Retox - breakfast and a show!

rws85

I've been to Retox a few times early in the morning as they are open 24 hours and also do an ok breakfast for a very good price. Being open 24 hours also means there is normally people still drinking in there early in the morning.

I was there a few days ago and witnessed a bloke and his lady friend having a bit of a domestic. They both seemed very drunk and were getting quite aggressive towards each other. Was a bit like real life Jerry Springer.

Pitty I had a lot to do that day because I was quite tempted to hang around just to see what was going to happen!

They allow smoking inside ?? I was about to say I'd heard good things about this place but its just been red carded if smokey

I thought only smoke outside ? Never seen anyone smoke there when I have had breakfast been there 4 or 5 times

I think they allow smoking inside in the evening - the boss in one of the comments in the live cam feed says after 4pm.

Occasionally (and it has happened a couple of times to me) there will be people in there at breakfast who are still there drinking from the night before and it seems it is difficult for the girls to get them to stop or go outside and smoke - boss was not there on those occasions.

They allow smoking inside ?? I was about to say I'd heard good things about this place but its just been red carded if smokey

I thought only smoke outside ? Never seen anyone smoke there when I have had breakfast been there 4 or 5 times

I think they allow smoking inside in the evening - the boss in one of the comments in the live cam feed says after 4pm.

Occasionally (and it has happened a couple of times to me) there will be people in there at breakfast who are still there drinking from the night before and it seems it is difficult for the girls to get them to stop or go outside and smoke - boss was not there on those occasions.

When will these owners learn that the vast majority are disgusted by the filthy habit that effects everyone of us. Obey the law No Smoking inside. The loss of some customers who cannot control themselves are quickly replaced by new customers well aware that there is zero tolerance to smoking

They are so short sighted in general

When will these owners learn that the vast majority are disgusted by the filthy habit that effects everyone of us. Obey the law No Smoking inside. The loss of some customers who cannot control themselves are quickly replaced by new customers well aware that there is zero tolerance to smoking

Agreed.

But the law does not stipulate between inside and outside when it comes to bars and restaurants.

They ALL should be free of cigarettes.

Agreed.

But the law does not stipulate between inside and outside when it comes to bars and restaurants.

They ALL should be free of cigarettes.

I believe Thailand does distinguish between indoors and outdoors.

http://www.tobaccocontrollaws.org/legislation/country/thailand/summary

Edited by Jip99

Was in there a few times//last time was a month ago, for a pint and something to eat after golf!

I ordered the Lamb Hot Pot....229 Bht.......5 slices of potato,4 slices of carrot, half a cup of gravy.....and..believe it or not....2 pieces of lamb!!!! <deleted>!.

My mate ordered the Cottage Pie, which comes with 'Chips'...they were flat..soft and absolute crap! not for the first time..i had it two weeks previous to him, but forgot about the chips being shit, they

are not cooked in a deep fryer! my mate said they must have been done in a shallow fry pan.

Cheap Guinness and Magners...but also crap quality,if compared to Maggie Mays and Witherspoons in the adjacent Soi's....You get what you pay for!!

When I said to the cashier that the lamb hot pot was rubbish, only two pieces of lamb.. she laughed, maybe never understood me, but the lazy ugly lady boy waiter/ess (That had to be bell rung twice to get it off it's ass to get a drink and order) with the Dyed hair did, and as I was turning to walk out the door started shouting at me, asking what I said...I ignored 'it', as the owner had left the building about twenty minutes previous!!

Wont see me or my mates there again Simon!

Was in there a few times//last time was a month ago, for a pint and something to eat after golf!

I ordered the Lamb Hot Pot....229 Bht.......5 slices of potato,4 slices of carrot, half a cup of gravy.....and..believe it or not....2 pieces of lamb!!!! <deleted>!.

My mate ordered the Cottage Pie, which comes with 'Chips'...they were flat..soft and absolute crap! not for the first time..i had it two weeks previous to him, but forgot about the chips being shit, they

are not cooked in a deep fryer! my mate said they must have been done in a shallow fry pan.

Cheap Guinness and Magners...but also crap quality,if compared to Maggie Mays and Witherspoons in the adjacent Soi's....You get what you pay for!!

