Slow but steady increase of Japanese retiring in Cambodia

geovalin

While Cambodia has long been a destination for western expats looking to retire, the Kingdom is becoming increasingly appealing for Japanese retirees looking for a good quality of life at a fraction of the price in their home country. However, as an ageing population demands a solid healthcare industry, until those needs are met, retirees will continue to seek more developed locations, local Japanese residents say.

Currently, the number of Japanese citizens living in Cambodia is registered at approximately 2,500, according to Yoshihiro Abe, First Secretary of the Japanese Embassy in Phnom Penh. However, he added that there could be many more.

“As of January this year, the number of Japanese nationals aged over 60, who are registered with the Embassy, is about 300 – an increase of 30 per cent since last year,” added Naoaki Kamoshida, Counselor to the Japanese Embassy.

source : http://www.phnompenhpost.com/real-estate/slow-steady-increase-japanese-retiring-cambodia

Judging by my condo in Bangkok - mostly young Thai professionals and foreigners with their Thai other halves but also quite a few Japanese elderly couples who like to sit in the lobby, watch the world go by and smile at/chat with everyone arriving home - retiring abroad is quite a thing with the Japanese. They seem to live very frugal existences but I guess it beats watching TV in some grey nursing home with the dribblers and chair wetters spread around you!

Judging by my condo in Bangkok - mostly young Thai professionals and foreigners with their Thai other halves but also quite a few Japanese elderly couples who like to sit in the lobby, watch the world go by and smile at/chat with everyone arriving home - retiring abroad is quite a thing with the Japanese. They seem to live very frugal existences but I guess it beats watching TV in some grey nursing home with the dribblers and chair wetters spread around you!

..........They seem to live very frugal existences but I guess it beats watching TV in some grey nursing home with the dribblers and chair wetters spread around you!

ANYTHING beats that!

Ahh..somehow you believe that you will avoid this fate......think again. We all are in for a ride...and the seat may not be as comfortable as you imagine.

Nothing like an adventure in far off foreign lands in retirement after living a totally

conformist life. I truly hope they enjoy there golden years. thumbsup.gif

Sounds just like every Brit,Yank, and Aussie in Thailand now. Sign up for ObamaCare, don't forget your NHS registration, tax returns, blah blah blah....same old stuff just different customs.