underweight, the problem being he doesn't really like dog food. I tried switching to home cooked food but it gave him diarrhea. So now I mix dog food with boiled chicken, it's ok, he is eating and gaining weight fast. Following vet advises we will introduce new food little by little in order not to disturb his digestion.

PS : I used to add milk to the dog's soup, but very diluted. The vet says it's ok to "wet" the puppy food with goat milk, the goal being to push the puppy to eat more and the added taste of milk may help.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

I was wondering more what you cooked for your golden retriever in his adult days.

Also my comment was about fresh goat's milk. (I wasn't even aware that tinned goat's milk was available.)

Most vets and pet shop carry the tinned goats milk, we use Prema-Lac brand.