When I said to the cashier that the lamb hot pot was rubbish, only two pieces of lamb.. she laughed, maybe never understood me, but the lazy ugly lady boy waiter/ess (That had to be bell rung twice to get it off it's ass to get a drink and order) with the Dyed hair did, and as I was turning to walk out the door started shouting at me, asking what I said...I ignored 'it', as the owner had left the building about twenty minutes previous!!

Wont see me or my mates there again Simon!

Thing is Jimbo if you complain to a Thai this is how they react. They aren't mocking you, this is how they cover the embarrassment by smiling or laughing. Don't take it the wrong way - the ladyboy gobbing off might be different though! Have a word with the boss, better I reckon.

I've had one of the cheap breakfasts in Retox & thought it was fine for what you get. Not tried anything else in there but not somewhere I'd bother with too much for eating, especially if people are gonna be allowed to smoke in there.

The owner is not Thai.... The smoking issue has been raised several times only to be ignored.

And there's at least 6 English breakfast places within 2 minutes walking distance for those that wish to avoid complaining about cigarette smoke.

Edited by NanLaew

I believe Thailand does distinguish between indoors and outdoors.

http://www.tobaccocontrollaws.org/legislation/country/thailand/summary

No smoking in bars
In reply to the question raised by Sir Lance of Rayong in his July 1 letter, I wish to clarify details of the smoking ban in bars in Thailand.
The most recent update of the Non-smokers' Health Protection Act refers to a ban on smoking in all locations under the Entertainment Act, which includes all bars, pubs, nightclubs and karaoke establishments.
Thus, all bars are included although specific types of these bars may not have been included in the list of bars mentioned.
I hope this makes clear that smoking is prohibited in all bars, air-conditioned or not, in Thailand.
PRAKIT VATHESATOGKIT
Action on Smoking and Health, Thailand

I had breakfast at Retox yesterday. I arrived at 7am and there was still a few patrons kicking-on from the night before. Some of them were smoking.

I was informed that breakfast didn't start until 8am. I left, and on my return at 8:15am the dregs were gone and the smoke had dissipated.

The breakfast was good value for money. The service was average.

I would recommend behaving myself when the owner is around. Pretty big guy. This is my go to place for sports. Always find a way to put up hockey and Canadian Football when asked. The breakfast food has improved since they moved from iRovers. Ham omelette is as good as you will find in these parts, 110b. I talked to the former partner Karl in a grocery store a few weeks ago and he said it is doing a good trade. Happy for that. As for the smoking I would guess from by heavy drinking, chain smoking (80+ per/day) days that these are their highest margin customers so why begrudge them. They need those guys to make a go of it far more than us breakfast eaters.

I would recommend behaving myself when the owner is around. Pretty big guy. This is my go to place for sports. Always find a way to put up hockey and Canadian Football when asked. The breakfast food has improved since they moved from iRovers. Ham omelette is as good as you will find in these parts, 110b. I talked to the former partner Karl in a grocery store a few weeks ago and he said it is doing a good trade. Happy for that. As for the smoking I would guess from by heavy drinking, chain smoking (80+ per/day) days that these are their highest margin customers so why begrudge them. They need those guys to make a go of it far more than us breakfast eaters.

They are the best customers but probably also the most unhealthy ones, they need to milk them dry before they drop dead.

I woud never eat in a place that allows smoking. This is 2016.

Edited by balo

They are the best customers but probably also the most unhealthy ones, they need to milk them dry before they drop dead.

I woud never eat in a place that allows smoking. This is 2016.

This is 2016 Thailand. Not same as back home. By the way Balo, are you also from the polar bear capital?

Sorry , we have no polar bears in Norway, despite what people might think. But plenty of them up in the north , on Svalbard Island

Yes it's 2016 and most indoor places in Thailand do not allow smoking , big difference from 20 years ago.

Edited by balo

I've never seen people smoking there when I go for breakfast, but I never go before 10-11am. Cant say I would order anything else there but the breakfast is good for the price, and certainly no worse than another breakfast that you might pay 20-50B more for nearby. Only when you pay more than 150B elsewhere do you see a real improvement over the Retox 98B one.