Bangkok has only one 5***** hotel

Thian

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is no internationally recognised definition of the star system for hotels so the ratings are purely subjective and have different criteria from country to country. In a so called "5 Star" all it tells you is that you will be paying more than in a so called "4 Star".

Yeah, there are a few places that people have told me are "5 star", and while they easily meet and exceed my needs and some of them are really exceptionally nice, in old money I'd call them 3 star.

I don't recall hearing of 5 star anything until perhaps Dubai went on a building spree. To me that would mean gold plated Limos on demand with diamonds superglued to it and other things I'd want no part of. To me I think of it as "business class is better than cattle class, but first class is just being ripped off for them putting my "kex around my ankles" due to my indomitable ego complex, and quite pitiful really. That said, each to their own, but a reliable measurement is required rather than a 'no fail' system, as we've all seen what that produces in terms of quality output (education system anyone?).

I would rate the top 10 hotels in Bangkok as follows :

(This is my list, so you have the right to disagree, but I have stayed in all of these residences and there is a clear winner)

Location, size of room, atmosphere, facilities, proximity to the sky train, restaurants and pool areas.

1) The Eastin Sukosol

2) The Mandarin Oriental

3) The Shangri - La

4) The Sheraton Royal Orchid (Riverside)

5) The Peninsular

6) The Pullman

7) The Westin

9) The Sukosol

10) The Anantara (Formerly Marriott)

As I prefer to book into 2 -3 star hotels, and spend my money elsewhere, can't disagree with your ranking.

Congratulations on a look at me list. So when you take a dump, is the toilet seat gold-plated?

Don't know how Forbes awards stars. The Oriental Hotel has been named one of the best hotels in Asia every year for decades. It certainly deserves five stars. Is the Mandarin more expensive? Maybe that's their criterion.

Pullman sucks and Mandarin is top - always was

I was at the Pullman for a Thai wedding with the 10course chinese dinnertables. It wasn't bad at all except the waiters were just students i guess. They couldn't speak a word english.

I know most hotels from weddingparty's only and never ever have a met a waiter who could speak english.

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit is 5 star. JW Marriott used to be. Gone down hill in the past few years. I'm sure plenty others listed above are. Forbes does not know squat!

Stayed at both and they let whores in, 5 star does not IMO.

The two best ones in my view from experience are the Manderin Oriental (although I find ghe staff a bit snobish) and the *Krungthep Wing* of the Shangri la hotel. The KW staff are impeccable as against the main hotel staff are only 3*rated. The krungthep wing takes some beating and if you can get a room on a special your on a winner.

Michelin ones who invented the star rating system, I believe. I went to their website concerning Thailand and hit button for 5 star hotels. "No results found for your search" came up. http://travel.michelin.com/web/destination/Thailand/hotels

Maybe you should hit the correct button. There are 380 5-Star Hotels in Thailand according to your Michelin.......

There are 5 Star Hotels and 5 Star Luxury Hotels.

BS.

It's not BS, there are more hotels who claim to have 5 stars but according to Forbes they don't deserve them.

I stayed in the Mandarin Khao Yai some weeks ago and there wasn't anything to complain about, don't know if it's 5* there but it was good enough for us. Oh yes, the crying Thai kids during breakfast was a bummer, only that was annoying.

So Forbes can't produce BS? Their travel guide used to be Mobil Travel Guide. Would you really use a US gas station to rank hotels in Asia?

Michelin makes tires and they are the most respected restaurant and chef review source in the world. So...

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit is 5 star. JW Marriott used to be. Gone down hill in the past few years. I'm sure plenty others listed above are. Forbes does not know squat!

There is only one thing you can NEVER bring into ANY hotel.............durian.

(This is my list, so you have the right to disagree, but I have stayed in all of these residences and there is a clear winner)

Location, size of room, atmosphere, facilities, proximity to the sky train, restaurants and pool areas.

1) The Eastin Sukosol

2) The Mandarin Oriental

3) The Shangri - La

5) The Peninsular

6) The Pullman

7) The Westin

9) The Sukosol

With the risk of sounding like advertising, you should try Siam Kempinski.

1) The Eastin Sukosol

2) The Mandarin Oriental

3) The Shangri - La

5) The Peninsular

6) The Pullman

7) The Westin

9) The Sukosol

The Eastin Pratunam wouldn't even lift my fathers luggage into the taxi. It was a skinny girl there who even couldn't lift it if she wanted to try.

The Pullman is nice but the personell can't speak english. Speaking english is the biggest problem for all hotels though.

Sheraton Royal orchid don't know how to make coffee even when they have a "real" barista on the terrace. Also they don't give a dime if a guest damages her car on their steap driveway into the garage.

I don't know the other hotels but i guess it's all the same. No english, no trained personell.

For me a 5* hotel needs to have well trained personell who of course can speak good english.

Many of the above written here are BS. I had stayed many times in the mentioned hotels and have NOT encountered any of the issue raised by the Op.

So Forbes can't produce BS? Their travel guide used to be Mobil Travel Guide. Would you really use a US gas station to rank hotels in Asia?

Apparently a French tyre manufacturer is travelling around doing restaurant reviews.

Who cares what Michelin thinks about restaurants?

1) The Eastin Sukosol

2) The Mandarin Oriental

3) The Shangri - La

5) The Peninsular

6) The Pullman

7) The Westin

9) The Sukosol

I can't help noticing that #8 is missing from your top 10. So, this is the top 9 then, is it?

At least the Mandarin get free advertisement in Forbes. There will be more people know about it from Forbes

nothing in this world free , bought and paid for ..........count on it

Hehehe....you're right. But nobody will say it aloud that....it was paid tongue.png

Hotels star ranking is an official issue and done by the hotels association according to a set of standards. They issue an official certificate to the hotel to display. There is also a different hotel ranking standard which goes by first class, superior, deluxe etc'. This system is more common in Thailand. Rankings by any body other than the official is just their opinion

smokie36, on 28 Jan 2016 - 08:36, said:snapback.png

BS.

It's not BS, there are more hotels who claim to have 5 stars but according to Forbes they don't deserve them.

I stayed in the Mandarin Khao Yai some weeks ago and there wasn't anything to complain about, don't know if it's 5* there but it was good enough for us. Oh yes, the crying Thai kids during breakfast was a bummer, only that was annoying.

If a tyre manufacturer "Michelin" can rate restaurants up to 3 Stars, why cannot a "US gas station" do the same with hotels? Just curious.

Can not believe people are actually debating Bangkok. it is a black hole only people that rate it have never ever lived in a true first class city. it is a cesspool bangkok

Maybe. But it's our cesspool.

Why indeed would we want to debate Bangkok hotels on a forum called ThaiVisa?

A nice hotel is a port in the storm cesspool. And if I'm living in Bangkok to collect my paycheck, I don't give a rat about the finest hotel in Paris, Vienna or Hoboken.

How did you know they were whores , were they with you ?

1) The Eastin Sukosol

2) The Mandarin Oriental

3) The Shangri - La

5) The Peninsular

6) The Pullman

7) The Westin

9) The Sukosol

Seriously? The Sheraton is depressing. Overpriced and its ventilation system could use an update. The last time I stayed there, there were far too many creepy middle aged men with their male prostitutes. The Pullman is hit and miss. It's a Novotel for crying out loud.

Most of the hotels you listed are solid 4 stars at best. Even Trip Adviser owned by Expedia and which now includes Travelocity ranks the Manadarin and The Siam as the only 5 * hotels in Bangkok.